• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Transfer window

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Black would be a puzzling signing. We're relatively well off for central midfielders, and he's approaching the latter stages of his career at 32.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Black would be a puzzling signing. We're relatively well off for central midfielders, and he's approaching the latter stages of his career at 32.
Might make sense if it's a short term deal as cover and competition, but how MM plans to keep them all match fit, I don't know

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Not a particularly popular chap, especially in Scotland. Thanks for the info Sparky, we shall see.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
The black signing is a strange one, unless at least one of Harris, Jennings or Maynard are on their way out. Funny, because at the q and a I asked mm if he was happy with the creativity in midfield and he did not say 'no'. However, if this deal went through he would have completely reshaped the midfield he inherited from brabin. Perhaps that is understandable with the passing game we have now adopted. However, it is always risky to bring in a couple of players lacking match fitness in the same area of the team. Then again, the rumour may be rubbish.

Last edited:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I don't think we have enough creativity in midfield. Jennings is a defensive midfielder, Harris breaks the play down and Maynards quality isn't that great going forward.

We have Wallace and Connor Jennings but they need game time so I do think we need more creativity in there whether that be from Black or not.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Ian. you've omitted Jeff Hughes, arguably the most creative of the current crop of central midfielders. It doesn't seem that Black is particularly noted for that aspect of his game.

I'm not sure that we are lacking in creativity, since Brabin left. Recent games have seen plenty of scoring opportunities. It's an ability to convert those which has been lacking.

Player
Manager
John King
Assuming there is any truth in this rumour, I think Mellon wants his defensive midfielder to be as comfortable on the ball as Wallace and Hughes to play a passing game. He probably thinks the trio mentioned above are a bit deficient in that regard, although s Jennings is the best of them on the ball.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Everton have made a strange signing in the window - bringing back Jose Baxter on a 1 year deal which will run from when his current drugs ban ends in the summer.

Now 24, whatever has gone on in the past I don't thinks he's premier league material and by the sounds of it, neither do Everton. He'll train with their U23s and is apparently not on a 'first team contract'. They obviously feel sorry for him and have said they are helping him out.

On the subject of ex Everton youngsters, another former rover George Green who joined Oldham briefly after leaving Everton and played at Ossett Town, has joined Kilmarnock on loan from Burnley where he got a 6 month contract at Xmas.

You wonder what Wallace thinks of all this.

Player
Manager
John King
The rumour is that Black is arriving this week on a two year deal. I don't think we need him but I suppose we just have to trust MM's judgement.

In the long term, you just have to hope that over a period of 6-12 months players like Wallace and Dawson do become integrated. As depressing as it seems, perhaps we have to limit our expectations for this season and give Mellon a full summer to reshape the squad and get his ideas across.

drwhoman

I see FGR have lost Frear to Motherwell and Macc's Jamie Rowe has gone to Ipswich. If Black is signed it can only suggest that there will be a midfield clear out in the summer. We seem to have enough bodies but they may not be to MM's liking.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think there will be a clear out. Players such as S.Jennings, Mekki, Almond. Maybe even Maynard aren't the players we need to move us forward.

I'd imagine Black is a Harris type of player. Nipping at heels, breaking up play. Not sure where this leaves Harris.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
All quiet on the Tranmere o/s but Shrewsbury have cancelled Ian Blacks contract and he is a free agent.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
All quiet on the Tranmere o/s but Shrewsbury have cancelled Ian Blacks contract and he is a free agent.
That's what happened with Wallace, so it looks a done deal. Clearly, MM recognises defensive midfield as a problem but I share RLC's concern that few if any of our legion of mid-season signings in recent years have made a significant impact on the team's performance, except possibly for the worse. I wonder what the effect on team morale is when these players arrive.

Colin K

Player
Ryan Taylor
I see Omar Boggle has just been sold for £1m. Not a bad bit of business...I know we were linked with him for a while at the start of last season when he played non league and he's kicked on and is top goal scorer in League 2 so far this season. Good to see players coming up and shows it can be good business if you sign the right ones!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Jack Dunn an attacker on loan from Liverpool. Was at Morecambe on loan earlier in the season, played alongside Cole, but fell out of favour and the loan finished early.

Do we really need another forward at this time? The Red Scouse apparently loan players out with a financial penalty if they don't play 75% of games, hope we've not agreed to anything like that.

drwhoman

Jack Dunn scored a few goals for the Shrimps. They have financial problems. I have always thought he had something when playing for Pool Reserves. We have a lot of forwards but they do not score many goals other than Cook. We cannot simply rely on him and Tollitt. We have not truly hammered any one this season.