• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Dawes sacked

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
As we all suspected, Ian Dawes has been relieved of his duties with Nigel Adkins taking charge on an interim basis.

Player
Goodison
Apart from Norris, I don’t see what the other significant injuries are (the full back situation is entirely self-inflicted from poor planning and recruitment).

I hope they are using that line to save face and don’t believe injuries are the primary problem.

Assuming Adkins doesn’t want the job I can sense him moving on very quickly if someone external takes over permanently. He’s obviously failed with whatever he was meant to be doing with Dawes, and any new manager will be wary of having him sat there ready to be interim again.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think MP was extremely generous with his statement but most importantly he's gone and I hope we can move on. There is still plenty of the season left.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
We have not played attractive football and we don't have a depleted squad. Dawes has had more than enough options to put competitive teams on the pitch.

When did Dawes win seven games in a row ? It seems a bit desperate to hark back to events three years ago as some kind of vindication of his appointment.

It is the right decision to get rid of him, but Palios has to get the next appointment right. Including making compromises if necessary.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
100% the right decision. Never nice when someone loses their job but that’s football.

Given the comments on inexperience and if we assume atkins doesn’t want it full time, does that mean Danns won’t be a candidate as he’s inexperienced too?

Player
Manager
John King
Fourth months ago Palios told us that he was appointing Dawes as he did not want an experienced manager from the merry-go-round. Today he (rightly) sacks Dawes due to his inexperience.

The decision making is all over the place. We lurch from one extreme to another.

Reactions: Ian

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
On injuries, I think Saunders and Leake’s absence turned us into a team very short on pace and made a bad situation even worse. Whether it was Adkins or Palios overseeing recruitment that was a failing on their part too.

I think Adkins recent managerial record is not good, he doesn’t want the job so we need the new manager in place fairly quickly. I doubt that will be Danns, who I’d feel a bit sorry for if he ends up as collateral damage in all of this.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Fourth months ago Palios told us that he was appointing Dawes as he did not want an experienced manager from the merry-go-round. Today he (rightly) sacks Dawes due to his inexperience.

The decision making is all over the place. We lurch from one extreme to another.
And all the time Palios comes out with more and more rubbish treating the fans with contempt.

Player
Jonny Morrisey
I assume that when a new appointment is made, the likes of Parky, who has also played his part in the latest shambles, will also move in and the new manager able to bring in his own backroom staff.....or is that too optimistic?!

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I assume that when a new appointment is made, the likes of Parky, who has also played his part in the latest shambles, will also move in and the new manager able to bring in his own backroom staff.....or is that too optimistic?!
Probably too optimistic

Thankfully I don’t feel treated with contempt and, not viewing the world through Mellon-tinted glasses, I’d say it’s premature to be inferring much about Adkins’ appointment beyond the fact that it’s clearly interim. Nor, incidentally, should Adkins somehow be taking much, if any, blame for Dawes’ failure - he didn’t appoint him and a couple of months’ mentoring and advice won’t make a manager out of someone who isn’t.

Bottom line is Dawes was a poor appointment and, although MP has been generous with his words today, actions speak louder. Relieving him of his duties is unquestionably the right action.

Two big questions now.

First, this is hardly an unforeseeable situation so how well advanced are we already in finding, if not ‘just’ agreeing terms with, the replacement?

Second, to what extent has this experience made MP question the structure and philosophy he’s tried implementing? There’s nothing fundamentally wrong with either in theory but, so far, it certainly hasn’t gone well in practice, including filling one of the key positions with someone who clearly wasn’t up to it (and maybe more than one).

Hopefully the answers to some of this will become apparent very soon. Otherwise lurching may indeed be the apposite word.

But I suppose a third question, which may be the biggest of the lot, is whether Dawes, with Adkins as the insurance policy if the wheels fell off (as some suggested he was at the time), were both appointed simply to tide the club over for the short term until a potential sale of the club is completed? In which case, having today cashed in the policy, we’re now driving uninsured..

Last edited:
Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
It seems to me at this point that only Dawes has been relieved of his duties this is a clear signal that once again we are at this point considering a manager appointment rather than a manager and team appointment!
Which I feel is not what the situation demands.
If things change then we shall see, but it seems that MP is once again wanting to promote from within.
Wether it is Nigel Adkins or one of the other staff. That is not what in my opinion the club needs.
We need an experienced manager/ coach team to bring back a mentality that can get results. Once again, I feel like it's money that decides an appointment rather than what we actually need.
We need to get this right, cos it doesn't best thinking about it the chairman gets it wrong again!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think it's probably fair to assume that Adkins will just step into Dawes' shoes and the rest of the staff will remain in the interim (however long that is). The crucial time will be when MP decides on the next permanent manager and whether he can bring in his own staff or not. I'd like to see a clean slate, new manager and new team around him of his choosing but I just don't think MP will cater.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
The only viable candidate to retain the existing staff would be somebody who already new them. Ideally an experienced lower league manager with promotions on his CV. Somebody who would take a pragmatic approach in the short term to see us away from the foot of the table. Oh wait... we burned that bridge.

Player
Manager
John King
My choice for manager would be Darryl Clarke. A very similar track record to Mellon and the right kind of character to kick us into shape.

However, I doubt we will appoint anybody of that quality.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
Certainly Darrell Clarke, former Port Vale manager, would fit the bill if he is ready to resume facing the stress of football management after the personal traumas he and his family have suffered in the last 18 months or so.

I see Karl Robinson is again being mentioned amongst the usual suspects. He reportedly turned down Fleetwood a few days ago.

Speculation’s always a bit of fun but, for this next appointment, I hope we’re not left speculating for long.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
My choice for manager would be Darryl Clarke. A very similar track record to Mellon and the right kind of character to kick us into shape.

However, I doubt we will appoint anybody of that quality.
I agree about Clarke. I think the likes of Robinson (and challinor if he became available), would have bigger admirers than us.
Other than that I’d go for Mike Williamson of Gateshead. Then there is Gary bowyer who has had success as a manager but not sure about him.