• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad 2021-22

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Both looked useful, better than just makeweights.
Could both play together? Will Micky play one up front? If only one plays, only one can be a success!

But if you are right, RLC, and also we get another experienced striker, we would have an embarrassment of riches up front. ;) Not that I would complain, as we already have a number of options and you always need a Plan B. Towards the end of last season, we didn't seem even to have a Plan A.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think Glatzel might start games and be paired with somebody else, Nevitt will be probably be used as a back up initially.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
As we play our next friendly tomorrow night I would expect a signing or 2 to be announced tomorrow and wouldn't be surprised if there were also more trialists involved in the game.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I hope we sign a couple more players in their mid to late twenties. At the moment, we have a lot of youngsters and veterans, but few at the peak of their careers.

Player
Manager
John King
I think simply signing good players is the priority. There are a number of players over thirty and under twenty five in the squad that are capable of performing next season.

Player
Too many of them after over 50 years!
I don't think the amount oh shots st goal in the Rangers game or any of the pre season games is of any relevance to our league 2 campaign.

I am confident that Micky will set the team up in a way that will see us play positive, entertaining and winning football.
It will become relevant as games progress. I kept an eye on the stats from January and apart from a brief ‘relapse’ between Jackson and Hill , the team just couldn’t muster enough attempts at goal. Time will tell.

Player
Manager
John King
It will become relevant as games progress. I kept an eye on the stats from January and apart from a brief ‘relapse’ between Jackson and Hill , the team just couldn’t muster enough attempts at goal. Time will tell.
Mellon is a very different manager to Jackson or Hill, so I am not sure their period in charge tells us much about how we will perform next season.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Hoped there might be a couple of signings announced today. Maybe they'll wait until after the tonight's game to see how any trialists playing shape up.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Mellon is a very different manager to Jackson or Hill, so I am not sure their period in charge tells us much about how we will perform next season.
Absolutely true. All our managers last season were limited in tactical approach, either through being novices or an inflexible approach (Hill). Mellon has the experience and vision to adapt his playing style, whether it be season to season or game to game.

Player
Time will tell, although he is saying all the right things in his interviews. To be honest, I think he needed the break up in Scotland because he looks refreshed snd motivated, which can only be a good thing. There is a far better vibe around the club with him back .

Player
Manager
John King
Time will tell, although he is saying all the right things in his interviews. To be honest, I think he needed the break up in Scotland because he looks refreshed snd motivated, which can only be a good thing. There is a far better vibe around the club with him back .
I hardly think Mellon needs to prove he is a more capable manager than Jackson and Hill, based on his record both here and elsewhere. Supporters have confidence in him because of his achievements, not because he 'says the right things'.

Player
I hardly think Mellon needs to prove he is a more capable manager than Jackson and Hill, based on his record both here and elsewhere. Supporters have confidence in him because of his achievements, not because he 'says the right things'.
Such as 32 points in 34 games? (I don’t need a repeat of the list of the reasons as to why that wasn’t Mellon’s fault).
Cheerleader support is one thing. I prefer a dose of realism. Mellon won’t have a Norwood or Cook this season. He may or may not come up with someone who can score 20 a season or with a way of sharing the load throughout the team. I have an open mind and time will tell. And as Hill demonstrated past successes mean diddly squat. Same can be said of many managers.

Perspective is needed.

It is great that you cannot find any weaknesses in Mellon. And have blind faith that he will succeed this season all based on the past.

Finally, if your views are always the right ones then there is no point to me posting.

I wish you and everyone well and here’s to a successful season.
Trumpet out now to signal the last post!

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King
Such as 32 points in 34 games? (I don’t need a repeat of the list of the reasons as to why that wasn’t Mellon’s fault).
Cheerleader support is one thing. I prefer a dose of realism. Mellon won’t have a Norwood or Cook this season. He may or may not come up with someone who can score 20 a season or with a way of sharing the load throughout the team. I have an open mind and time will tell. And as Hill demonstrated past successes mean diddly squat. Same can be said of many managers.

Perspective is needed.

It is great that you cannot find any weaknesses in Mellon. And have blind faith that he will succeed this season all based on the past.

Finally, if your views are always the right ones then there is no point to me posting.

I wish you and everyone well and here’s to a successful season.
Trumpet out now to signal the last post!
I don't see any purpose in trying to undermine Mellon before the season has even started and before our recruitment is even complete. No manager guarantees success, but we have the man in charge that gives us the best possible chance of success.

Player
Manager
John King
If you think Mellon was chiefly responsible for our demotion from League One, it is strange that Palios could not wait to hire him again when he became available.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
What is great about this forum is that we can get a wide range of views, all expressed honestly and eloquently. Posters are often forthright but normally polite. Occasionally, people may take offence at a response to their comment. I believe the offence is never meant, but we should all think twice about how we word things so they cannot be misconstrued. We don't want to lose good members or damage the reputation of this site.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
If you think Mellon was chiefly responsible for our demotion from League One, it is strange that Palios could not wait to hire him again when he became available.

One of the reasons why Mellon did so well, was because it was his man management and bringing the squad with him and believe that they were getting better through his
team ethics. His backroom staff were part of the overall plan. He watched and took part in training when necessary. He took pride in managing Rovers and understood what the fans want from the club. But his most unique quality is that no one that knows him will bad mouth him because of his determination to be successful. His knack of bringing average players to be savvy in tactics and shape, being honest about performance and injuries, the study of opponents and modify tactics to the best of knowledge. He keeps a happy camp.
Trustworthy and deliberate in his own way.
Everything that is new, goes through him.
And finally he will discuss with players at any time, any difficulties, he may be experiencing or situations when the player has to miss training or a match.
I found him to be aware of what makes a good professional, the honesty and integrity he brings to the club.
A bloody good manager, especially for us.

The question of demotion was a decision out of his hands. We did not bring sufficient quality in the summer and was struggling to bring better players in, and when finally in the January window, he brought in better quality who could cope with league one. By the time that the football was stopped because of the covid, the squad was developing into a useful unit.
I actually do think we would have stayed up, but the bad results in the first half of the season, we didn't have enough to get out of the relegation places and performances against Bolton were indicative of the season.

As for MP, well!