• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Transfer window

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Re Mangan. There can't be many players who are allowed to leave a national league club and are clearly wanted by a league 1 side.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Agree that extending Mekki's deal is good news.Got better as the season has gone on and is one of the few Rovers players along with Norwood, who offer something a little different.

Don't understand letting Mangan go. I can't see anyone better coming in his place.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
James Quinn says in a clip on the o/s that our only real problem is finishing. Why then do we ship out the 2 best finishers at the club in Margetts & Mangan?

Madness

drwhoman

My take on the Mangan situation is that he told Brabin that he had joined Rovers to play and help get them out of the NL. If the Manager did not think him good enough then he would go to somewhere he was more appreciated. Poor man management from Brabin. I do not know the guy but he always gives me the sense of being quite autocratic, his body language maybe - or is that unfair - probably! I always thought that our first choice two strikers would be Norwood and Mangan - a pretty decent pairing at least on paper. Brabin clearly begged to differ as he seems to with most supporters. In this regard the inadequacy in midfield is self evident yet he does nothing. This is all very painful. In my mind Mark and Nicola are just delaying the inevitable but it is their money so their call.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Mangan & Norwood is a decent pairing on the pitch too but our manager cannot see this as Quinn says we are after a number 9 type forward................

drwhoman

So we are back to the failed strategy that got us relegated twice under two previous Managers!.........

Colin K

Player
Ryan Taylor
In my opinion we can bring the best players in the league to our club but without decent man management and tactical application, we are going to remain in the doldrums. The players we have should be good enough to win most games even if they do lack a bit of pace. Tactically, it is obviously not working and the Palios' need to address this issue before spending more money on players that will go the same way as our current lot.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
In my opinion we can bring the best players in the league to our club but without decent man management and tactical application, we are going to remain in the doldrums. The players we have should be good enough to win most games even if they do lack a bit of pace. Tactically, it is obviously not working and the Palios' need to address this issue before spending more money on players that will go the same way as our current lot.

Totally agree but I fear they cannot see the blindingly obvious

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Mangan & Norwood is a decent pairing on the pitch too but our manager cannot see this as Quinn says we are after a number 9 type forward................

So it seems likely that we will be hoofing it up to a lone striker, with Norwood stuck out on the wing. Not sure how that represents any kind of progress.

Our only decent run of form this season came in September / October when Mangan was partnering either Norwood or Margetts up front, two of whom have now departed the club.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Totally agree but I fear they cannot see the blindingly obvious
I think they can, they just don't want to admit it. Let's give the fans another season of mediocrity. At least we won't be going down :)

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Not sure if it coincides with GB chasing a target man but Nathan Blissett has been released by Bristol Rovers.

Not good enough in my view. Scored a decent goal at Grimsby but overall didn't impress and I think GB chose not to extend the loan spell. I'd rather have Odejayi.

Knowing GB he'll sign him and put Norwood out wide!!

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
I'd happily wager a few bob that he signs.
But whether it's him or some other 'big' striker, as you say, where will Norwood fit in a 4-4-1-1?
Don't want to see Maynard dropped given his physical presence and goal threat.
And we won't see 4-4-2 will we?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Playing one man up front is useless and Maynard hasn't been great recently.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I'd agree with Ian on Maynard, Jennings was probably the best of a bad bunch of central midfielders in the Macclesfield game and that's not saying much

Would be very surprised if we signed Blissett.

Player
Manager
John King
I notice Mangan has knocked one in for Shrewsbury at Cardiff, probably the winner. Still, his goals return was never going to be good enough for a non-league side.........

Player
Manager
John King
I have just seen that Dan Holman signed for Cheltenham this week. A great signing for them. I wonder if this was the potential transfer that fell through that brabin mentioned ?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I notice Mangan has knocked one in for Shrewsbury at Cardiff, probably the winner. Still, his goals return was never going to be good enough for a non-league side.........
_87593990_mangan_reuters.jpg

Ohh dear.. not guaranteed 90 minutes in the National League. Thanks Brabin.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I have just seen that Dan Holman signed for Cheltenham this week. A great signing for them. I wonder if this was the potential transfer that fell through that brabin mentioned ?
In one way, I hope so, as it shows we have the ambition to go for proven, in-form strikers at this level. In another way, I hope not. He may well have preferred a club in the south, where he has played nearly all his football, and to join the league leaders, but surely we could have offered him a longer contract than the six-months he's accepted.

drwhoman

Yes re Mangan. 29 year old striker with a proven goalscoring record and you cannot fit into your National League team? Bizarre. Mind you he is probably not played out of position and gets better service at Shrewsbury. Micky Mellon will be having a private giggle I imagine.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere but GTF apparently staying until the end of the season according to the national league site.

A very strange decision. Since he signed I'm not sure what percentage of our games he has played in but it can't be great. Not a surprise given his age, physique and lack of match action before he joined us.

He looked cumbersome at times and apart from his goal on debut, was overall ineffective in my view. He's that bad i'd rather have Nathan Blissett who although had his limitations and is a different type of playe, has signed for Torquay, along with experienced frontman Shaun harrad.