• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad 2021-22

Player
aldo
Also see some of our knob head fans have been having a go on Twitter again wish they would do one

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Rides has given us eight years of loyal service, commuting over the Pennines and sticking by us through thick and thin. A club of equal standing (some would say bigger) a short drive from his home offers him a two-year deal. We don't even know if Rovers offered him a new contract. In any case, it wouldn't have been for two years and might well have been less money. Add to that the fact that he is set to be number two to Calum McDonald and frankly he'd be a fool not to move. I am very sorry to see him go and even think he might have been worth a two year deal followed by a testimonial, but I think the move is best for both parties. Anyone who criticises him should ask what they would do if offered a job much nearer home with more security and possibly more money.

drwhoman

Rides has given us eight years of loyal service, commuting over the Pennines and sticking by us through thick and thin. A club of equal standing (some would say bigger) a short drive from his home offers him a two-year deal. We don't even know if Rovers offered him a new contract. In any case, it wouldn't have been for two years and might well have been less money. Add to that the fact that he is set to be number two to Calum McDonald and frankly he'd be a fool not to move. I am very sorry to see him go and even think he might have been worth a two year deal followed by a testimonial, but I think the move is best for both parties. Anyone who criticises him should ask what they would do if offered a job much nearer home with more security and possibly more money.
I agree BBTC. A loyal Club man who should be thanked and not criticised. I think Davies might be the only player left from the NL days? How the new squad will go is a real unknown. Much might depend on the quality of the forward players who are brought in from now on. Unless a Vaughan or Norwood clone is signed it might be a ho hum season. At present, I do not feel the same sense of excitement as when Spearing and Vaughan came last summer.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
The recruitment so far has been good and few of the better out of contract strikers have committed themselves yet, so there is still plenty of time to recruit in that position.

Player
Manager
John King
It is interesting that we tried to get Cogley on loan last season and he spoke to Ian Dawes several weeks ago about a permanent transfer, all of which suggests the coaching staff played a big part in his signature.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I agree that the recruitment so far looks promising, though as it features a lot of players who haven’t worked together before and we’re not grafting players onto an established core, but largely starting afresh so there may be some uncertainty about how well and quickly they gel. I get drwhoman’s point about the lack of exciting signings and suspect we won’t be matching last season in that regard. However RLC is right that there are still plenty of decent out of contract forwards out there, hopefully we’ll get one or two of them signed up.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I agree BBTC. A loyal Club man who should be thanked and not criticised. I think Davies might be the only player left from the NL days? How the new squad will go is a real unknown. Much might depend on the quality of the forward players who are brought in from now on. Unless a Vaughan or Norwood clone is signed it might be a ho hum season. At present, I do not feel the same sense of excitement as when Spearing and Vaughan came last summer.
I agree, drwhoman!! Davies is now the last of the non-league squad. In fact, only Davies, Clarke and Morris remain from the squad we had a year ago in League One, unless CBT and Ray re-sign. We have lost a lot of continuity during this close season - some welcome, some not so.

Re your point on Spearing and Vaughan, this time last year we hadn't yet signed them! I remember in June last year we were all underwhelmed by the players signed to date and by even the rumoured signings. Eventually Vaughan, Spearing, Woolery and the rest of the better players arrived. You need to be patient, it's early days!

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Ridehalgh was offered a contract but as back up and it looks like he will be first choice at Bradford so fair play to him. Was a good servant who was always committed to the club, I wish him well.
We have some good players already signed up and I'm certain the squad we end up with will be competing at the top end of the table

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Rovers fans will need to be patient this season. Expectation will be that Micky will have us challenging but with a lot of new faces things may take time to gel. Our last promotion from L2 had the continuity of the national league promotion team, with a few tweaks. This time it’ll be very different

ADD

Player
Norwood
Rovers fans will need to be patient this season. Expectation will be that Micky will have us challenging but with a lot of new faces things may take time to gel. Our last promotion from L2 had the continuity of the national league promotion team, with a few tweaks. This time it’ll be very different
Can't fail to be better than the start of last season - the die was cast from the pre-season games. I think we will be fine. Whether we will be challenging or not will depend on whether we have sufficient funds to bring in a couple of players who will make the difference and bang in the goals or else Jolley/ Burton show they are up to it I suppose given Jolley was supposedly good enough to be playing first team football last season.

Player
Manager
John King
It seems another signing will be arriving before the beginning of next week.

Reactions: ADD

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Wouldn't be surprised if it was theclad whi git hat-trick at Wembley for Warrington Rylands.
Really not sure we want to take a punt as that would mean Jolley, Burton and an untried 21 year old from way down the pyramid. That would be 3 strikers with big question marks around them all.

Let’s get some experience in up front

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Really not sure we want to take a punt as that would mean Jolley, Burton and an untried 21 year old from way down the pyramid. That would be 3 strikers with big question marks around them all.

I agree but we are one of 3 clubs after him.

Player
Manager
John King

I don't think there is a problem as long as we bring in a couple of experienced strikers later on, which I am sure we will. He is the kind of player we have missed out on in the past, and is worth taking a gamble on. You can't sign a Vardy or a Charlie Austin unless you are prepared to take a risk.

Burton is probably costing buttons and I doubt Jolley is on a substantial wage, so I am sure there is plenty of the budget still available.