• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad 2021-22

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
If he does come in, he will take at least a month to catch up fitness.
His recent history doesn't look promising. He was released by the franchise three months ago and no one has signed him? This is very similar to our last couple of strikers. If he had the quality we need, how come he was released? It wasn't for the money!
Money!
Football and money!
I was out this morning watching a Sunday league game.
No, I'm not going to compare.
Anyway, another rumour is that the reason we can't attract players is because of the one year contracts, signing on fees and wages. How true is anyone's guess!
The rumour mill is grinding away, and it looks like it isn't going to be pretty.
Hope I'm wrong!

Oh yeah! Just the energy and competitive attitude of the players this morning was more than yesterday! It was awful as skill levels were very poor but they never stopped trying!
Agard has been trying with Mk so may not take too long to get fit if he does sign

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The Agard rumour seems to have legs, with some suggestion he's dropped his asking price from what he'd have signed for in the summer. Arguably a false economy though if we'd signed him earlier he'd be ready to play by now. Even if he's been training full on with the Franchise, still not match fit and unsure how long that would take him.

On contracts, we should be having at least half a dozen on 2 years+ deals to provide a spine for the annual re-build. While I can understand the reluctance to hand out longer deals for those in their mid 30s or with poor injury records (Tom Davies), the 1 year for Kieron Morris, a player who's abilities are known and is at a prime age and not injury-prone seems odd, unless the player himself was only willing to commit to a year. There also seems a reluctance from the club to do mid-season extensions now. If Macdonald gets over his shin splints issue or Nevitt continues to improve and adapt to the higher level, I'd be hoping we try and get them extended before their contracts expire.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Regarding the one year deals, I don't think the impact of Covid can be underestimated. When the majority of the contracts were agreed in the early part of the summer, the situation regarding reopening was still far from clear. Palios has stated all along that he wants 50% of the squad on two year deals, but I simply don't think that has been possible financially in the last two seasons.

Of the remaining available strikers, I have wanted us to sign Agard all along, and I will be pleased if that deal goes through.

Duffy could be valuable for his set piece delivery, as our set plays have been atrocious for some time now.

Last edited:

drwhoman

Regarding the one year deals, I don't think the impact of Covid can be underestimated. When the majority of the contracts were agreed in the early part of the summer, the situation regarding reopening was still far from clear. Palios has stated all along that he wants 50% of the squad on two year deals, but I simply don't think that has been possible financially in the last two seasons.

Of the remaining available strikers, I have wanted us to sign Agard all along, and I will be pleased if that deal goes through.

Duffy could be valuable for his set piece delivery, as our set plays have been atrocious for some time now.
We just need half decent bodies. I know it is stating the obvious but the present squad is far too thin for 46 L2 games plus the various Cups. Duffy might not be young but he could surely do a job from time to time. In other times Agard might not be attractive but needs must. And Chelsea can spend 97m on a lumbering but powerful striker!

Player
Manager
John King
The Agard rumour seems to have legs, with some suggestion he's dropped his asking price from what he'd have signed for in the summer. Arguably a false economy though if we'd signed him earlier he'd be ready to play by now. Even if he's been training full on with the Franchise, still not match fit and unsure how long that would take him.

On contracts, we should be having at least half a dozen on 2 years+ deals to provide a spine for the annual re-build. While I can understand the reluctance to hand out longer deals for those in their mid 30s or with poor injury records (Tom Davies), the 1 year for Kieron Morris, a player who's abilities are known and is at a prime age and not injury-prone seems odd, unless the player himself was only willing to commit to a year. There also seems a reluctance from the club to do mid-season extensions now. If Macdonald gets over his shin splints issue or Nevitt continues to improve and adapt to the higher level, I'd be hoping we try and get them extended before their contracts expire.
If Agard's original wage demand would have broken our pay structure, it was a non-starter. It is not just about the wages we have to pay to him; it is about the increased demands of every player we try to sign in future.

drwhoman

I understand that Ronaldo will be the highest paid player at UTD. They were paying Sanchez 500k a week No idea what they will pay a 36 year old striker! Stinks really.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
If Agard's original wage demand would have broken our pay structure, it was a non-starter. It is not just about the wages we have to pay to him; it is about the increased demands of every player we try to sign in future.
Can understand this, but we’re never going to know the true figures. Some of those being suggested for McNulty were on the high side.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
What I heard was we spoke to Agard early on in the window and he wanted around the wages he had been on at Mk £5k a week which is why it didn't go further.
McNulty was on similar amount at Reading and our deal was to pay around £3k of it which was agreed, the embargo stopped the deal then Dundee u sold Shankland and offered £4.5k a week which we couldn't match.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I believe there is an international striker available who is three months younger than Ronaldo. His name is David Nugent. Worth a punt? ;)

Seriously, like him or loathe him, you’ve got to respect Ronaldo for his fitness and motivation. When most of his contemporaries have hung up their boots, he is looking for new challenges at the highest level. We have a relatively elderly squad but only Murphy and Clarke are older than him.

Player
Manager
John King
There is something to be said of the old boys though as Clarke and Murphy have been our most consistent performers for a while now.
Indeed, and I think Tom Davies and Knight Percival have been impressive as well. Pretty easy for Ronaldo to stay fit and motivated for hundreds of millions, less so for lower division players.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Rovers the team with the oldest average age were up against the side with the youngest average age at Scunthorpe though and look what happened…

Murphy has been excellent this season and Clarke good, though perhaps not at last season’s pinnacle yet. Tom Davies is 29 so hardly old in footballing terms, just had injury issues.

Player
Manager
John King
Rovers the team with the oldest average age were up against the side with the youngest average age at Scunthorpe though and look what happened…

Murphy has been excellent this season and Clarke good, though perhaps not at last season’s pinnacle yet. Tom Davies is 29 so hardly old in footballing terms, just had injury issues.
I thought Davies was a bit older, but the point still stands. I was crediting their professionalism, rather than making a wider point about recruitment, although I am not convinced the age profile of the squad is an issue (Scunthorpe's kids have hardly had a fantastic couple of years, nor did Southend's last season....).

Last edited:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I’ve always liked Kabongo Tshimanga who once scored a hat trick for Oxford city against us and only just realised he recently joined national league Chesterfield from borehamwood on a 3 year deal turning down FL clubs.
Money talks more than ever

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
That's atrocious really.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
And two of them at least were penalties when we beat Exeter in late March. So goals from open play are even less.