• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Brabin Gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

drwhoman

The right decision at the right time. MP means what he says. Everyone will recall the interview he gave at the end of last season where he strongly inferred that action would be taken sooner rather than later if things did not go to plan in 16/17. Fingers crossed for the right appointment this time!

Kelti5

Player
Pat Nevin
Very prompt action from Mark Palios, I hold my hands up to say I didn't expect it so quickly.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It has been rumoured elsewhere, by a generally reliable source, that we have already held talks with Adkins. It seems the first talks may have taken place several weeks ago.

Could be nonsense, but we will find out soon enough whether it is true.

M

Mal

well we do have a penchant for ex-physiotherapists from Birkenhead ;0)

Player
Liam Palmer
Said it all last season - that team isn't fit enough! Got better as last season wore on but they still look like they are on the beach!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Adkins would know whether a player was fit or not!

But seriously, I think the general consensus is that a good manager is the key to getting out of the NL. I think that has been proved last season (Gary Johnson) and in previous years. Luton had a great squad but it took five years to escape and (I think) they used five managers before finally succeeding. Then, ironically, the man who did it got fired within eighteen months.

Adkins is a good fit being an experienced manager, a local lad and an ex-Rover. Against him is his recent cv and his lack of NL experience. You can alleviate the latter by bringing in the right assistant, but whether he is up for it and still capable is yet to be seen. Remember Brian Little? Excellent cv, but didn't quite do it. I don't envy MP's task. We all thought Micky Adams would cut the mustard and most supported GB's appointment. Let's hope it's third time lucky, but don't be too harsh if he's wrong again. One thing I'm confident of is that we'll get there eventually if we are patient and MP is given the time.

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The o/s site announcement said interim appointment, which suggests that nothing sorted yet. Shaun Garnett/Andy Parkinson to caretake until it's sorted?

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I'm not sure about Adkins - yes he's local but it seems a long time ago he had success with Scunny. That said, I can't think of many obvious candidates that spring to mind. Challinor was one but still inexperienced at this level and MP won't want to risk it. But as we know with Adams, experience doesn't always work either.

Just about fitness, I don't think its too much of a problem. McNulty is the same as he's been for years and has excelled at this level. Cook is the same - somewhat ungainly but a target man and genuine goalscorer. Maynard is probably all muscle. The only player with fitness issues is I think Mekki which I remember commenting on last season. He's never been quick and is desperately short of match practice hence he tweaked his hamstring on Sat.

The basic problem imo is a lack of confidence stemming from GB not playing the right system. Lets hope the new appointment can do that.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Adkins also had a great record at Southampton winning back to back promotions from League One to the Premier League. And at both Scunthorpe and Southampton he got quick results. Add to that the fact that they were team mates for two seasons during MP's second spell at Rovers.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Adkins is the best of the available candidates in my view, but still carries some risk. The fact there has been no interim announcement suggests we might be close to an appointment. Or perhaps not......

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes RLC. I think any option carries risk. We've had the inexperienced being given an opportunity (Rob Edwards) to the very experienced (Micky Adams) to the fairly experienced (Gary Brabin).

MP has fired all 3 so who knows what we'll come up with. I forgot about Adkins at Southampton - will be interesting whether he is happy to manage at this level and perhaps the link with MP could sway it.

M

Mal

Had a look at his stats. Apart from Southampton where he had a W2D1L1 ratio , he was roughly on a W1D1L1 ratio which isn't good enough to get us out of the NL. The best ratio was with Southampton where he presumably had more funding and better quality players.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Poor Almond must be rummaging in his wheelie to retrieve and iron his Southport shirt.
A win at Sutton would likely have reprieved GB and the deal gone through.
A real dilemna for M and N Palios re new manager. As Sparky says, he's already gone the full length of the spectrum experience wise.
For me, it's either Adkins or a risk with inexperience.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Very very difficult to recruit the right man. As well as experience I do sometimes think they just click at a club (obviously, that hasn't happened to us for a long time). Like Sparky says, we've had the full spectrum of managers and that hasn't helped us yet. I also think it's difficult to attract the right man as the prospect of managing TRFC probably isn't great. Good for managers in and around this league but not any higher.

I think MP as a businessman must have had a contingency plan and has probably had a shortlist in his head as early as last season when I think he started to doubt GB abilities.

M

Mal

Circumstances are also crucial. With Adams, he was trying to keep boat afloat with a hole in the bottom and too many crew members not doing their job, exacerbated by changing said crew members for more under-performing ones. I think this time we have some really good crew members who have sealed the hole and now want bigger oars and a decent captain . Anything JK can do.....

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Other names being mentioned are:

Micky Mellon (can't see him leaving the Shrews in L1 albeit struggling)
Ray Mathias (possibly past it)
Fowler (no way)
Garnett / Carden (no - we need freshening up)
Dave Jones (been out of work a while)

The situation with Adkins may depend if he wants to manage in non league. Other names include Ince, Ian Holloway, Steve Cotterill, Dean Saunders, Graham Westley (no way!) - don't want any of them.

Plus Tim Sherwood said on Sky he would manage in non league if the right club came along !

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Pretty much the usual suspects then.

M

Mal

Well Mourhino would be worse than Brabin for blame game, so wouldn't want him. ;0)

Status
Not open for further replies.