• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad 2021-22

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes I agree that none of Jolley, Burton and the Warrington lad would cost much. I’ve always wondered why we don’t take more non league punts but it is low risk. He could be a vardy but could be a Darren Stephenson so who knows.

still time to bring some experience in

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Danilo Orsi who we were linked with signs for Harrogate. The striker scored 19 goals in the national league last season

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Danilo Orsi who we were linked with signs for Harrogate. The striker scored 19 goals in the national league last season
Not too bothered as he was 25 and he has only had one good season. The Warrington lad sounds a better prospect.

Without a proper academy, if we want to make money from selling players on, we need to scout for the best players in non-league. It's risky, but we only need the odd one to pay off. The problem is that if we give them a long contract, they may be c**p. If we give them a short contract, they can leave on a free.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
We just don't have the resources or the time to be blooding youngsters. Our primary goal is to move up the leagues. I don't think we are particularly in the market for buying young players to sell on. They are bought for their potential and ability in the squad. It is good to have competition for places but I'm sure we will be looking for an experienced front man to replace Vaughan. Not an easy task though.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
I like the idea of taking a punt on a non- league player. As RLC says there is a chance we may get a bargain and even unearth another Vardy.
For a minute I was going to suggest Woodbury until I saw he was still under contract with Liverpool, and more significantly saw his reported salary....bloody hell!! Unless he realises his perceived potential for top level I think he'll be looking at a big drop in income at his next club.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I like the idea of taking a punt on a non- league player. As RLC says there is a chance we may get a bargain and even unearth another Vardy.
For a minute I was going to suggest Woodbury until I saw he was still under contract with Liverpool, and more significantly saw his reported salary....bloody hell!! Unless he realises his perceived potential for top level I think he'll be looking at a big drop in income at his next club.
Do you mean Ben Woodburn?

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Assuming you mean Ben Woodburn, his career really does seem to have stuttered. In addition to a few first team games for Liverpool, he had three lower league loan spells including at Blackpool last season but has only managed 2 goals in 48 games. He has scored the same number for Wales in ten internationals. He would be a risk, but given the right development under Micky, he might recover some form. For me, he would certainly be a marquee signing.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I don't think Woodburn is up to much and I doubt we would be interested in him. He has featured a number of times against Rovers in recent years and has not impressed and, as BBTC says, his previous loan spells in the Football League have been unconvincing.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Sorry typo - I did mean Woodburn, but ruled it out quickly when I saw a reported salary of £12k per week. Given he now appears not be the new Michael Owen, I would guess he will see his contract out as I can't see him getting anything like that when he does eventually move on. As BBTC says his career seems to be fizzling out. A lower league manager might revive and improve him - albeit they would have to afford him first.

drwhoman

Ben Woodburn has never had Owen’s explosive pace but his is an intelligent and clever player. A no 10 really who has an eye for the killer pass. He has struggled due to injuries and maybe a lack of physical presence. He needs to show more of that to succeed in the EFL. Wages would obviously be the issue but he might go ok jut behind a physical Cook type forward.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
George Ray has confirmed he's left, not s surprise as it just didn't work out.

Player
aldo
I am glad about that he never filled me with confidence, yes the club are not communicating well this summer over players, I know Mark said he did not think the club should in the Facebook stuff but a little thank you from the club goes a long way letting them selfs down a little

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Slightly disappointed that there is nothing on the official site from what I’ve seen paying tribute to Rides for his service with the club. There may be something on Twitter but still think after 8 years something should have been put out
Totally agree with this. I think the club's approach with regards to communication with fans and giving due credit to departing players,, especially stalwarts like Liam is very disappointing.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think they tend to do this more on Twitter now so you just need to be looking in the right place. It also gives the fans chance to comment (which could be a good or bad thing) i suppose!
I never look at the official site and it tends to have less than twitter in terms of engagement and bang up-to-date news. Plus all the players use it too!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes Twitter is fine but I think people of a certain age won’t use it. Twitter is fine for a sentence or two but I still think for someone like rides a couple of paragraphs and perhaps a photo about his loyalty and achievements with us etc (not mentioning borehamwood!), would have been appreciated by the player and fans.

maybe I’m a bit too sentimental