• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2019-20

drwhoman

Fair comment RLC. I have jogged my memory (google!) and I see that Rafa Benitez experimented with him as a winger when he was short of wingers but he was a square peg in a round hole! He left for Wolves because there was too much competition in his best position - midfield. In signing Potter it may be that they are not going to continue with McCullough?

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
For me it has been a very good week with the new signings we have made, the squad is in a healthy position at the moment with a few more to come in. I would expect there maybe a number of trialists involved in training and some of the early pre-season games.

The problem we have financially is that with 3 years out of the league has cost the club easily over £2.5 million, the longer we can stay in League 1 the better financially we will be and able to compete with a number of other clubs with the exceptions of the likes of Sunderland, Ipswich and Portsmouth

Reactions: Ian

ADD

Player
Norwood
Unless we get a big money investor coming in what you say is 100% true. That said if we can get an extra average 1,000 through the gate every game which with bigger away attendances is doable we will be around £500k better off v last season before the other L1 moneys etc. are counted

Player
aldo
we know that mp is looking its just a matter of time . he will take as long as it takes . witch is good for us .

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
McCullough is apparently doing his rehab with us, according to Rovers twitter, so maybe a deal on the table, when he regains fitness. While our younger centre-backs won't need as much protecting, still not sure that a Potter/Perkins combo will give us what's required defensively.

I'm still a bit apprehensive how things are shaping up. Some reasonable signings, but some question-marks about fitness and temperament and less continuity than recent seasons.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Wow Payne's first Trfc tweet. Looking forward to playing in front of a proper fan base.
Reply from their keeper.... you put more effort into that tweet than playing for us!! That's a first for me!! MM will have a bit of fun there I think!

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Yep, if we thought Stockton was Marmite, Payne kills him! He's reeled a few in with that tweet!
Most Shrews are complimentary though. Rather go with them than disgruntled Gas!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
less continuity than recent seasons.
From my calculations, nine of the starting eleven that finished last season are likely to start this one (Davies and the back four, Banks, Perkins, Jennings and Morris). So there is still a lot of continuity.

In any case, I would be more worried by too much continuity, as it was obvious we needed to add quality to the squad.

Last edited:
Player
aldo
Maynard has said he is leaving Bury . now he would fit the bill for us if we could get him . thats all of there top scores now gone

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
From my calculations, nine of the starting eleven that finished last season are likely to start this one (Davies and the back four, Banks, Perkins, Jennings and Morris). So there is still a lot of continuity.

In any case, I would be more worried by too much continuity, as it was obvious we needed to add quality to the squad.
It's a fair point, altough you'd like to think that the likes of George Ray for example would be looking to force his way into the starting xi. Agree that we needed to add quality to the squad being in a higher league, but I'm not getting the impression we've had much competition to sign those joining thus far over the summer.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I'm not getting the impression we've had much competition to sign those joining thus far over the summer.
A number of clubs were interested in Nelson, we will certainly have fought off other clubs to keep Monthe, Morris had offers from elsewhere, and there will almost certainly have been interest in Ray and Bartlett-Taylor. So I don't think what you are saying is true.

ADD

Player
Norwood
It's a fair point, altough you'd like to think that the likes of George Ray for example would be looking to force his way into the starting xi. Agree that we needed to add quality to the squad being in a higher league, but I'm not getting the impression we've had much competition to sign those joining thus far over the summer.
Sid said he had offers from Hull and Ipswich..........but the fans and the ambition here persuaded him...

ADD

Player
Norwood
Buxton signed for Morecambe but only an initial year. Surprised by that...

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
McCullough is apparently doing his rehab with us, according to Rovers twitter, so maybe a deal on the table, when he regains fitness. While our younger centre-backs won't need as much protecting, still not sure that a Potter/Perkins combo will give us what's required defensively.

I'm still a bit apprehensive how things are shaping up. Some reasonable signings, but some question-marks about fitness and temperament and less continuity than recent seasons.

As soon as he proves his fitness he will be given a contract, suspect it will be in time for the start of the season

Reactions: Ian

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
A number of clubs were interested in Nelson, we will certainly have fought off other clubs to keep Monthe, Morris had offers from elsewhere, and there will almost certainly have been interest in Ray and Bartlett-Taylor. So I don't think what you are saying is true.
Knew that it was reported other clubs at L1 level and maybe higher were after Monthe. I haven't heard Sid's remarks ADD refers to below, though perhaps understandable given his Millwall grounding. Would be interested to know whether other clubs were in for Woods, Potter and Payne.
Sid said he had offers from Hull and Ipswich..........but the fans and the ambition here persuaded him...

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Buxton signed for Morecambe but only an initial year. Surprised by that...
Me too. Guaranteed more playing time, but I'd think Adam could do better than Morecambe.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
As soon as he proves his fitness he will be given a contract, suspect it will be in time for the start of the season
That soon? Think cruciate ligament injuries usually take 9 months + to get over.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Me too. Guaranteed more playing time, but I'd think Adam could do better than Morecambe.

My guess is that for all his ability, clubs have question marks over his fitness. He’s never really played a full 40 games in a season I don’t think.