• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

New sponsor deal

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
At the end of the day if the money is helping the club I couldn't give a sh*t what was put on our shirts! And that would be the same if I lived on the Wirral too.

P

PaulCook'sMagicLeftFoot

Birkenhead Born and Bred said:
Liverpool is Liverpool and we are Wirral so I feel we are not part of the capital of culture sh*t thats Liverpool a complete different place and it shouldnt be on our tops

You know, you're taking this all a little bit too serious, it's bringing money into the club, that's a good thing. No one's askig you to go round handing out flyers promoting Capital of Culture events.

B

Birkenhead Born and Bred

I know that alot of Tranmere fans will agree with me here. Ok its bringing money in but will we spend it/ When was the last time we paid for a player I just feel that we are from the 'Wirral' not Liverpool its Liverpool 08 not Wirral 08 thats my point

B

Banana Army

Matthew The Rover said:
Well said Venner. We aren't Scouse thank god and never will be. I don't want sh*t on our shirts

Ooo, your gunna make a bloody contreversial Journalist. Fancy dressing up as a Sheik?

P

PaulCook'sMagicLeftFoot

Matthew The Rover said:
It's ridiculous. We should all be chanting "If you hate scousers clap your hands" and "We aren't scousers" tomorrow.

Aye but when you leave school you'll be happy to take a job over here and you'll be drinking over here because it's better than risking getting glassed in town.

Believe me i've spent most of my life trying to explain to people what the difference between Wirral and Liverpool is and how i'm not a scouser but I just don't get this anti scouse/Liverpool sentiment it's ridiculous.

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
If this money coming in by the end of the season makes the difference between keeping a quality player like Gareth Roberts then it would be worth it. BUT I don't for one second believe it will be kept and used in such a way. It'll go towards paying Lorraine's salary, or Brian's, or Jason McAteer's.

And all that to have 'Liverpool' scrawled across the back of our shirts, it's just not worth it really is it? I remember how our fans had bragging rights over quite a few clubs who had gone overboard with sponsorship, "how long before your players look like race car drivers" etc etc, how things have changed.

Genuinely I'd rather have 'Wirral Rubbish' (sic) on the shirts than a confusing, mixed message-sending 'Liverpool'. Last I looked, Birkenhead is on the Wirral, historically part of Cheshire, recently made 'Merseyside', but it's still NOT Liverpool.

Player
Morrisey
If I was to come on here being racist towards a different race or slagging off a culture then I would get a bollocking, so what makes you make uncalled for critisisms and insults of a sub-culture who are your neighbours! I really cannot believe the attitude. Can any of you justify your 'hatred' of Liverpool?

P

PaulCook'sMagicLeftFoot

NeverBeatDaveHiggins said:
Genuinely I'd rather have 'Wirral Rubbish' (sic) on the shirts

We're halfway there already. :D

B

Banana Army

NeverBeatDaveHiggins said:
Genuinely I'd rather have 'Wirral Rubbish' (sic) on the shirts than a confusing, mixed message-sending 'Liverpool'. Last I looked, Birkenhead is on the Wirral, historically part of Cheshire, recently made 'Merseyside', but it's still NOT Liverpool.
Footballs changed. Live with it. We will never see a nearly all birkonian tranmere side and we will never see an all english side do anything in football.

You all dis Lorraine for being "crap" and yet she makes a genuine attempt to get the club money and she gets slagged off. This sponsorship deal could be bloody lucrative.

bolton_hater

White Review FC Manager
Player
Greenacre at the mo, all time is Aldo!
I, Personally don't feel this being very bad but then again its interesting lookin at people's comments. at the end of the day, rovers class liverpool as one of their rivals and some fans would rather not have a team they hate (which is allowed in football) name on the shirt.

For example, if say if the place tottenham was a capiutal of something and sponsored arsenal, arsenal fans would hate to have "tottenham" on their shirts, as some tranmere fans would rather not have "liverpool" on thier shirts.

at the end of the day, tranmere hate liverpool fc, and its a slap in the face to have thir names on the back of our shirts.

