• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad 2021-22

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Somewhat underwhelmed by this latest business. Both are big risks. Maynard was prolific up a couple of years ago, but can Micky give him his mojo back. Walker has been on loan to Crewe and MK Dons twice in League One, so why is he dropping a division this season? They could do well, but I am sceptical.

The problem we have now is that we have so many strikers with no obvious first choices. They can't all get good run in the first team to establish themselves. I'd rather we had a couple fewer but more quality, but perhaps this was all we could afford.

These two will not have broken the bank, so presumably we might see a couple more players arrive by last orders.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Like BBTC I’m a bit underwhelmed but as also suggested established strikers at a good age cost money and we don’t have that much.

Maybard is nearly 35 and has always been a penalty box poacher so he won’t be able to play on his own so hopefully this means we’ll play two recognised strikers through the middle.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Maynard is our only proven goalscorer. He has a good career record, at least until last season. He has scored more career goals than the rest of our squad put together. When has that happened before? I think that says it all.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Maynard is our only proven goalscorer. He has a good career record, at least until last season. He has scored more career goals than the rest of our squad put together. I think that says it all.
And as he says in his interview, he’s a fox in the box who thrives on balls into the box so we must play to his strengths. Hopefully Walker will bring a physical presence as Mani doesn’t give anywhere near that and nevitt is still learning the game

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Maynard won't have been cheap, and I would categorise him as being in the 'second string' of strikers we can realistically attract, after the likes of McNulty. Walker has a bit of pace and is quite highly rated.

What is crucial to me is that are both better than the strikers we already have, and Maynard brings experience.

Player
Jonny Morrisey
What makes you say that Walker is better than Glatzel as an example, RLC? I only ask as we've seen quite a few of these 'young, highly rated' strikers come in from bigger clubs and very few, if any, have done any kind of job for us!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
What makes you say that Walker is better than Glatzel as an example, RLC? I only ask as we've seen quite a few of these 'young, highly rated' strikers come in from bigger clubs and very few, if any, have done any kind of job for us!
Based on his reception at the clubs he was at in League One. He has at least scored goals in proper football, which is not true of Glatzel.

If he is quick, that immediately gives us something different up front.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Not a bad bit of business. Some experience up top which is what we need and Walker does come well regarded. I think he might surprise a few.

Maynard: " I'm a fox in the box" Just what we need. Let's get him up to speed and get those goals flying in! :thumbsup:

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Underwhelming signings, just hope there is actually some real quality coming in.
These two players are too old and too young, just like most of the squad, same old, same old!

And typically, won't break the bank, so that is what MM said in his pre match interview.