• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad 2021-22

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
IPretty easy for Ronaldo to stay fit and motivated for hundreds of millions, less so for lower division players.
Not necessarily. Most top Premier League players are finished well before mid- thirties. They’ve made their millions and want an easy life. On the other hand, the likes of Clarke and Murphy need to play for as long as possible for financial reasons.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Not necessarily. Most top Premier League players are finished well before mid- thirties. They’ve made their millions and want an easy life. On the other hand, the likes of Clarke and Murphy need to play for as long as possible for financial reasons.
All lower division players need to play into their late thirties / forties for financial reasons, but not many do, because of lack of fitness, desire or professionalism.

I will always be more impressed by a poorly paid, lower league journeyman who manages to play at a good standard into his forties, than I will by an elite player who has had every advantage going in terms of sports science, physio and has a cossetted existence in so many ways.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
All lower division players need to play into their late thirties / forties for financial reasons, but not many do, because of lack of fitness, desire or professionalism.

I will always be more impressed by a poorly paid, lower league journeyman who manages to play at a good standard into his forties, than I will by an elite player who has had every advantage going in terms of sports science, physio and has a cossetted existence in so many ways.
Agreed. Even Kevin Ellison. ;)

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Well it's all down to deadline day now, hopefully it's successful or be a long 4 months till the next window

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
We could still sign out of contract players, though you’d have to doubt the calibre of any not finding a club, unless their demands were unrealistic.

There’s been so little come to fruition since Micky made his remarks after the Rangers friendly that it wouldn’t be a total shock if nothing much happens tomorrow.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
All quiet on the western front!

Hold on to your hats!
If you want excitement tomorrow..............
And we need players..........

Don't hold your breath......

The only way is up!

We have to sign someone, I hope they are worth waiting for!

drwhoman

I know that the financial situation has been dismissed as a cause, when you read that Liverpool are likely to post a loss of 125m in the 20-21 financial year, and other major clubs similar amounts, you do start to wonder. Still, fingers crossed for the 11th hour!

Player
Manager
John King
I know that the financial situation has been dismissed as a cause, when you read that Liverpool are likely to post a loss of 125m in the 20-21 financial year, and other major clubs similar amounts, you do start to wonder. Still, fingers crossed for the 11th hour!
I still think it is more about the process than the financial situation. We have four strikers (Mani, Nevitt, Glatzel and Jolley) none of whom look good enough at this moment in time, one of whom we are apparently paying a substantial sum for (Glatzel), another of whom must be on reasonable money (Mani), and one of whom we paid a fee for (Jolley). We still apparently have a substantial sum to pay in wages to another striker, after taking account of those dealings.

We would probably have been better off bringing in a couple of League Two journeymen who can do a job for us, rather than the four players listed above.

Player
Manager
I still think it is more about the process than the financial situation. We have four strikers (Mani, Nevitt, Glatzel and Jolley) none of whom look good enough at this moment in time, one of whom we are apparently paying a substantial sum for (Glatzel), another of whom must be on reasonable money (Mani), and one of whom we paid a fee for (Jolley). We still apparently have a substantial sum to pay in wages to another striker, after taking account of those dealings.

We would probably have been better off bringing in a couple of League Two journeymen who can do a job for us, rather than the four players listed above.
Once again, it is the financial situation.
Even MM stressed that we have to stay in budget. That is media speak, that there isn't much left. The players you mentioned will be on the club's wage structure and would only be signed if the wages were within it.
As Les once said, we haven't got a pot to p*** in!

I'm agree about the experience we need, especially with the creche we have assembled.

Player
Manager
John King
Once again, it is the financial situation.
Even MM stressed that we have to stay in budget. That is media speak, that there isn't much left. The players you mentioned will be on the club's wage structure and would only be signed if the wages were within it.
As Les once said, we haven't got a pot to p*** in!

I'm agree about the experience we need, especially with the creche we have assembled.
We offered to contribute £3,000 per week to McNulty's wages, in addition to the players mentioned above, so there has been (and is) money available.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Regardless of who we manage to sign tomorrow for me things have to change with the recruitment process, the process is deeply flawed as it stands.
I understand the impact the pandemic has had but Mark said we come out of it in a better position financially than a lot of clubs, yet we will at the end of the season we will have 3 players under contract so will go through a near total rebuild agsin, meaning there is little continuity yet again. I know Salford, Bradford and Mansfield are better off than us financially but I would think as well as having the oldest squad we will have the fewest under contract for next season.
Then the role of Steven Beck in the recruitment process needs looking at, he appears to be still involved with Triple S and we have some of their clients who frankly do not look upto what we required.
Finally when Micky joined Mark said he moved quickly so we could get him in early so the squad could be assembled in good time, so as that didn't happen what went wrong

Player
Manager
John King
Regardless of who we manage to sign tomorrow for me things have to change with the recruitment process, the process is deeply flawed as it stands.
I understand the impact the pandemic has had but Mark said we come out of it in a better position financially than a lot of clubs, yet we will at the end of the season we will have 3 players under contract so will go through a near total rebuild agsin, meaning there is little continuity yet again. I know Salford, Bradford and Mansfield are better off than us financially but I would think as well as having the oldest squad we will have the fewest under contract for next season.
Then the role of Steven Beck in the recruitment process needs looking at, he appears to be still involved with Triple S and we have some of their clients who frankly do not look upto what we required.
Finally when Micky joined Mark said he moved quickly so we could get him in early so the squad could be assembled in good time, so as that didn't happen what went wrong
Yes, a full review of the process is required, particularly the role played by Beck.

Player
Manager
We offered to contribute £3,000 per week to McNulty's wages, in addition to the players mentioned above, so there has been (and is) money available.
If that is anywhere near the mark, and I doubt it, it is no wonder he hasn't signed.
I do know that the pay for top pros is quite a bit lower than that.
No player will be on more pay than the club captain.