• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Transfer window

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
The Dunn signing came right out of left field. I wasn't expecting another striker. And why, after spending time with league clubs, has he been sent to us? Is he the next Tollitt, who we'll sign permanently?

We've got more than two full teams of pros on contract plus him. Where is the money coming from to have so many players kicking their heels? Only one or two are currently out on loan to other clubs and I'm surprised we haven't offloaded some of the out of favour players. MP seems to be intent on promotion or bust.

drwhoman

I agree BBTC. I am not sure why those who have clearly been discarded like Almond have not been loaned out but we will see! This signing suggests that MM considers that Norwood/Mangan and Stockton do not have what it takes to get us out of this League. Now the Solar Campus is open MP will want us up the pyramid asap.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
With MP obsession at getting us out of this league ASAP I can understand the signing. With no room for error, we need to be banging the goals in and that's clearly been a problem.

Mangan and Norwood should be scoring more. I think there was another good chance for Norwood last night which he missed (not that it mattered in the end) but if we get chances we have to put them away.

With five points separating us from top there are still plenty of points to play. I certainly don't want to opt for the lottery of the playoffs.

iandavid59

Adam Buxton signs as well a Centre Back who played for Accrington and was released by Portsmouth. Wow we now have a really big squad surely some to go out on loan thinking of Mekki and Almond.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Another local lad, Buxton has a bit of L2 experience with Accrington but didn't get a look in at Portsmouth. 24 years of age, he can apparently play anywhere across the defence. This makes sense I guess as the fullbacks arguably need some competition which could come from Buxton or Sutton, if the latter went to RB meaning Big Mac, Ihikwe & Buxton (all scousers), at the heart of the defence.

As iandavid suggests, we're going to have to build another changing room at this rate! Maybe the coach broke down yesterday with all that weight !

Although the deadline has passed I'm assuming clubs can still sign players on loan? Mekki has been linked with Morecambe and surely the likes of Almond have zero chance of playing for us. I won't even mention my favourite Adam Dawson...

Jack Dunn can apparently play up top but is more of an attacking midfielder who is left footed and with pace so an exciting signing potentially. But as I say, where this leaves the likes of Mekki, Almond & Dawson remains to be seen.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
The transfer window no longer applies below the EFL, so we can sign whom we want. However, we can't sell players to EFL clubs. Therefore, we could sell or loan any of the squad to NL clubs or below.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Quite a few issues raised here.

On squad size, I share BBTCs puzzlement about the numbers and funding. Micky has adopted a policy of minimal change, which means there are a lot of players who have had little opportunity and I don't see the need for such a big squad. The NL transfer window closes at the end of March, so until then, we can certainly deal at that level. Unsure if we released unwanted players from their contract, they could be snapped up by FL teams, but I don't see why not.

MM has indicated one of the factors on loaning Dunn was that he's a left-footed player, a scarcity in the current squad. It would concern me, as stated earlier in this thread if there was any requirement to play him in a certain percentage of games. Tried to get a sense of his loan time at Morecambe and opinion was mixed though broadly favourable on their board. This quote did raise an eyebrow though
"He's OK, but it's hard to believe he's from Liverpool and Stockton is from Tranmere."
4 goals in 10 games, loan spell ended early, doesn't suggest that he'll be streets ahead of others already here. I've never seen him play, but wish him well while on loan with us. However, when we've got 3 of last season's NL top scorers in our line-up, one of whom, Connor Jennings, Micky seems reluctant to give an opportunity to, I remain to be convinced.

Good news on the recruitment of Adam Buxton, who will give us much-needed cover across the back. If he looks the part and we go up, presumably a longer deal might be available.

Don't think Robinson was a consistent performer for Lincoln and their fans don't seem too disheartened about his departure

M

Mal

The Dunn signing may indicate MM wants a provider who can score as well. Let's face it, we haven't exactly been scoring for fun.So maybe the fact we can have the luxury of carrying a few as backup is good. Far better than having little backup as we had under Ronnie after that 12 match start and injuries started to bite. Maybe we have our Morrisey and Nevin in Buxton and Tollit?

And the Tranmere management/scouts have obviously been watching Buxton.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think Mal hits on a good point here. For the amount of players we now have, it looks like the strategy for this season is to get in as many players as possible. Someone mentioned in another thread its pretty much win or bust here. With only five points separating us from top spot I can see the logic there. We certainly don't want it slipping away.

