• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Transfer window

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Sound tactic, letting Altrincham have more chance of taking 3 points off our rivals, as was the case today.
As drwhoman says above, if Norwood gets injured, what then? While Margetts earning a penalty and scoring a goal against our play-off rivals is good, being in a position to influence our game is better.

M

Mal

Clearly, there is a reason. Whether it be fitness or not fitting in to formations. He wasn't exactly prolific for us, for whatever reason.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
There's a Brabin reason, which are often hard to fathom for normal mortals. Margetts hasn't been given much of a run-out, in comparison with players like Tomlinson 0 goals and Taylor-Fletcher 1 goal. I'd still feel more comfortable with another striker available.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Margetts should be in our squad, supporting our promotion push. He is better than Stockton and there is no logical reason for brabins treatment of him.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Jack mackreth signs till end of the season
We've now got four "wingers" in Mekki, Kirby, Hughes and Mackreth. That probably means GB is no longer after Adam Dawson. I think the squad is up to strength in quantity and almost in quality, except for a Mangan replacement.

Player
Manager
John King
We've now got four "wingers" in Mekki, Kirby, Hughes and Mackreth. That probably means GB is no longer after Adam Dawson. I think the squad is up to strength in quantity and almost in quality, except for a Mangan replacement.

Yes, I agree BBTC. I think we still need another striker.

Interesting footage of Mackreth below.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Great strike. I think he might have some ability out wide but agree 100% about a striker.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Yes, that's a great shot, especially with his left foot. Let's hope he plays with as much confidence for us.

The OS today quotes GB as saying we are unlikely to sign a striker today but may still get one on loan soon. Reading between the lines, I think he realises he is short of options up front but he is finding it difficult to find anyone anywhere near as good as Andy Mangan. Surprise, surprise!

drwhoman

Agree BBTC. I was reflecting yesterday that later in the month he could have been playing for is against Cheltenham. In fact he will have to put up with playing against Man Utd! (LOL -grimace!). Thanks Gary he probably thinks.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It's a bit disappointing that we haven't recruited another striker. Loans don't inspire as a solution and Brabin's persistence with the lone forward strategy may come back to haunt us.

Player
Manager
John King
Loans don't inspire as a solution and Brabin's persistence with the lone forward strategy may come back to haunt us.

I agree with this. If Norwood gets injured or goes out of form, we will be in big trouble. I think it is also complacent to assume the 4-5-1 formation will work indefinitely and we will never need to switch to a front two; we have already switched formation on several occasions this season in periods of poor form. If we did play two up front we would have very few options at the moment.

On other matters, Michael O'Halloran who we had on loan in 2012-13 signed for Rangers today. I saw some footage of him when I was north of the border last week, and he seemed to have progressed a lot from his time with us.

Evan Horwood has also sigend for Grimsby. Defensively awful for us in League One, but a good addition for them at this level.

Last edited:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes o'halloran has done well in Scotland but other ex rovers are doing well too: ash, fonners, shay Logan, David Raven, even Craig curran who has scored a few goals for Ross county.

You only need to look at rangers who have won most of their games in their league with some very average former English league 1 players.

I reckon even GTF would do a job!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Didn't we score 4 goals when Norwood was unavailable?
Yes, with the sold Andy Mangan getting two of them and the on-loan Jonny Margetts the other two.

Player
Manager
John King
Yes, with the sold Andy Mangan getting two of them and the on-loan Jonny Margetts the other two.

Ha ha. I think the events of the last five minutes at Barrow won't be repeated too often if that is what Mal was referring to.

More significantly, only two teams in the top half have scored fewer goals than us, even taking into account Norwood's dozen.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Agree with RLC re Barrow game. Though note Jake Kirby has been given ZERO minutes game time by Brabin since scoring the winner at Holker Street.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
M

Mal

Benteke scored loads for Aston Villa, naff all for Liverpool. The point is, just because mangan scores in a league that plays less kick and rush and for a team he has always played well in, and in a formation that suits, with players complementing his strengths, and with players who cost more than ours, doesn't mean he would have scored loads for us. Time to move on and focus on what we have. He isn't here....