• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad 2021-22

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Been in holiday for a week so posted less on here. It doesn’t seem we’re making much headway on the experienced striker front. We’ve got the makings of a good squad elsewhere, but the clock is definitely ticking.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
What a pity we couldnt have brought Scott Quigley in....15 goals last season in a poor Barrow side....instead he moves to Stoclport County in the NL. Another missed opportunity.
Rumoured to have cost £150 grand & signed 3 year deal

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Been in holiday for a week so posted less on here. It doesn’t seem we’re making much headway on the experienced striker front. We’ve got the makings of a good squad elsewhere, but the clock is definitely ticking.
Next week apparently

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Agree with RLC that I wouldn’t be convinced if we’d signed quigley although would have depended on what system Micky wants. He’s not the most mobile and does know where the goal is but despite 15 goals last season (some will be penalties), would prefer us to be aiming higher. Part of me wants Stockport to do well for the ex rovers there but part of me wants them to fall flat on their face

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It has been suggested by several sources that three players are already signed and will be announced next week, with a couple more likely to follow. It will be interesting to see what happens on Monday.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Anyone heard anything about the Burnley behind closed doors friendly being played today?

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Possibles v Probables. I've been in a few of them. Let's hope MM's mind is open to the former- I'm sure it will be.

Player
Too many of them after over 50 years!
We already have a number of players in the squad who will chip in with goals, I'm sure the striker who comes in will also score a decent amount.
I am not disagreeing with you that there is potential within the team but it will depend on how it is set up. There were those who were saying we had the best squad for decades last season but they appear to have not been managed well overall. (Well, were not!) The team won’t score many if they don’t have shots at goal and the number of attempts per game overall last season was pitiful. Do you think that if or when Micky sets the team up with one up front that the other forwards will regularly chip in with goals? I know the pre-season is about fitness but it is why I asked how many shots the team had against Rangers. I am hopeful that Micky gets the strikers he wants. I just think it will be difficult. I will be pleased if he builds a team that ‘has a go’ so to speak, and doesn’t end up playing nice triangles on the periphery areas of the pitch! Certainly, it is looking good in terms of the defensive side of the team.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I am not disagreeing with you that there is potential within the team but it will depend on how it is set up. There were those who were saying we had the best squad for decades last season but they appear to have not been managed well overall. (Well, were not!) The team won’t score many if they don’t have shots at goal and the number of attempts per game overall last season was pitiful. Do you think that if or when Micky sets the team up with one up front that the other forwards will regularly chip in with goals? I know the pre-season is about fitness but it is why I asked how many shots the team had against Rangers. I am hopeful that Micky gets the strikers he wants. I just think it will be difficult. I will be pleased if he builds a team that ‘has a go’ so to speak, and doesn’t end up playing nice triangles on the periphery areas of the pitch! Certainly, it is looking good in terms of the defensive side of the team.
I don't think the amount oh shots st goal in the Rangers game or any of the pre season games is of any relevance to our league 2 campaign.

I am confident that Micky will set the team up in a way that will see us play positive, entertaining and winning football.

Player
Manager
John King
Mellon's teams have been efficient in their use of the ball and have scored a sufficient number of goals in the past and there is no reason why they can't again. He will use whatever tactics best suit the squad.

The squad we are assembling is good and it is still highly likely that another experienced striker will be signed. However, as has been commented above, a twenty goal striker is not a prerequisite for a promotion winning team if the right manager is in place, as Morecambe and Cheltenham demonstrated last season.

The squad is strong in the creative areas, with players like Morris, Feeney, MacManaman, Watson and Merrie, not just defensively.

Player
Manager
John King
We will sign another experienced striker. However, having watched Glatzel and Nevitt last week, I think at least one of those two might surprise people and have a good season.