• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad 2021-22

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I think the squad is strong in all areas other than centre forward, which is admittedly the most crucial position on the pitch. I don't feel downhearted with the overall recruitment, but it does feel vital that we bring in a striker of decent quality.

I agree about the YouTube channel. I already pay full whack for the Ifollow service and I think all content should be available on there.
I'm not downbeat as I agree we have done some really good business and have a solid squad. However 11 days from the start of the season we are lacking a good striker and also lacking pace in the squad.

We only have 2 games left in which to try get an understanding between players and also a formation sorted. If McNulty signs today and maybe a few more before the week is out then things will look better if not its going be very late.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I don’t think pace is an issue in this division however we do need that striker.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Think pace is very important at this level, even the headless chicken type who’ll run at speed can spook a defence while the more intelligent paceman can unlock a defence and make things happen. You can perhaps get away without if you’ve got someone with killer passes in their repertoire, but unsure we’ve got anyone in that mould either.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think we have got several players that can unlock a defence through skill: MacManaman, Feeney, Duffy if he signs. Watson and Morris also both capable of scoring from around the box.

I am not sure pace is as crucial in League Two as at higher levels.

drwhoman

Fair comment RLC. It is all about that striker or we will be in 1-0 territory again as was the case when Vaughan was injured last season. Mani is a squad player.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
You have to judge a close season's transfer dealings at the end and not in the middle. The window does not officially finish until 2nd September. Yes, it would be reassuring if all the ducks had been lined up early, but remember we signed Spearing on 5th August and Vaughan on 11th. Woolery and Lloyd both arrived in the autumn. The better players cost the most money and they (and their existing clubs) hold out as long as possible for the best deal. We may end up with no more strikers, but somehow (knowing MP and MM) I doubt it. Be patient everyone. ;)

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I think we have got several players that can unlock a defence through skill: MacManaman, Feeney, Duffy if he signs. Watson and Morris also both capable of scoring from around the box.

I am not sure pace is as crucial in League Two as at higher levels.
Don't disagree with the first paragraph, but would argue the opposite is true in the second. At a higher level, pace is less important, as some defenders eg Kyle Walker are very fast themselves and those who aren't are more adept at reading the game and blunt the threat of a paceman.

Player
Manager
John King
Don't disagree with the first paragraph, but would argue the opposite is true in the second. At a higher level, pace is less important, as some defenders eg Kyle Walker are very fast themselves and those who aren't are more adept at reading the game and blunt the threat of a paceman.
Indeed, and the other side of the coin is that very few defenders in League Two are quick, hence attacking players do not need blistering pace to beat them.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
At a higher level, pace is less important, as some defenders eg Kyle Walker are very fast themselves and those who aren't are more adept at reading the game and blunt the threat of a paceman.
I think generally the game gets quicker as you move up the leagues. I noticed this with our brief stint in league one. League two a step up from the pedestrian Conference but you don't need great pace at this level.

Last edited:

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
I think generally the game gets quicker as you move up the leagues. I noticed this with our brief stint in league one. League two a step up from the pedestrian Conference but you don't need great pace at this level.
While I agree that you don't NEED pace at this level due to the lack of defensive pace, it is exactly that which makes it all the more effective if you do have it. Pace is one of the main things that prevents an otherwise excellent defender making it at a higher level - the likes of Buxton and McNulty demonstrate that from our own recent history. The equal and opposite problem is that any attacker with serious pace at this level usually has other flaws - inconsistency, poor crossing etc. Hmmm, that reminds me of somebody ...

Reactions: Boz
Player
Manager
John King
I just think if it is a straight choice between a pacy player and a goalscorer, the latter is far more important. It is good to have somebody with pace at this level, but pretty much essential to have a regular goalscorer, as at any level.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Nothing on the striker front yet. I wonder if the club are as frustrated as us?

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Nothing on the striker front yet. I wonder if the club are as frustrated as us?
Probably. Well, definitely. They will all know what Micky wants and who he wants. I'll bet they are working hard to get the best we can afford. That's why it's taking so long. In any case, loan deals tend to arrive later than contracted players.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
A look at our bench tonight shows how threadbare our squad is with 3 players missing

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Assuming the striker MM may want you'd think he'd play a similar type alongside Glatzel rather than Manni.assive assumption but I had him down for plan "b" or some cup games. Granted he seems to have exceeded expectations. Just worried if we get a striker such as McNulty alongside Glatzel and by habit we start looking for Manni's head to often.
Obvs not many options but Jolley, Burton or even Nevitt might be more similar in terms of the perceived/desired playing style.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Ipswich sign yet another striker. Surely Nors is on his way home!!

in all seriousness given his off the field issues you do wonder where his career will go now

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir

in all seriousness given his off the field issues you do wonder where his career will go now
He started on Saturday and came on for half hour tonight so appears to be still in their plans, at least at the moment

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson

I do wonder if we will see him back in a Tranmere shirt before long.