• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2019-20

Player
Jonny Morrisey
Darren Potter has now signed aswell, most recently of Rotherham. Has decent pedigree although no spring chicken but Perkins is probably the fittest guy in the squad. Could be a decent signing!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I agree. This has helped us get to where we are with guys that have been there done it before. We have a mixture of youth and experienced players, just what you need. We've got some great experience in midfield now.

Last edited:
Player
Norwood
Overall really positive few days (apart from sorry to see Jay go), and some great signings!
We probably could do with a proven goalscorer, but Miller, Payne, Mullin....not sure who starts? He clearly doesn't fancy Mullin for some reason, but I'd like to see him given a run.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Potter is a class act who played us off the park several times when he was at MK Dons. However, his recent injury record is not good and we have to hope we can get enough football out of him.

Payne would not have been top of my shopping list, but he is hardly a Cole Stockton either. He was top scorer for a Shrewsbury side that finished third two seasons ago. We are clearly not in the market for the very top strikers at this level, and If we can't afford a Maynard or Rose I am not sure what people expect Mellon and the club to do. I take questions about his temperament with a pinch of salt as well.

Player
Manager
John King
MK Dons fans have described Potter as one of the best players they have ever had, and a major factor behind the breakthrough of Dele Alli.

Let's hope he stays fit !

Player
Manager
John King
Going off topic, I see Gary Brabin has been appointed assistant manager by Luton. A strange one, considering how unpopular he was with their fans last time around.

Player
aldo
yes could be a very good one to get lets hope so . im not a negative guy but payne does not fill me with out . i realy hope im wrong the last time i felt like this was when we paid for a player from Rochdale a forward . oh and Kison Bain i get them feelings

TRFCJason

Player
John Aldridge
Good evening guys long time since I've been on here, I think most of these signing have been good other than Payne, I'm happy to give him a chance, I'm just wondering why player lower down the leagues who have a better record are not being touted about, or is it basically down to money????

Player
aldo
lets get him in first and gently break him in . could be a very good recruit . if we get him up and running

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
After an alarmingly quiet month, the signings this week have been a lot better than I feared. I think we will be competitive but I would happily settle for midtable. Nors apart, the squad is already stronger than last season. I am still hopeful of two or three more incomers, probably loanees.

Player
Manager
John King
we dont go for that sort of player dont know why bey be we dont have the scouts in the know
We know who those players are, but they are out of our price range (certainly the best ones like Macauley Bonne).

We have actually gambled on several PL rejects and non-league unknowns in recent years, and it generally has not worked out (Dunne, Rokka, Green....).

Player
Manager
John King
As an aside on Potter, when was the last time we signed a full international (Lois Maynard does not count...) ?

drwhoman

Sorry - I missed the earlier posts on Potter. We seem to have the makings of a decent team if some of the guys stay fit. As has been said, maybe one or two loanees now.

Player
aldo
yes thats what i was getting at we paid for the lad from southport and Chorley and got hit both times .as for Rocca he was supposed to be better than tollett . as i said the scouting system is wrong

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I don't recall seeing Potter playing against us. He may have started as a winger, but does he play more centrally these days? Favourably regarded by recent clubs, if he stays fit could do good a job for us. Still need a defensive tackling midfielder though.

Payne, I will reserve judgement on. Would differentiate from players like Banks/Monthe who were frozen out of their previous sides or Caprice who was deemed not good enough by fans at previous clubs

On the question of younger players, we don't seem to pick up any good ones locally like Chris Malkin/Dave Challinor these days. Is it a scouting issue, or have they all been hoovered up by the bigger clubs and discarded at an early stage? Many of our recent successeshave been Liverpool/Everton discards who we've picked up and developed.

drwhoman

The fact that we have signed several players who are very experienced at Div One level albeit a bit long in the tooth suggests that BBTC's estimation of mid-table is right. Settle in and then perhaps we can start to attract players capable of taking us back into the Championship. Very sensible from MM I think.

Player
Manager
John King
I don't recall seeing Potter playing against us. He may have started as a winger, but does he play more centrally these days? Favourably regarded by recent clubs, if he stays fit could do good a job for us. Still need a defensive tackling midfielder though.
I have only ever seen Potter play centrally, as a playmaker in the holding role. I can't see him as a winger.

Potter tends to sit deep and dictate play, so it might be that we are not looking for a ball-winner now. Perkins is energetic and puts a tackle in, and Potter will have the discipline to sit in front of the back four.