My main concern and something RLC touched on is the constant tinkering with such a big squad.
Let's hope it works out.

Player
Backayogo
I think it is as simple as this. Sign a striker to kick the others up the backside. As stated we have three of the NL's top scorers who have not been doing it. Signing another one gives more competition and makes you work that bit harder.(hopefully).
The defence needs bolstering, so a good signing.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I am pleased by both of these signings. I am concerned when we bring in ageing or unfit players mid-season, but neither of these players fit that description.

The Buxton signing is a no-brainer as we have been short of defensive cover all season. With regard to Dunn, it is all very well having two of 'the top strikers in the NL' but neither of them have scored for weeks. I like Mangan and Norwood but if we are totally reliant on Cook to get us goals we won't be promoted and we are running out of games now. Either those two are spurred into some form or Dunn gets a chance. Stockton looks sharp at the moment, but is too similar to Cook to partner him. Added to which, it seems Dunn offers us something different in wide areas, and people have been complaining for weeks about the lack of quality we have wide, with none of Kirby, Mekki or (at present) Dawson good enough to feature there regularly.

With regard to the cost of the signings, they will clearly have been budgeted for and Palios is not going to put us in jeopardy for the sake of a couple of new faces. In many ways Mellon has been very cautious up to now in his treatment of players he inherited from Brabin, but it now seems clear that Almond, Stephenson and others don't feature in his plans and I imagine they will depart in the summer.

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King
Don't think Robinson was a consistent performer for Lincoln and their fans don't seem too disheartened about his departure

I had to smile at this. Our fans would be going apoplectic if we sold someone like Cook or Tollitt to a league club. Losing Robinson is bad news for Lincoln as he has been in superb form for them recently. They have Marriott as back up who is a good player, but Robinson had an effective partnership with Rhead, has genuine pace and has played at a higher level.

It may or may not affect Lincoln in the long term, but there is no doubt it is good news for their rivals.

Player
Manager
John King
4 goals in 10 games, loan spell ended early, doesn't suggest that he'll be streets ahead of others already here. I've never seen him play, but wish him well while on loan with us. However, when we've got 3 of last season's NL top scorers in our line-up, one of whom, Connor Jennings, Micky seems reluctant to give an opportunity to, I remain to be convinced.

4 goals in 10 games is a good return in a higher division. Connor Jennings is injured as far as I am aware.

drwhoman

I was reflecting on the Dunn signing. Maybe he has an ability to cross a ball as the full backs are inconsistent and MM does not appear to have much faith in Mekki or Dawson. The latter signing is a strange one given that he has barely featured. On other players, I see Scunthorpe have loaned Margetts out - I cannot remember who to.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I see Scunthorpe have loaned Margetts out - I cannot remember who to.
He's gone to Crewe having been limited, not surprisingly to a few sub apps.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
4 goals in 10 games is a good return in a higher division. Connor Jennings is injured as far as I am aware.
Connor Jennings travelled with the side and was warming up on the pitch pre-match according to Wirral Radio. I don't see him fitting particularly well into a 433 formation though maybe a 4312.

3 of Dunn's 4 came in the same game.

Maybe the Imps fans are putting a brave face on Robinson's departure. He was on non-contract terms and appeared influential, though not a prolific scorer.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
It's been incredible to see so many players being signed. If Ian Black joins, we will have 32 pros on contract plus one loanee, equivalent to three full teams! It must be decades since we had that number on the books. Even in the sixties, I can't remember that many. The club has only managed to loan out five youngsters, mainly on short term deals, so the wage bill must be huge. It also means that about a third of our players will have no game in any week. Even allowing for suspensions, injuries, loss of form and bust-ups with the manager, we have way too many. It's great that MP is backing MM and giving us every chance of promotion, but surely we must be looking to offload five or six - on loan or permanently - before long. Ideally, I'd like us to loan them to teams struggling in this league, e.g. Southport and Wrexham. They could make life difficult for our rivals but would be ineligible to play against us.

Player
Manager
John King
We have a wage budget of 1.1 million and I doubt if that has been exceeded, even with the new arrivals. In reality the squad is not that big as there are 4 or 5 players mellon clearly does not rate. I am surprised more players have not gone in the opposite direction, but it is understandable that mellon will want to bring in his own people having had time to assess everybody.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I suppose releasing players is not really on the agenda if we are under the wage budget. I'd imagine quite a few will be shipped out as MM starts to shape his team at the end of the season, promotion or not.