• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad 2021-22

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
What has he done to deserve an increase? They didn’t achieve anything last season.
It depends on how much credence you give the leaked wage reports. Khan was allegedly near the bottom and George Ray at the top, yet I’d have said for ability in their main position, they were on a par.

While no strong views on Foley, it would be preferable if we could bring in a few younger squad players

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
We have got Cogley, MacDonald, Merrie, Glatzel and Jolley, so a fair amount of youth already I would say.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I think the squad is looking pretty good so far and once complete I'm sure it will be very strong as there's still plenty more to come

Player
Manager
John King
I think the squad is looking pretty good so far and once complete I'm sure it will be very strong as there's still plenty more to come
Definitely stronger than last season with the exception of the centre forward position, which will hopefully be addressed soon.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I think there is more depth in the squad in most areas than last season, but will reserve judgement until knowing who else is coming in.

It's been touched on before, but with the majority of contracts being 1 year deals, we're looking like needing to go through a squad renewal process every season. While I think the right call on contract lengths have been made, given age and injury records and hopefully with some options to extend, it's a shame that we haven't been able to recruit more on longer deals to give greater stability. Though the remaining signings may address that to an extent.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
It's been touched on before, but with the majority of contracts being 1 year deals, we're looking like needing to go through a squad renewal process every season. While I think the right call on contract lengths have been made, given age and injury records and hopefully with some options to extend, it's a shame that we haven't been able to recruit more on longer deals to give greater stability. Though the remaining signings may address that to an extent.
I back the current policy of giving one-year contracts to most players. Many in the squad are either veterans, unproven youngsters or may have injury records. The club is ambitious and wants to make sure that if we get promoted at the end of the season, anyone on a two-year deal will be young enough and skilful enough to operate at the higher level. Yes, we have lost players like Woolery but also we were landed with players like Payne, Ferrier, Ellis and Nelson who became surplus to requirements long before their contracts ended. The proof of the policy is whether we can attract at least as good a squad as last season. As things stand, we are well on our way.

Once we get into League One (as I believe will happen in 2022, or 2023 at the latest), it will be unrealistic to expect immediate promotion to the Championship. Therefore, I would expect more two-year contracts to get more stability and establish us as a tier three side.

Player
Manager
John King
MP has said in the past that he always wants roughly 50% of the squad in contract and 50% out of contract at the end of a given season, to give us a degree of stability while still allowing us to refresh the squad, particularly if we have changed division. We certainly offered more one year deals last season due to Covid, but I would guess that general rule still applies.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I could understand last season Mark being cautious because of the pandemic and reiterate that I don’t think any of the offers this season are wrong. However, my hope would be that we finish up closer to that 50% mark than we are currently

drwhoman

Maybe I should know this but who have we signed on a two year contract? I know that we have several players entering the last year of a two year contract but who have we signed this summer for two years? There cannot be many.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Maybe I should know this but who have we signed on a two year contract? I know that we have several players entering the last year of a two year contract but who have we signed this summer for two years? There cannot be many.
Only Cogley Watson and Merrie so far are on 2 year deals that I can think of. There's also the option to extend Jolleys contract

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Only Cogley Watson and Merrie so far are on 2 year deals that I can think of. There's also the option to extend Jolleys contract
Thanks bigmart. I would imagine that we will only get any marquee signings on a two year deal.
That's right, except that we paid transfer fees for Jolley and Merrie, and they are young, developing players, so we would not want them to leave us after a year. Watson is a player at his peak who has just played a full season in League One, so we know he can play at that level if we get promoted.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I could understand last season Mark being cautious because of the pandemic and reiterate that I don’t think any of the offers this season are wrong. However, my hope would be that we finish up closer to that 50% mark than we are currently
At the moment, we have 21 players signed up for the season. Excluding the three youth team graduates, that makes 15 on deals expiring in June 2022 and only 3 longer. If we sign a decent striker, that will certainly be a two-year deal, but I think most of the other three or four players I expect to arrive will have 12-month deals (or shorter) or be loanees.

I agree that it would be nice to have more long deals for stability, but it is a buyer's market at the moment and you can't blame Mark for exploiting it.

Player
Manager
John King
It is suggested elsewhere that a contract has now been offered to Khan and we are waiting for his response.