• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Dawes sacked

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Just listening to NA interview. Bet Dennis is happy that Norris is our marquee singing of the summer great when he has missed a good chunk through injury and a 20 goal player can't get a game in his natural position
Yes, I thought that was peculiar. At the time I am sure most people were more excited by the signing of Dennis than Norris.

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Me too one who scored 20 goals or 1 who scored 10 says everything abt the state of the club really

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Yes, I thought that was peculiar. At the time I am sure most people were more excited by the signing of Dennis than Norris.
Only those that haven't been paying attention for the last year or so. The deficiency of having someone to hold the ball up has been glaringly obvious. Norris and Hemmings would not be out of place in Div 1, in fact if he had landed 12 months ago, Mellon would probably still be here

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Only those that haven't been paying attention for the last year or so. The deficiency of having someone to hold the ball up has been glaringly obvious. Norris and Hemmings would not be out of place in Div 1, in fact if he had landed 12 months ago, Mellon would probably still be here
There is no reason that Norris said Dennis can't play together in a front 2

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
There is no reason that Norris said Dennis can't play together in a front 2
Not aware of anyone claiming there was. The point was having seen Dennis's goals last year without a Norris he would be as benign as Hemmings was. Indeed he and Jolley continued to prove this when Norris was injured.
For today to start with them you almost certainly have to bench Jenno, I doubt Nigel will I would

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Hemmings had left by the time Norris arrived, so a regular goalscorer was also a glaring omission.

Hemmings is not playing regularly at Stevenage, and it is doubtful he would score twenty goals in a season at this level as Dennis did last year.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I think the fact that Luke Norris came to us with fitness issues dampened any enthusiasm for his arrival to an extent. I was pleased he was coming if he could get over the injury. He offers something different.

There was a lot of excitement about Dennis when he signed, as a proven scorer. But so was Hemmings and for whatever reason we haven’t been able to get the best out of either. Didn’t think it was good psychology for Adkins not to mention him at all in the pre-match though.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Not aware of anyone claiming there was. The point was having seen Dennis's goals last year without a Norris he would be as benign as Hemmings was. Indeed he and Jolley continued to prove this when Norris was injured.
For today to start with them you almost certainly have to bench Jenno, I doubt Nigel will I would
Leaving our best player out to accommodate Dennis is a big call. Particularly at home, there’s no reason why Dennis can’t play with Norris AND use CJ in midfield.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Leaving our best player out to accommodate Dennis is a big call. Particularly at home, there’s no reason why Dennis can’t play with Norris AND use CJ in midfield.
Do you think Jenno is a two man midfield operator, I think not equally Morris. Even with the paucity of this squad we struggle to field our best players, sods law

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I'm all for attacking options but we have to be mindful of the current frailties in defence. We need someone in there protecting the back four too.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I'm all for attacking options but we have to be mindful of the current frailties in defence. We need someone in there protecting the back four too.
Yes it’s a tough one. Away from home we can be more defensive but as we’re playing an FGR side who have been poor (and they’ll be saying the same), I think we need to go for it. It is a risk though

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Do you think Jenno is a two man midfield operator, I think not equally Morris. Even with the paucity of this squad we struggle to field our best players, sods law

PS he looks a walking red card when the game surrounds him
I don’t think it’s a good idea with a side in as poor form as Rovers to be dropping one of the few players in decent form. Having decided that, the only debate for me is where to play him. The way we’re set up at present Jennings is more likely to score than Dennis anyway. Don’t think he’s a bigger red card risk than anyone else in the likely starting xi.
Agree but as Soarky suggests can play him out wide as Sparky suggests.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
I don’t think it’s a good idea with a side in as poor form as Rovers to be dropping one of the few players in decent form. Having decided that, the only debate for me is where to play him. The way we’re set up at present Jennings is more likely to score than Dennis anyway. Don’t think he’s a bigger red card risk than anyone else in the likely starting xi.

Agree but as Soarky suggests can play him out wide as Sparky suggests.
Well next week looks like Dennis and Jenno or back to 451?

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
Well next week looks like Dennis and Jenno or back to 451?
For me I'd make it Dennis & Jolley. I love Jenno, and if Dennis was out I think he could play next to Norris and do well.
Jenno is still fit, a better footballer than Jolley, and has a lot to offer. But I think Jolley has the legs and fitness to chase down every loose ball down the channels etc and ensure CBs don't get solid headers cleared - giving us a chance to pick up second balls. He does wrestle and tie the CBs up, giving them little piece,....and he wiped out the Accrington keeper a few weeks back.
Albeit Db, we do need a urgent search for Norris Mk2.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Higgy 2, you’re quite an advocate for Jolley! If Nigel sticks with the 442 given Norris’ likely absence, then I can see the argument for away games, as his work-rate and hold-up play could prove useful. However, his striking radar seems off at present, illustrated by his failure to go for Apter’s quality ball into the box at Morecambe. Charlie also seems prone to giving away a number of free-kicks when harrying the defenders.
For home games, think we need more of an attacking threat so try Jennings or Sam Taylor alongside Dennis