NBDH's comments are basically what I feel. I would rather not have Liverpool on our shirts but thenagain if its bringing in more money and it helps the funding a littel bitthen fair enough. I am more bothered about tranmere getting in the play-offs then what logos on the back of our shirt.

B

Banana Army

bolton_hater said:
For example, if say if the place tottenham was a capiutal of something and sponsored arsenal, arsenal fans would hate to have "tottenham" on their shirts, as some tranmere fans would rather not have "liverpool" on thier shirts.

Can't quite see Tottenham getting the cultural city award :lol: :lol: :lol:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Can see both sides of the argument. On balance, I'd rather not have the logo there, but won't lose any sleep over it, especially f we're still being sponsored by Wirral.

Incidentally, Rovers did have a red away kit at one stage.

C

ChiefRich

Boz said:
Incidentally, Rovers did have a red away kit at one stage.

Yes we all choose to forget that particular event.

I like Liverpool: I'm working there after I finish university; the people are very funny; the nightlife is good as well. In short, it's definitely the best city around. Yet I am very proud of being from the Wirral (in short, not a Scouser).

I always get very mixed messages about my brethren from the Wirral: a lot of people seem to get all uptight about being called Scousers (amazingly enough I'm in this group), whereas others try and play up to it (with some ridiculous exaggerated accents as a result!).

I remember Lorraine Rogers saying she understands how some fans feel. Anyway, I think the money is too important for us to turn down, and by proximity alone the Wirral as a whole should benefit from the Capital of Culture events and investment. Therefore I have no problem with being associated with "Liverpool 08".

B

bwilliams

In my opinion it is a good thing.

It's bringing money into the club, it's pomoting a great city, which could also be good for a small club like tranmere.

Liverpool is a great city, i don't know why it faces so much stick.
Home To:

Liver Buildings
Liverpool Cathedrals
The Beatles
Great Nightlife
The Radio City Tower

bolton_hater

White Review FC Manager
Player
Greenacre at the mo, all time is Aldo!
From what I mean from my littel essay before, is it;s not a bad city, I love going over to liverpool, but the name Liverpool is the name of a team whi we hate its all to do with football rivalries.

nomur

Still The Irish Rover
Player
Power!
SO i think from what I've read since yesterday is that almost everyone agrees that it is beneficial for us.

There have been some interesting comments. Definitely the best thread in a while for people to express how they really feel.

And Matt to flex his journalistic muscle :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

M

Matthew The Rover

nomur said:
And Matt to flex his journalistic muscle :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was going to write an article on it for my site but I just gave up. It was too biased towards disliking Liverpool :oops:

DixieDean

Only neanderthals are going to think's this sponsorship is anything to do with Liverpool Football Club. Now, get that chip of your shoulder and let Lorraine get on with things. To think she is doing this to line her own pockets is ludicrous.

Are you all really that bigotted that you don't want to see ANY extra revenue for the club that this deal brings?

Can anyone say for sure that this won't actually get more people interested in coming to see us in 2008? If we appear in brochures/leaflets on the back of this then I imagine we will indeed see an increase in interest in TRFC.

Can't you guys be grown up for once? This is bringing money into the club FFS.

C

ChiefRich

DixieDean said:
Are you all really that bigotted that you don't want to see ANY extra revenue for the club that this deal brings?

Thankfully most of us aren't! Think "bwilliams" and myself combined say a lot of nice things about our nearest city!

Lesson for budding journalists: opinions are one thing, but biased reporting is another. :roll: Admitting it is "too biased" clearly shows a problem in the structure of the story. And, Matt, would you accept a reporting job on the Liverpool Echo or the Daily Post??

M

Matthew The Rover

No I wouldn't because I'd only be able to write 20 words on Tranmere each week. You know my plans any way Rich :wink: