• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Trialists

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
"I see Stevenage have made a bid for Lucas. That will make Ronnie think. I don't know how much is being offered or how much Lucas is on, but I'll bet it won't fund a suitable replacement."

Sonko and Amps the new management team at Stevenage?:)

Still need a centre back.

Player
Kenny Irons
Lucas's agent is pushing Danny Holmes's agent in the spin department.

For all his hardwork on the pitch he's hardly put himself in the shop window for other clubs to consider paying money for him and giving him a better contract than he is on at Rovers.

Assume it would have to be a fairly decent contract improvement for him to consider upping sticks and moving to a club that many would consider is a step down from Rovers.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
"I see Stevenage have made a bid for Lucas. That will make Ronnie think. I don't know how much is being offered or how much Lucas is on, but I'll bet it won't fund a suitable replacement."

Sonko and Amps the new management team at Stevenage?:)

Hahaha yeah. Les Parry is our chief scout.

Player
Goodison
If I were Stevenage I'd hold out for us paying them 50k to take Akins...

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Things seem to have gone rather quiet on getting new players in. Not anything on the o/s to suggest more moves in the pipeline. At the moment, the squad is weaker than the one we finished last season with.

As for Akins, Ronnie wanted him to stay, having seen him play. There haven't been a queue of wide-players banging at the doors of PP for a game, so it's not like we're spoiled for choice. If the manager feels Akins will do a decent job for us, then we've got to back his judgement.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Te moves in the pipeline. At the moment, the squad is weaker than the one we finished last season with.

Not sure I agree with this. The only area I can see where further strengthening is definitely needed is out wide, regardless of where Akins ends up. Although some have questioned our strength in the centre of defence and centre midfield, I think we are fine in both areas, barring a rash of serious injuries; a club of our resources is quite sensible in using emergency loans to cover that eventuality, rather than through having a bigger squad of lesser quality.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Breaking down where we are at the moment in my assessment;

Goalkeeper. No cover for OFW WEAKER
Defence. Black isn't as good as Buchanan. Haven't got Raven offering cover at the back. It doesn't look as though Vaulks will get a chance under Ronnie. WEAKER
Midfield. Palmer and Wallace are both great prospects, but lacking experience. Harrison isn't the calibre of Welsh. No out-and-out winger. WEAKER
Attack. Little to choose between Burgess/Showumni. Akpa Akpro undoubtedly an improvement on Tiryaki, but we could do with someone like Cassidy back again. STRONGER

Obviously there is still ample time to bring more players in, but as it stands, we have reduced the quantity of players without significantly improving the quality. I was expecting from Ronnie's end of season remarks that we might have some more stand-out recruits. Perceptions of how things are do not get helped by the lead story on the o/s being Danny Harrison saying that it's like he's never been away!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Agreed Boz. Thanks for saving me a post. We do need at least three more players. But there is still time and a lot of very good players are still looking for clubs. We should be able to afford them once they realise how low club budgets have sunk. It's definitely a buyers market at our end of the spectrum.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
midfield is not weaker

we will bring in more players ffs

Player
Manager
John King
I would not agree that the midfield is weaker. Under Ronnie we will only ever play two in the centre: Wallace has shown he is the match for anyone in the division in that position, regardless of a relative lack of experience; Palmer possibly is a bit raw, hence Wednesday letting him out on loan, but will probably be at least a match for Welsh in terms of ability. In the back up roles I do not see much difference between Harrison and the underperforming, underwhelming Labadie and Weir. Given games this season, Power could actually turn out to be better than either of those two.

Out wide we have Robinson, McGurk and Bakayogo on the left, and extra cover is not really needed as Robinson will play every game in that position if fit.

On the right we do need an extra man as we only have Akins who may / may not stay.

At the back I don't think we are as badly off as some suggest, although there is obviously a question mark over the number of games Goodison will manage in the season. McChrystal provides cover and is capable of doing an adequate job; I don't see how we can afford to have two senior, experienced centre backs sitting on the bench for the majority of the season given our limited resources, and major injuries would have to be covered by loans.

At left back, you can argue over the relative merits of Buchanan and Bakayogo, but we also have Black as cover.

I would agree that at right back we probably are a bit weak, with only Kay as back up. However, given that we are committed to Kay for another year I don't think it would be sensible to bring in a third RB and have two sitting on the bench / in the reserves all season.

I see the number two goalkeeping position as an irrelevance as injuries will always be covered by loans in that area, as was the case with Rachubka last season. We are only ever going to bring in a kid for peanuts in that role, in the hope that he develops in the coming years.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
amen

change from 4-5-1 to 4-4-2 means that we swap a central midfielder for a striker in our squad. so if anything, given the injury problems burgess and aa have already had, i'm slightly concerned by our cover up top. is mcgurk our only proper replacement? when he's prob more injury prone than the other two put together...

WildRover

Player
Kevin Gray (ha!)
amen

change from 4-5-1 to 4-4-2 means that we swap a central midfielder for a striker in our squad. so if anything, given the injury problems burgess and aa have already had, i'm slightly concerned by our cover up top. is mcgurk our only proper replacement? when he's prob more injury prone than the other two put together...

is he though, or was that Les? We have had some shocking player injuries over the recent years, and im wondering if they will be less frequent with les not there, so, like preseason no pissing around up and down sanddunes, etc...

Player
Manager
John King
Eh? When did Buchanan come back?

My point was that some people may think Buchanan was better than the player who will replace him at left back next season, Bakayogo. So you could argue we are weaker in that position.

I am well aware of his (probably misguided) move to Deepdale.

Player
Liam Palmer
My point was that some people may think Buchanan was better than the player who will replace him at left back next season, Bakayogo. So you could argue we are weaker in that position.

I am well aware of his (probably misguided) move to Deepdale.

LOL. Just making close season fun!

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
is he though, or was that Les? We have had some shocking player injuries over the recent years, and im wondering if they will be less frequent with les not there, so, like preseason no pissing around up and down sanddunes, etc...

McGurk has always been injury prone

drwhoman

LOANEE

I see Brendan Rodgers wants to send Raheem Sterling out on loan to get a regular game - on the horn Ronnie! Alternatively, Tony Silva did very well for Northampton last year - another winger. They are both young but so are Palmer and Wallace. Better to give a go to youngsters like this than some 30yr old injury prone guy who was probably good once!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
With regard to our midfield, Wallace is a known quantity and I'm very happy he's with Rovers. It's stretching a point to describe Palmer as a Championship midfielder; he's not played at that level. Owls fans seem fairly positive about him, although he can play wide, his preferred position is CM. My concern is, that with both being quite attack-minded, is there more of a risk of leaving the defence exposed.

Harrison can do a job as the defensive midfielder, although a tendency to go missing when it gets tough needs to have been eradicated from his game. I still think Weir is better and could chip in with a handful of goals. Max Power is a bit of an enigma, but hope he's given and takes a chance in pre-season to show what he can do.

Wingers we still need. Drwhoman, I'd expect that Sterling is more likely to be loaned out at a higher level, as apparently Swansea tried to loan him last season, but Tony Silva sounds more plausible.

On the left-back issue, doesn't the fact Black has been given the number 3 shirt suggest Ronnie views him as 1st choice there?

drwhoman

LOANEES

I am sure you are right re Sterling Boz but it is the principle really. Devaney was clearly past his sell by date sadly for him. Silva played well for the Liverpool Youth team the other day apparently.