• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2019-20

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Erm.. Corey Blackett-Taylor signs for 2 years. Promising youngster no doubt.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Erm.. Corey Blackett-Taylor signs for 2 years. Promising youngster no doubt.

I always say we need some pace and it sounds like we have some.

Squad is coming together nicely. We basically have 5 centre halves when all fit. need some strikers in now

Player
Jonny Morrisey
Busy day!!! Chuffed we signed big Sid, need to get a decent striker signed now if we can. I'd also like to see a CM signed aswell....what's McCullough doing?

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I am pleased with the signings of Nelson and Morris in particular. We can keep last year's centre half partnership together, and I think Morris is a very underrated player. We beat Mansfield to his signature apparently.

People underestimate Morris because they think a winger has to beat four players and whip in a cross like Stanley Matthews, but the game has moved on. Morris is more of a modern 'wide' player.

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King
I always say we need some pace and it sounds like we have some.

Squad is coming together nicely. We basically have 5 centre halves when all fit. need some strikers in now
If he is the player I am thinking of, I saw him play for Walsall against Barnsley last season when I was waiting to get in at Colchester. He looked very good in that game.

drwhoman

Excellent news! Does the number of new defenders suggest that Adam Buxton will not be with us next season or did I miss that somewhere? Jay Harris is another I Am vague about. As others have said, maybe a CM and an out and out striker. Would like to to see McCullough but the deal would have to be such that the cost of ‘carrying’ him for six months was limited.

Player
Manager
John King
I would say we need another central midfielder, a wide player (Pringle ?) and two forwards. We look a bit light at full back as well, as Woods seems a bit injury prone, but I doubt we will bring in anybody else in that position.

ADD

Player
Norwood
I think that today has been a very good day indeed. Delighted that Sid is back and CBT seems like a good acquisition also - he has pace for sure. I am not sure he hasn't been brought in to start despite his relative youth. Callum Woods makes sense on a 1 year deal - he should certainly fit the bill if he stays fit which given he has only played 70 odd games in 5 seasons is an issue. Morris I am not as enthused as others here probably are. I think he did ok but no more than that really. Interesting also of all the short interviews today with the new signings he seemed pretty downbeat - sounded to me like he was holding out for somewhere else? Presumably tomorrow we announce the big news of a proven goalscorer joining???

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
All told today has been a very good day with 4 new signings, delighted to get Sid and Morris along with Woods and CBT,the next few signings should be interesting

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Linked with Mansfield striker Danny Rose. He scored 19 in league 2 two seasons ago but only got 4 last season and lost his form. Sounds similar in some ways to Norwood though - a fans favourite with his work rate and an eye for goal.

Player
Manager
John King
Linked with Mansfield striker Danny Rose. He scored 19 in league 2 two seasons ago but only got 4 last season and lost his form. Sounds similar in some ways to Norwood though - a fans favourite with his work rate and an eye for goal.
We have been linked with Rose, Callum Lang and Nicky Maynard. I would be delighted with any of those.

I would guess Micky knows Rose from his time at Barnsley.

Last edited:
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
A good day's business, I think. When did we last sign four players in one day? Thinking about it, all these lads were going to be out of work at the weekend and unemployed next week. Micky's brinkmanship has paid off and all will have a full pre-season at the club. The quality of the recruitment by the club was so much better last season than previously under Micky and it looks likely to continue.

When you get two loanees joining who helped us get over the line last season, it shows what the reputation of the club is. It also keeps the bulk of last year's squad together and helps the feel good factor to give us a bit more momentum.

The other two are more of a risk. Woods should be OK as full-back cover, but surely we won't start the season with just three fit full-backs. CBT is an interesting signing. A former England U17 international, his career seems to have stalled. After just three minutes playing for Villa and only five games last season for Walsall, how do we know what we are getting? However, he could be a very exciting prospect if managed properly.

I am hoping for two or three more signings this week. Surely the future of Buxton, Harris, Pringle and Dagnall will be settled. Miller will be given time to get fit before Micky has to decide. As well as a couple of forwards, we definitely need a holding midfielder. While Jay may be a possibility, I would hope we can find someone with a League One or Championship pedigree for this key role. Whatever gaps remain at the weekend, I expect Micky to fill using loanees.

Player
Manager
John King
I think the permanent signings will continue until the start of the season, if necessary. We can't guarantee that the entire squad will be complete by the beginning of next week, as recruitment is never that straight forward or predictable.

ADD

Player
Norwood
I think the permanent signings will continue until the start of the season, if necessary. We can't guarantee that the entire squad will be complete by the beginning of next week, as recruitment is never that straight forward or predictable.
100% there RLC. We need a couple more but the fact we can bring in players like CBT and Sid is so positive...

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I'd still like us to offer McCullough a deal as he would certainly be able to do a job at this level. Not sure if this is dead in the water though.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Woods is right footed full back who can play CB, so presumably a replacement for Adam Buxton. He will likely be a better athlete - so see the logic there, whether he is as good a footballer remains to be seen. Hope he stays fit.

Player
Manager
John King
The Preston and Bradford fans say Woods is a good footballer. He has played most of his career in the Championship after all. It is his fitness that seems the issue.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
The Preston and Bradford fans say Woods is a good footballer. He has played most of his career in the Championship after all. It is his fitness that seems the issue.

Although early days I’m guessing caprice and Rides will start as first choice full backs and as Woods can play either side he’ll provide competition (if fit!).

As for Buxton, he may stay but like Harris, if he’s at a stage in his career when he wants to play every week he’ll have to move on