• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad 2021-22

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
I would take Feeney back as even though he’s 34 he’s still fit and is capable of good delivery. Very true he lost form but was never rested and one of a number whose performances took a dive.

Agree with RLC that he may not be the type that mickey wants but I can see some decent L2 sides wanting him so I’d be tempted to give him a year.
Agree Sparky. He did lose a bit of form as did a few of them under Hill. He's no chicken, but even at 34 he must be in decent nick to play as many games as he did for Hill.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Agree Sparky. He did lose a bit of form as did a few of them under Hill. He's no chicken, but even at 34 he must be in decent nick to play as many games as he did for Hill.

Don’t forget also he was our top assist maker despite his poor form late on. Will we able to get any one more creative?

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
He is / was a good player but I still don't reckon he will be offered anything. Time will tell I suppose.

If, as reported, the wage budget is decent, there will be plenty of good options available.

Last edited:
Player
Too many of them after over 50 years!
Given those whose contracts end officially on June 30 2021 are effectively still under contract, then July 1st is when questions can be legitimately asked or released lists issued.It is true players can leave or be released before then but there is effectively a grace period between end of season and end of contract when negotiations can be carried out. And players do have 'holiday' periods when a season ends, even if this year may involve "staycations". We can't be expected to be spoon-fed minute by minute day by day negotiation detail.

And last year, on 24th June, Tranmere published this https://www.tranmererovers.co.uk/news/2020/june/squad-update/

So maybe something similar will happen around that time of this month given that Micky will have had time to assess the situation.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Given those whose contracts end officially on June 30 2021 are effectively still under contract, then July 1st is when questions can be legitimately asked or released lists issued.It is true players can leave or be released before then but there is effectively a grace period between end of season and end of contract when negotiations can be carried out. And players do have 'holiday' periods when a season ends, even if this year may involve "staycations". We can't be expected to be spoon-fed minute by minute day by day negotiation detail.

And last year, on 24th June, Tranmere published this https://www.tranmererovers.co.uk/news/2020/june/squad-update/

So maybe something similar will happen around that time of this month given that Micky will have had time to assess the situation.
Thanks for reminding us all, FNM. Maybe we can expect something in a few weeks.

It is interesting that the list of players still under contract last summer was nine, ten if you include Peter Clarke who exercised his option. But many of those on two-year deals hardly featured last season, so it's not surprising so few are now on similar deals.

Player
Manager
John King
I think we only offered one year deals last summer with a couple of exceptions (Spearing and Vaughan) due to the financial uncertainty regarding Covid, rather than through choice.

Player
aldo
also, we have to remember that in the last two years they have done loads of deals and then had two days of telling us and only a few after that think they like teasing the fans and whipping up a frenzy

It was reported a couple of weeks ago - maybe on the official site but certainly in the Globe - that the club would announce who's been released or re-signed in due course.

I expect that was so vague because we didn't have a manager at the time, besides holidays and the other reasons already mentioned.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Clarke will be an interesting one. He said a few months ago he had no plans to hang up his boots just yet and given he played every minute of our league campaign which overall did ok defensively, he’ll be wanting to carry on playing. As micky signed him originally I’ll be amazed if Clarke leaves unless he was offered silly money or say a 2 year player coach deal at someone like Salford

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Guess I’m just too impatient! Can understand the delay in announcing those who we’re negotiating with either as new or re-signings, but those who’ve definitely gone...?

Player
aldo
I just think the club like playing it quiet don,t think we will hear much for a month or so as I said the other day it will be over a couple of days we will have where they unveil 7/8 players in 1 day they have done it the last few years just the way I see it

Reactions: Ian
Player
Manager
John King
Guess I’m just too impatient! Can understand the delay in announcing those who we’re negotiating with either as new or re-signings, but those who’ve definitely gone...?
I think the problem is we don't know who has 'definitely gone' (cf. Ritchie Sutton). There are players who have not been offered deals at the moment, who may be in future if we can't get our first choices.

Last edited:

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Joe Hardy would certainly be worth looking at and I would be surprised if Micky isn’t already aware. I agree with Mart about someone so talented getting to 22 without much first team football. Ironically, if he’d stayed with Rovers he’d probably have got into the first team as a teenager and could have then moved on up by now.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I would rather we kept Jake Burton and had him and Jolley as back up to whoever we bring in as main strikers.

Reactions: Boz
Player
Manager
John King
I would rather we kept Jake Burton and had him and Jolley as back up to whoever we bring in as main strikers.
I agree really, although Hardy's record for Liverpool under 23s was quite good last season, with nine goals in thirteen.

I actually work with his brother, and he probably has not got established anywhere because he has moved around quite a bit. He started in our youth set, before moving to Man City, Brentford, then Liverpool. I don't know if he was ever seriously in contention for their first team squad, but he did play in an FA Cup tie against Shrewsbury a couple of seasons ago.