• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Transfer window

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Not a big fan of Sutton, think he's one of our weakest defenders.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Not a big fan of Sutton, think he's one of our weakest defenders.
Not with you on this, Ian. Of the trio of central defenders Brabin recruited at the start of this season, Richie looked most promising pre-season and was vocal and a good organiser. Hogan is injury-prone and Riley hasn't convinced. Having been shunted out from central defence, he just got to grips with the right-back role, when Vaughan was recruited and hasn't had a look-in since. Given he signed up for two years, you have to wonder if something's gone on behind the scenes. Barrow seem to be using him as a right-back.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think he is a solid player at this level and there has definitely been a falling out with Brabin. We just have to hope Big Mac and Ihiekwe - who have been brilliant recently - stay injury free.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Boz, his defending is OK but his distribution is woeful and is very limited in what he can do. He's not the type of player we need moving forward.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Cole Stockton loaned to Morecambe for a month. Interesting that an experienced manager a league above us thinks he can do a job for them.

Player
Manager
John King
They are on a terrible run, so perhaps they are just a bit desperate ? Stockton has had plenty of chances with us and just has not progressed - it was Les who gave him his debut over four years ago.

I agree with Brabin about this one, although Higdon would be the first out of the door if it was my decision.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I agree, they must be desperate. He'll score one or two on his debut and then that'll be it for 10 games.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
GB really doesn't like Margetts. He's been shipped out on loan again, this time to Southport until the end of the season, where we can recall him after 28 days at which time our season may be over.

At the end of the season his contract will finish and if Johnny has any sense, he'll walk away to a club that appreciates him.

So at a crucial time of the season, we have 2 recognised strikers out on loan - Stockton & Margetts. This leaves us with Norwood & Higdon. The latter has not impressed overall, partly due to his fitness issues. We also have GTF but he isn't a forward and only has 2 goals for us this season. Our midfielders such as Mekki, Hughes etc. aren't scoring enough goals either, so this decision is a bit baffling - but then our bench on Saturday had no recognised striker either, so GB clearly thinks we don't need one - even though we were crying out for some fresh legs up front on Saturday towards the end.

GB has said it will free up some funds so we can strengthen before the loan window closes at the end of the week. I would rather have had our own players playing, rather than a loanee expected to come in and gel straight away, at such an important part of the season.

We clearly have a problem scoring goals, so why you ship out your strikers at this stage of the season is beyond me - unless he is bringing someone decent in. But a loanee is risky......Jake Cassidy anyone? Well out of favour at Oldham, but GB will probably sign a centre half !

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Totally mystified.
It's as though GB is being deliberately awkward to prove some sort of point, "I'm the boss" routine.

He's right, he is, but this sort of thing must have the players scratching their heads let alone us supporters.

I agree that Margetts should be looking elsewhere for the future. The poor lad has wasted a season with us.

Isn't Nors a booking away from suspension?

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Sparky, I hope your joking about Jake Cassidy as hes been hopless since he left us and has hardly scored any goals

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Sparky, I hope your joking about Jake Cassidy as he's been hopeless since he left us and has hardly scored any goals
He had a good strike rate for us in League One, so unless he has serious fitness or attitude problems, he should be a success in the National League. Anyway, he'd be a lot better than anyone we've tried this season. Whether he'd come is another matter.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
The reference to Cassidy was said a bit tongue in cheek. Even if he were available he isn't any good unless you play with wide men imo getting crosses in. He's a poacher and GB doesn't like them.

It's a shame he has lost his way but big mart is right in that Cassidy has done nothing since he left us.

I can only assume GB has a decent striker lined up as if Norwood gets another booking, highly likely given his temperament, won't he miss 2 games??

Player
Manager
John King
I agree with most of the comments above about Margetts. He is no world beater (although how would we know given how few games he has played ?) but he is capable of scoring a goal and is a different player to any of the other strikers we have. His goalscoring record this season actually is not bad - 8 goals from 22 appearances, not all of them starts - and if nothing else he is capable of coming off the bench and nicking a goal. By contrast, Higdon has scored 1 in 6, GTF 2 in 16. To get rid of Margetts when we are struggling so badly for goals makes no sense whatsoever.

I know there are suggestions someone is coming in on loan to replace him, but I am not fussed on that idea unless it is someone who has been playing regularly. It would take a new arrival 7 games just to get match fit, something Higdon still has not managed.

With regards to Jake Cassidy, since his second successful loan spell with us, he has scored 5 goals in 62 games, none at all this season. I think Dean Saunders ruined him by recalling him to Wolves too early, and every manager since has used him as a target man rather than an eighteen yard box player. It is a shame, as he was a great player for us in that initial nine month period, but I certainly would not want him back.

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It is very difficult to understand the logic of this. Margetts isn't that bad and provides options. Shaun Garnett mentioned Higdon will be available for Lincoln, but given his lack of fitness, Norwood's proximity to a ban and Stockton already out on loan, we are desperately short up front. It's not even as though Riley/Hogan could play the Goody role as emergency forward from the bench. At this point, any loanee will face the difficulties RLC highlights above.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
We have two good keepers, a settled competent defence and a number of good players in midfield. All this is wasted if we can't put our chances away, which has been our problem in all but a handful of games all season. Norwood has talent and speed but is erratic and his high energy style means he is likely to miss a few games through suspension and injury. Even when we had Mangan we scored fewer goals than our rivals, so why GB lets so many strikers go before he gets adequate replacements is baffling. Margetts has promise but lacks experience and confidence and you must wonder if he had had as many games as Ben Tomlinson was given, he might now be repaying his manager's faith. It's clear Higdon is past his best and unlikely to score many goals. With a top NL budget and a manager who knows the league well, it's very disappointing we can't find better forwards.

drwhoman

I agree entirely BBTC. Brabin has a real blind spot regarding strikers because this is what has really cost us this season. There is too much reliance on Norwood whose goals to shots (excluding penalties) ratio cannot be very high while Higdon, unless he suddenly hits the form that he has been capable of in the past, will prove to have been an expensive error. We must wait and to see if this failing ultimately costs GB his job be it in the summer or next season. The fact that he seems to be pretty inflexible in his man management approach does not help either.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Rumours are that Scott Fenwick is joining from Hartlepool. A striker/wide man who played a bit at Pools under Ronnie but has fallen out of favour since RM left and Hignett took over.

I can picture him and from what I remember, he isn't the most mobile at all. I'm not sure how much football he has played of late either and as RLC points out, we cannot afford to have an unfit loanee. Another player without any real pace if I remember rightly.

If correct then he deserves a chance but I fail to see how this is a better option that Margetts or Stockton.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Update - now signed until the end of the season.

Has a half decent strike rate this season and did well helping keep Hartlepool up last season. Hopefully he is fit and raring to go.

M

Mal

I thought he was a guitarist with Al Stewart. Guess Brabin pulled a few strings to get him.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Well, let's see. He's only got eight games to play. At least he should be fit for the playoffs!