• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Transfer window

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Fenwick looks a decent signing on paper, I just hope he gels quickly enough with the rest of the team.

Does anyone know what kind of player he is ?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
He scored against us for Pools in Ronnie's Rovers return, so at least can find the net at PP. Despite being fond of a burger, he looks slimmer than some recent recruits and is in his mid 20s. Hasn't had much football for Pools in the last month or so, but prior to that was getting regular opportunities, so hopefully reasonably fit.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Not sure on his style, but he can score goals and at this level I think he'll do OK.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
He's a strange one. Despite being 25 he's quite inexperienced, having only been a full-time pro for less than 18 months. He made his name in non-league football either side of the Scottish border before joining Pools in November 2014. Despite a good scoring record there in League Two, he has been released for some reason. However, for "inexperienced" read "late developer" (like Lois Maynard), so we might see him improve. I would expect James Quinn to take him under his wing and try to bring him on, but it's a gamble for everyone.

Last edited:

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
I note Doncaster have just signed a midfielder from Runcorn - Donaldson I think. Wonder whether we had a look? There must be decent players out there in the lower leagues.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Obviously we signed Stephenson from Chorley who clearly has potential and an eye for goal but perhaps not ready for our level yet.

Can't think of any others in recent years but always frustrates me when I see clubs nowhere near us picking up our local players. Must happen to all clubs in all areas though I guess.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
And Jimmy Cumbes from Runcorn. But that was a long time ago. Basically we seem to get our players through the transfer system, usually from clubs at our level or above. A few graduate from the academy (but not as many as before). Hardly any arrive from non-league clubs.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Did we not initially pick up Robbo from Lairds?
I remember a John Aspinall in the early eighties who we definitely got from Lairds. Real fans favourite at that time who disappeared off the radar. Very similar to Max Power.
Teams are sniffing around Max. Do we get anything from a sell on?

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yeah I think we did get Robbo from lairds. I remember seeing him up front with Gary Jones I think away at Bury on a cold Tuesday night in the LDV Vans trophy. We lost 2-1 and he was poor. Little would we know as an attacking midfielder he'd make a name for himself at Swansea.

It will be interesting about Max. Such a key player for Wigan in their promotion last season and even though they have struggled this season and sacked their manager, he's been a regular in the side. Will be interesting if he does leave the latics where he goes.

A few deals in the national league already including Wrexham releasing 5 plays in the last few days.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I was also at that Bury game, the only appearance Robbo made for us in his first spell.

Max has done fantastically well since leaving us. He probably has the best attitude of any of the young players that have come through in recent years, and makes the absolute maximum of his ability.

In other news, James Jennings, a left back and brother of Connor who we tried to sign in the summer has joined Wrexham. A great signing for them.

Last edited:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
The dragons have also signed experienced frontman Izale McLeod. A player I always liked with his power and a decent goal scoring record.

Possibly past it but only 32. Will be interesting how he does.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Wouldn't have minded James Jennings here, a decent left-back. Ridehalgh has improved under Micky, but better to have options other than playing Hughes, who's more use in midfield or out of position players like Ihiekwe. McLeod also a decent acquisition.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Forest Green have sold their commanding centre half Charlie Clough to Barnet.

Good news for us as he was their supporters player of the year last season and I've always been impressed by him.

drwhoman

Yes - Barnet appear to have paid money for him so you wonder if Mr FGR has decided that maybe promotion is not a good idea for a club that is only in the NL because of his money. Promotion would presumably only increase his financial commitment.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I think there's an element of their current manager not rating him. When you give out as long a contract as Mark Cooper has, think 5 years, then you have to be prepared to back his decisions. Think Forest Green's strategy has been based on getting into the FL, indeed may be dependent on it. Could only see their chair pulling out if he'd decided that was no longer feasible

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Rumours we are signing ex Shrewsbury man Ian Black. MM knows him well and although nothing on the o/s, Wikipedia says he plays for us. Apparently a little battler in midfield, a poor mans joey Barton with a poor disciplinary record and a previous suspension for betting. Not sure if we need this sort of player at the moment but will wait to hear if it's confirmed by the club before commenting any further.

Last edited: