• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Transfer window

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
His record for us wasn't that bad and if we had played to his strengths more often, i.e. up alongside another front man with wingers, I'd argue we'd have more points on the board than we do, not withstanding our decent good run.

Its just frustrating when 1) you see someone clearly capable of scoring 25 goals a season leave us and 2) the general concerns, particularly at home, that we don't score enough and it could be our undoing later on in the season.

As you say we should forget about him but I suspect most rovers fans, when they see his name come up again on the Shrews scoresheet, will scratch their head a bit.

There are similarities with Benteke in that Liverpool don't play to his strengths, and are doing poorly in my view as a consequence. He scored loads of goals with Villa from wide areas with his head. If Liverpool were winning games then it would be justified - but they aren't. Up until recently it was the same with us and many think if Norwood gets injured we'll be in trouble.

Trust in Gary I suppose.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Benteke scored loads for Aston Villa, naff all for Liverpool. The point is, just because mangan scores in a league that plays less kick and rush and for a team he has always played well in, and in a formation that suits, with players complementing his strengths, and with players who cost more than ours, doesn't mean he would have scored loads for us. Time to move on and focus on what we have. He isn't here....

Mangan has been prolific at National League level throughout his career. He was scoring on a regular basis for us. After scoring two against Bromley, again on a Tuesday night at Wrexham, he unfortunately picked up a minor injury. When he was fit again, he was inexplicably ignored by the manager and stuck out on the left wing on the handful of substitute appearances he was given.

Yes, he has gone, but Brabin's decision to get rid of him and Margetts will be taken into account when Brabin is assessed at the end of the season. Not least by the Chairman I should imagine.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Sorry Mal for going on but it's even more frustrating because players of that ability who can score goals aren't easy to find at this level.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I understand that the loan transfer market reopens for NL clubs next week. However, players can only move for a maximum of 93 days. Being optimistic, if we want any loan signing to be eligible for the play-off final on 15th May, we would need to wait until 13th February or later. However, I'm not sure who will be available in 9 days time who wasn't available last week. Maybe GB knows better.

Player
Manager
John King
Matt Tubbs signs for Eastleigh. A fantastic signing for them, bad news for us, and just shows the kind of ridiculous money they are throwing around.

That said, they are without a win in nine and are currently losing to Kidderminster........

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King
Eastleigh lost 3-2 in the end, which was obviously an excellent result for us. Grimsby won one of their games in hand at Bromley and appear certain to finish in the top three, along with Cheltenham and FGR. However, the final two play-off places appear very much up for grabs.

On the transfer front, there is a rumour doing the rounds that Michael Higdon will finally sign for us in the next couple of days. Whether there is any substance to it, I have no idea.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Were it not that Cheltenham appear near invincible, I'd quite fancy Grimsby to streamroller their way to the top. Wrexham drew at Alty and are looking unlikely to make one of the other two play-off slots, though wouldn't rule them out totally. Eastleigh, Braintree, Dover and Rovers the other contenders, assuming Forest Green will at least make the play-offs.

Higdon is a free agent, so a little puzzled that if he is signing for us, it wasn't done sooner. In his early 30s, though with a decent strike rate and 6'1" tall, so possibly more of a target man. Having got into a bit of form playing with Norwood as a lone striker, would not like to see him shunted out wide and would prefer someone who's a similar style to Norwood, unsure if Higdon will fit the bill. He would meet Brabin's unstated aim of increasing the average age of the squad even more though.

Player
Manager
John King
I think he would be a decent signing, provided he is happy to sit on the bench for the time being. I would not like to see our tactics changed for the sake of it when we are in such a rich vein of form. That said, we definitely need to bring in another striker.

As with Grimsby, I think our squad is strong enough to have challenged for the title this season, but our pre-Christmas form obviously ended those hopes.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Higdon is an interesting one. A local lad with good experience although didn't feature much at Sheff Utd but scored 5 in 11 for Oldham last year in L1. I'll be surprised if he signs for us as surely there will be L2 clubs interested in him, possibly L1 still.

Also - surely he won't want to drop into the national league - unless we could perhaps promise a starting place. And we can't do that at the moment given the form of Norwood and the general form of the side. He won't want to warm the bench with only a few years left of his career. I'm not GBs biggest fan but surely even he would not shift Norwood out wide on a permanent basis to incorporate a target man.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Why do we have to sarcifice someone out wide? It would certainly be refreshing to see two forwards on the pitch, especially at home, although I take RLC point about not wanting to disturb the side on a good run. He'd be a great option to have as our other options up front are limited.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
To quote myself: "surely he won't want to drop into the national league" - just shows what I know!

He has signed until the end of the season. Hopefully his fitness won't be an issue as not sure how much football he has played recently but on paper a really good signing. As has been stated, you wonder where he will fit into our current system. Like Ian I would be happy with 4-4-2 at home with Higdon & Norwood, but as also stated, we're on a good run so if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

He must be on a decent wage and I assume the Mangan funds have contributed.

Player
Manager
John King
Great signing. As I said previously, I just hope we bed him in gradually and don't rush to change a successful system. Credit to palios for pushing the boat out once again.

drwhoman

Good signing. I see Ronnie Moore has been given the push. After his efforts last season Pool are still struggling. Football management is a harsh business!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Excellent signing. I think he's the type of player we need. Bit of a poacher and someone not afraid to get their head on the ball.
Here's a little teaser for you..

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Good player should do a good job for us as long as we can provide decent service for him

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Holness extends his stay at Alty until the end of the season but Richie Sutton joins Barrow on loan also until the end of the season.

I'm actually a fan of Sutton but with Hogan's return to fitness it makes sense if he wants to play football. Ihikwe/McNuly have been excellent of late. We have Riley too as back up and if say Vaughan got injured, Maynard could play at RB if required.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Holness extends his stay at Alty until the end of the season but Richie Sutton joins Barrow on loan also until the end of the season.

I'm actually a fan of Sutton but with Hogan's return to fitness it makes sense if he wants to play football. Ihikwe/McNuly have been excellent of late. We have Riley too as back up and if say Vaughan got injured, Maynard could play at RB if required.
100% agree, Sparky, and of course we could always recall either player if needed. It keeps them fit and saves money.

Interestingly, Richie was one of only three players signed last summer on two-year deals, so GB must have thought highly of him at the time.

Player
Manager
John King
Personally, I find the decision to send Sutton out on loan very strange. He is a better defender than Riley and Liam Hogan is far from match fit at the moment. I think letting Sutton go leaves us a bit light defensively, and adds substance to the rumours that there has been a falling out with Brabin.

I am pleased that Holness has been a success at Alty and seems to be getting his career back on track.