• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Dawes sacked

Player
Ian Goodison
Good luck to Ian he should never have been given the job in the first place i personal thank him for his efforts especially during the interim periods.

Mickey had three stints as a player with arguably his third being his most successful. What about third time lucky as manager

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Good luck to Ian he should never have been given the job in the first place i personal thank him for his efforts especially during the interim periods.

Mickey had three stints as a player with arguably his third being his most successful. What about third time lucky as manager
He won't come back if asked and we need a fresh start with new manager and their own coaching staff

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
We need someone not associated with the club with fresh ideas and fresh eyes we also need players played in the right areas and use Dennis in his best position and. Use others off him i hope Nigel Adkins uses him propperly and we see a different team at least he has a week to get into the heads of the players

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Awful record for MP with managers settings aside Mellon, we've had:

Edwards (5 months) , Adams (6 months), Brabin (16 months), Jackson (4 months), Hill (6 months), Dawes (6 months) dating all the way back to 2014 when Edwards first got the poisoned chalice!

Then again, we did also have the likes of Les Parry, John Barnes, Brian Little and Dave Watson too! Wow, we've put up with some dross over the years.

Player
Goodison
Slightly nervous about the Darrel Clarke suggestion, purely because last time we went down, we sacked a novice and replaced with an ex Port Vale manager.

I know it doesn’t make any difference but would prefer as few 2014/15 parallels as possible!

Palios didn’t appoint Edwards. The rest (besides Dawes) are differing shades of grey, and all had a certain logic to them, even if they’d didn’t satisfy the demands of some.

And if the consensus is that Brabin was awful, having left the club in a far better state than what he inherited and laid the platform for our eventual promotion, then Tranmere fans need a reality check. Mind you, there are also those who, bizarrely, deny Mellon the credit for our promotion and give it to Brabin instead!

Let’s face it, it’s a fourth division poor relation that no owner has been able to make a sustained success of. Even the debt fuelled trip to the moon was built on sand and, boy, didn’t that take some paying back…and more. May have even contributed to a misplaced sense of entitlement amongst some elements of the fan base.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Palios' record of managerial appointments has been patchy to say the least and I don't think that can really be denied. Only Mellon Mark 1 was an unqualified success.

My concern is that his decision making across a number of areas has been questionable in recent months and this is an appointment he simply has to get right. And the entire backroom team needs to be fit for purpose, not simply the manager.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
We need someone not associated with the club with fresh ideas and fresh eyes ....
Awful record for MP with managers settings aside Mellon, we've had:

Edwards (5 months) , Adams (6 months), Brabin (16 months), Jackson (4 months), Hill (6 months), Dawes (6 months) dating all the way back to 2014 when Edwards first got the poisoned chalice!

Then again, we did also have the likes of Les Parry, John Barnes, Brian Little and Dave Watson too! Wow, we've put up with some dross over the years.
All of our "successful" managers since Dave Russell were former players - Johnny King, John Aldridge and Micky Mellon. I would add Ronnie Moore, as he had some limited success with limited resources. Only one of the ex-managers mentioned above ever wore the white shirt (Mike Jackson). I think the club connection matters and that is why I was delighted to see Nigel Adkins and Neil Danns return to the club this summer.

I don't favour having a clear out of the existing coaches. How many of them are really to blame for Dawes' failures? Did Dawes fail because the coaches did not do their jobs well or because we had a flawed game plan which did not suit the squad? Apart from the prohibitive cost of a clear out, I don't think it would do much good. Maybe the new manager could bring in his own assistant and maybe a coach.

Dsve Challinor is the obvious candidate, if he is available and interested. Paul Cook also has the right pedigree.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I don't favour having a clear out of the existing coaches. How many of them are really to blame for Dawes' failures? Did Dawes fail because the coaches did not do their jobs well or because we had a flawed game plan which did not suit the squad? Apart from the prohibitive cost of a clear out, I don't think it would do much good. Maybe the new manager could bring in his own assistant and maybe a coach.
The issue is that many, if not all, decent managers that we approach will want to bring in their own coaching staff and will not be prepared to work with Parkinson and Danns. So if we want to appoint the best available candidate, the existing coaching staff will have to leave.

The alternative is another muddled compromise of the kind we have had in the last three years which has resulted in a downward spiral.

I can’t help recalling 2014/15, when MP also sacked a rookie who was out of his depth and replaced him with what then seemed to be a safe pair of experienced hands. First couple of months looked like vindicating that appointment, but the rest is history…(and not entirely Adams’ fault imho).

Now we might be facing a not too dissimilar situation, I wonder how those experiences might shape MP’s thinking and direction now. Lots to unpick there! This might well be the moment where Adkins has to earn his corn as a sounding board and mentor….to MP.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It is a concern that Mark Palios doesn’t seem to have learnt the lessons from previous managerial mistakes. Though Adams seemed a good appointment at the time and started well. It was only when he was given a free hand in the transfer window things ent downhill.

It is also important that the next manager can engage with and get the fans behind them. While their results were reasonable both Brabin with his reluctance to engage and Hill with a self-created fan problem in the covid vacuum fell short in that regard.

It would be a surprise if someone of the calibre of Clarke was willling to join us. It’s hard to see many obvious and available candidates out there. I agree that this appointment is crucial, the right man should be able to get a tune out of the current squad, even allowing for absentees. To get it wrong doesn’t bear thinking about.

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Don't think he ever will this is where he needs to step back and have someone who can do it for him. But that won't happen

drwhoman

We can all be critical of Mark but he saved the Club. Appointing the right Manager is always a bit of a lottery. They are all failures waiting to happen at some stage. Finding someone who can engage with and energise the squad is never easy. As others have identified, Rovers are not the most attractive gig in town. Too close to Liverton and no Hollywood investors! Anyway, let us hope that we can hit the jackpot this time! The Club’s future depends on it.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I do wonder sometimes whether marks past experience of football both in terms of playing and being FA Chairman, does perhaps make things tricky.
I suspect most managers would prefer a chairman who 1. Has the funds but 2. Has little knowledge of football and just lets the manager get on with it. Mark often says in interviews he knows what it’s like in the dressing room or when players are low on confidence and it just makes me think whether he can be a bit too hands on or just in general get decisions wrong, partly because he thinks he knows better than the manager

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
We can all be critical of Mark but he saved the Club.
Think saying Mark saved the club is over-egging the pudding. He got a very good deal from PJ, who trusted him with the club’s future. It’s a moot point as to whether we’d have kept our FL status had he got rid of Adams when there was still a time to turn things around. I think Mark has done a lot of positive things on the non-footballing side, but his record is much less convincing on football matters.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
People want back room staff sacking but based on zero evidence. Dawes appeared to steadfastly have a curious 433 plan and I doubt anyone else had much input. In a different world a new boss on £15 million can bring in an entire team down to analysts to run a multinational squad that just happens to play in an English location.
Our remaining strength is being a in a hotbed of the game where many a better player plays elsewhere in the country, you need a continuity to make you attractive. The likes of Parky and Danns do that, bringing in three back up staff who maybe sacked with their master in months risks hollowing the club out completely.
What exactly has Parky done to deserve losing his job? Let alone Danns in a few weeks?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I suppose it’s a question of if a decent manager wants to bring their own backroom staff. If the new boss is happy to work with existing staff then fine.