• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad 2021-22

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Underwhelming signings, just hope there is actually some real quality coming in.
These two players are too old and too young, just like most of the squad, same old, same old!

And typically, won't break the bank, so that is what MM said in his pre match interview.
Maynard is probably on about £3,000 a week. He was one of Mansfield's highest earners.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes, we should see a bit more quality in the attacking areas now.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Very strange - re Duffy - all that talk about he was under contract until 2nd September clearly wasn't true but honestly a signing after all this time only until January suggests money is very evry tight. However assuming he makes the starting 11 he will be a distinct improvement on Feeney at set pieces.
Maynard somehwat uninspiring as his best days are clearly behind him but hopefully he has one decent season left in him. Walker I know nothing about but from what is being suggested from those that do he seems like the best of the 3 signings.
Have to assume MP/ MM have settled for consolidation this season or maybe they simply have no choice with finances as they are as these additions won't be enough to challenge for promotion.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
I'm not sure that Walker is the best of these 3 signings as during his loan spells at Crewe and MK Dons he only featured in 30 games in total.....11 for Crewe and 19 for MKD and scored a hefty 4 goals, 2 for each club. Other than he has had more League experience than Glatzel or Nevitt I'm not sure he's a massive step forward, but I hope I'm wrong because the main goal scoring focus is going to rest with Maynard.

Colin K

Player
Ryan Taylor
I think we will announce Otis Khan in 30 mins and then that'll be it for us.

Looking at the squad after the signings we've made already, it's definitely an improvement. Three out of the four would be pushing for a start over players we already have, with Walker the one out of the four I'd expect to take time to bed in.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I think we will announce Otis Khan in 30 mins and then that'll be it for us.

Looking at the squad after the signings we've made already, it's definitely an improvement. Three out of the four would be pushing for a start over players we already have, with Walker the one out of the four I'd expect to take time to bed in.
I think that's it the signings are done as the tweet before O'Connor was announced was room for 1 more.
I think the business has been OK and the squad now has more numbers but I don't think it's good enough to challenge right at the too end of the table. I hope to be proven wrong but I think we are still someway short of a promotion challenging squad

Player
Manager
John King
I think that's it the signings are done as the tweet before O'Connor was announced was room for 1 more.
I think the business has been OK and the squad now has more numbers but I don't think it's good enough to challenge right at the too end of the table. I hope to be proven wrong but I think we are still someway short of a promotion challenging squad
I think a lot depends on how much Maynard has left to offer.

Colin K

Player
Ryan Taylor
Maybe it's just my hope that Khan re-signs...the fact he's not been snapped up is pretty surprising and with him still having all the Tranmere stuff on his twitter I'm still clinging on hope (although I guess as a free agent he can still sign after the window).

I agree on paper we aren't strong enough to be challenging for promotion - we have 100% gone backwards in what we have this season. We needed a striker with 20+ goals in their locker to propell us forward and nick games along the way and I just don't see Maynard doing what Vaughan did for us. I'm hoping McManaman will find his feet for us as he has lots of ability and is a potential game changer.

Player
Manager
John King
I think the wider squad is stronger than last season's, albeit with less pace. However, the centre forward position is the most crucial at any level and we were spoilt with Vaughan.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
On reflection, today hasn’t been too bad - but only time will tell. Actually, I’m more upbeat than recent posts about our promotion prospects. This is not a strong league. Even pacesetters FGR lost at home on Saturday and we are remarkably only two points shy of the playoffs.

We have a solid defence and a creative midfield, in my view slightly better than last season. If Maynard can finish the moves and stay fit, and one of the youngsters can find their shooting boots, we will soon rise up the table. Vaughan apart, we have better attacking options than last season. Then they were too old or too raw, but this season we have at least three young strikers with some immediate promise.

I’m amazed to see so much pessimism on the site. If this lot with Micky in charge can’t win the bulk of the games, we really are in trouble.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
The issue for me is not just lack of goals in the squad but also the fact that we really don't create that many chances hopefully that will improve going forward