• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad 2021-22

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
We certainly don't need 3 back-up strikers and as yet no information whether Jake Burton is going to be with us next season. If not then maybe worth a punt for this lad, so long as his wage expectations are realistic.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
We certainly don't need 3 back-up strikers and as yet no information whether Jake Burton is going to be with us next season. If not then maybe worth a punt for this lad, so long as his wage expectations are realistic.
I'm not sure, Boz. If he's any good and shows potential to make the first team next season, I'd sign him. At his age, he should be in the squad. In any case, I would farm out anyone who was not likely to be a key squad member. I would loan them out to NL club for a month or half a season.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Jolley is meant to be a really good prospect but it is no use them sitting on a bench. You could see how raw he was in the few cameos and needs game time. I'm not suggesting with us as he is clearly not ready but these lads need to be playing games somewhere to gain experience.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I'm not sure, Boz. If he's any good and shows potential to make the first team next season, I'd sign him. At his age, he should be in the squad. In any case, I would farm out anyone who was not likely to be a key squad member. I would loan them out to NL club for a month or half a season.
Don't know if the squad size rules for next season have been resolved, it was to be 20, the PFA wanted it to be 25 and might take the case to court, but there was a compromise figure of 22 suggested. I think, though haven't found any confirmation, that U21s may not count in that figure. Hardy is 22, so if we sign him it would be on the basis that he's good enough to at least be a regular option on the bench initially.

I agree with Ian on Jolley. Steve McNulty said he'd played against him when on loan in the Northern Premier League, but wouldn't be adverse to him getting a 6 month loan deal no lower than National League North level, then return to Rovers to evaluate his progress when match- fit.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Jolley is a strange one - paid money for him and offered him a 18 month contract.
Described by Hill:- "He is brilliant and young with energy. He wants to improve and wants to play first team football. We’re going to give him the opportunity to develop him and integrate him as quickly as possible as we can. He is a key acquisition, not just for now but for the future.”
From what little I saw he seemed to offer very litle and indeed again from what little we saw I thought Burton looked more capable. I would hope we keep Burton (won't be expensive) and that MM offers them both genuine opportunities to show if they are good enough.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I don’t think Hill should have made those bold comments as it puts pressure and expectation on the lad when he clearly isn’t ready yet.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I don’t think Hill should have made those bold comments as it puts pressure and expectation on the lad when he clearly isn’t ready yet.
It was absolutely bizarre management by Hill to make those comments, and then a couple of weeks later tell us that Jolley was not ready for first team football.

drwhoman

I think Hardy has had a few injuries. He is not a big man although from what I have seen of him on the LFC site, he knows where the goal is and with the right support could go ok.
BTW, I see that Dundee Utd have appointed a relatively unknown new Manager from within the Club. Good luck with that!

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I think Hardy has had a few injuries. He is not a big man although from what I have seen of him on the LFC site, he knows where the goal is and with the right support could go ok.
BTW, I see that Dundee Utd have appointed a relatively unknown new Manager from within the Club. Good luck with that!
Stephen Frail also left his role as assistant manager

Player
Manager
John King
It looks like the American owner of Dundee United has appointed a stooge. I would not be surprised if they get relegated next season.

drwhoman

He was head of tactical performance previously, whatever the heck that is
His previous managerial experience was with a team that moved from the sixth to the fifth tier in Scottish football. He played for Livingston, Cowdenbeath and East Fife. You never know but...

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think they were starting to make some strange decisions at the end of Mickys reign. No wonder he wanted out after just one season.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Lots of deals starting to be done in leagues one and two. Hope we see some squad activity soon either retaining players or bringing in new ones

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It’s all gone a bit quiet since Micky returned so let’s hope he’s busy bringing in some quality players.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I seem to remember this time last year that we were worried that all the good players were being snapped up. In the end, we signed the likes of Vaughan and Spearing relatively late. At the moment, I’m not worried. I’m still getting over the shock of Micky’s return. ;) Maybe he’s still getting over the shock of being back at Prenton Park. ;)

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Lots of deals starting to be done in leagues one and two. Hope we see some squad activity soon either retaining players or bringing in new ones
Agreed Sparky. While some of the deals announced may have been in the pipeline for a bit, I always get a bit twitchy when we seem to be lagging behind although it is very early on in the process.

As for the Dundee Utd situation, it's very hard to tell what's going on without a good knowledge of Scots football. My impression is the new manager may be worth a punt, he's in the untried but promising category, but a few questions being asked about their sporting director.

Player
Manager
John King
Josh Sheehan leaving Newport for Bolton is one that stood out, but at least we won't have to face him next season.

I am fairly relaxed because if, as has been reported, we have a decent wage budget, it is only a matter of time before the signings arrive.

Last edited:

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Josh Sheehan leaving Newport for Bolton is one that stood out, but at least we won't have to face him next season.

I am fairly relaxed because if, as has been reported, we have a decent wage budget, it is only a matter of time before the signings arrive.
Port Vale signed James Wilson after his release from Salford could well be a good signing.

The reason we signed players later last summer was due to the pandemic and not knowing for sure if the season would start on time or not and also the salary cap both which are not in the equation this time around.