• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Brabin Gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
So interim management is Carden with support from Shaun Garnett and Lee Jones......just hope this isn't permanent or for any lengthy period otherwise it could be more of the same.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Had a look at his stats. Apart from Southampton where he had a W2D1L1 ratio , he was roughly on a W1D1L1 ratio which isn't good enough to get us out of the NL. The best ratio was with Southampton where he presumably had more funding and better quality players.
Looking at win ratios is what got us into this mess in the first place. You can't compare Adkins' time in the Premier League and Championship with some mediocre National League manager who has a slightly better win percentage. Brabin probably has stats which compare well with Guardiola's.

I am not saying he is definitely the answer, and he may be on the decline now. However, what he did at Scunthorpe and Southampton was fantastic, better than any manger in our division has achieved

Player
Manager
John King
Very very difficult to recruit the right man. As well as experience I do sometimes think they just click at a club (obviously, that hasn't happened to us for a long time).

Completely agree. I think there is a hell of a lot of luck involved in appointing a manager.

Regarding Carden, I am not happy that he is still here. I would have preferred Garnett and Jones in charge, particularly as we simply must get three points on Saturday to avoid being cut adrift.

M

Mal

Looking at win ratios is what got us into this mess in the first place. You can't compare Adkins' time in the Premier League and Championship with some mediocre National League manager who has a slightly better win percentage. Brabin probably has stats which compare well with Guardiola's.

I am not saying he is definitely the answer, and he may be on the decline now. However, what he did at Scunthorpe and Southampton was fantastic, better than any manger in our division has achieved

His record overall at Scunthorpe was not that brilliant although without looking at the actual history, it could be that he was good up to a certain level ( lower league) then ran out of motivational puff / funding at the higher level. His Reading record was average. Sheffield United poor.

Player
Manager
John King
His overall record at Scunthorpe certainly was brilliant. Two promotions to The Championship, a level they had not played at for fifty years. Yes, they were relegated in between, but it is impressive that he bounced back to take them up for a second time rather than imploding, which clubs like Yeovil and Colchester did after reaching that level. His overall win ratio at Scunny probably is not great because of their years at Championship level, where they were punching well above their weight. But they only got there in the first place because of Adkins.

At Southampton he took over a team fifteenth in League One and took them on back-to-back promotions to the Premier League before being somewhat harshly sacked. And he was still relatively new to management when he had those successes at Glanford Park and St Mary's.

His record at Reading and Sheffield United was uninspiring I agree, although those clubs have struggled under numerous managers in recent years. He failed in both jobs so he might be on the wane and certainly comes with a risk. However, in my view he is still preferable to most of the other names being bandied around. We are not going to get a manager with an unblemished record unless Sir Alex wants to come out of retirement.

drwhoman

Agree RLC. As regards managerial performance, as we all know, there is always an element of luck. What players you have, how you gel with them, and how you inspire them to perform. Sir Alex was able to work with the so called golden generation but even so he was close to the sack at one point.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Perhaps MP should keep his money in his pocket and take on a manager for free..... can't believe Sutton's manager doesn't get paid !

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Perhaps MP should keep his money in his pocket and take on a manager for free..... can't believe Sutton's manager doesn't get paid !
That says a lot about where we are right now. Adkins is certainly miles above any of the other candidates names being thrown around. I'd be very surprised if he couldnt do anything with our current bunch.

drwhoman

I suppose the point of keeping Carden for now is to ensure continuity and to give the new Manager a perspective on the player squad. Whether the latter agrees is another thing! A Manager with a decent CV like Adkins might have more success than others in attracting decent loanees given that he will almost certainly want to make a few adjustments including, hopefully a creative midfielder. Cameron Brannagan would be good but highly unlikely!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I'm surprised too Carden is still here. I can't think he's being given a chance to see if he can do the job. I doubt he's being kept on because they can't afford to pay him off. I am assuming he'll be installed as number two to use his wide experience of the NL, which the new man (e.g. Adkins) may not have. That would make some sense. If the relationship works, fine. If not, he'll be replaced in due course.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Interesting article in the echo about our next manager. The current poll results in order are:
Adkins
Moore
Mellon

I still can't see Adkins dropping down to our level. I also don't think Ronnie will come back as he's got a good contract at Eastleigh and has been doing well. I only think we'll get Mellon if he is fired by Shrews which isn't impossible at the moment.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
"Interim Manager Paul Carden" comments on OS re the permanent signing of Almond.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I've been thinking about the choice of a new manager and wondering how you could make the right choice. Most managerial careers seem to be hill shaped. They succeed and move to better clubs until they fail and then they move down and down the leagues. Even once great managers like Ramsey and Revie fell away badly. Very few managers retire at the top after long and sustained success - Busby, Shankly, Paisley and Ferguson are notable but rare examples. Very few rise again to reach the heights after failing. In the lower divisions, you get a few managers who bump along by being able to make an immediate impact but usually they can't sustain it and end up moving on. Ronnie Moore is one of those. He hit his peak with Rotherham but has only had limited impact since.

If you follow my logic, you really want to get a manager on his way up. They are not always easy to spot as you can never be sure they haven't already reached their peak. I'd have been happy to see Danny Cowley of Braintree come here instead of Lincoln, but that would still have been a risk. Maybe Nigel Adkins has had his day. I'd like to be proved wrong, but does anyone else see my point?

drwhoman

Yes BBTC. By the same token any appointment is a risk. Brabin was chosen for his perceived experience at NL level but he proved to be technically incompetent and a poor man/fan manager. Adams was on the downward slope and the concern is that Adkins might be similar. On the other hand the inexperienced guy we got a couple of years ago (mental block -name?) was not up to it although he had no money. Would Challinor succeed? Who knows is the honest answer! I suppose MP has to assess the individual's desire to succeed, as opposed to just getting a wage coming in, and his ability to motivate and improve the squad. A previously successful manager might have an advantage in this regard but if they are tired and have run their race..... I do not envy MP his task!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Drwhoman, I think you're referring to Rob Edwards. He'd never managed before, so always a risk in that respect, even without coping with the meagre budget. Dave Challinor or similar, who have managed at a lower level would be less of a risk.

I agree with BBTC that a manager on the way up is best, but the challenge of picking one is great. Hard time ahead for Mark Palios as I don't think there's much scope for error.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Former Rovers loannee Tony Grant now thrown into the mix. Currently first team coach at a struggling Blackburn side.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Former Rovers loannee Tony Grant now thrown into the mix. Currently first team coach at a struggling Blackburn side.
It's crazy really. You could name a thousand coaches. It's all pretty random. We need a manager that isn't afraid to get this lot fired up again. A real man manager who is good with the players and fans and has grerat vision and tactical awareness. Pretty much rules everyone out then!

Player
Manager
John King
All bets are off on Adkins apparently. Micky Mellon now seems more likely, according to insiders.

Status
Not open for further replies.