• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The squad 20/21

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
That is disappointing and makes it all the more urgent that we sign Woodyard.

I assume he wanted to return home to Northern Ireland.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Find it a bit troubling that two players still in their prime in Jennings and McCullough have moved to what are or appear to be lesser leagues. Did we make any effort to retain either, accepting what Mark said about new contracts. Could say both have moved closer to home.

Player
Manager
John King
Perhaps we would not match the length of contract offered by Glentoran due to McCullough's injury record.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
A shame that McCullough has moved on, if for pulse done well for us although he has had 3 serious knee injuries.

I really do hope our reluctance to offer contracts is not coming back to bite us and he got a better/longer deal elsewere.

Player
aldo
McCullough is always injured. can we really depend on someone who only plays a few games no matter how good they are? but have to say we really need to see some movement the other way

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
That’s disappointing about Luke but not disastrous. Time for MJ to start earning his pennies!

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
That’s disappointing about Luke but not disastrous. Time for MJ to start earning his pennies!
if Woodward signs then not too bad a loss but if we end with any of potter, Perkins and danns and we don't sign woodyard then will be a blow.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Even if we do sign Woodyard, still would need someone to protect the back four and break up play. I wouldn't be keen on re-signing any of the trio bigmart names, Danns probably the best on last season's showing.

Player
Manager
John King
Woodyard can tackle and break up play, so I don't necessarily think we would need another defensive midfielder.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Woodyard can tackle and break up play, so I don't necessarily think we would need another defensive midfielder.
It’s not like we’ve got any defensive midfielders atm. If Woodyard does sign, wouldn’t he be better deployed further forward, which was where he was mainly used during his loan spell?

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I would not write Danns or Perkins off yet. Both are still very fit and quick, despite their age. I think they would make excellent squad players in League Two. You need some experience in the squad to cover injuries, suspensions or loss of form. Depending on who else is available and affordable, I would not be surprised to see them offered a one-year deal.

But we do need some hungry players at the top of their game to make up the first eleven. Assuming Manny and CBT leave to free up funds, I reckon we have only five or six who are likely to start regularly next season. Despite this, I don't expect us to sign a lot of players in the next month or so. A lot of players will still be out of contract when the window closes, so we may wait to pick up a few bargains.

Player
Manager
John King
It’s not like we’ve got any defensive midfielders atm. If Woodyard does sign, wouldn’t he be better deployed further forward, which was where he was mainly used during his loan spell?
But surely Woodyard is a defensive midfielder ? He is a runner and a ball winner rather than being creative. A better version of Jay Harris really.

Player
Manager
John King
I would not write Danns or Perkins off yet. Both are still very fit and quick, despite their age. I think they would make excellent squad players in League Two. You need some experience in the squad to cover injuries, suspensions or loss of form. Depending on who else is available and affordable, I would not be surprised to see them offered a one-year deal.

But we do need some hungry players at the top of their game to make up the first eleven. Assuming Manny and CBT leave to free up funds, I reckon we have only five or six who are likely to start regularly next season. Despite this, I don't expect us to sign a lot of players in the next month or so. A lot of players will still be out of contract when the window closes, so we may wait to pick up a few bargains.
I don't think it would be sensible to offer Danns or Perkins anything. They both looked like they were coming to the end last season, although Danns was slightly the better of the two, and if finances and the squad size are restricted, I think our money would be better spent elsewhere.

ADD

Player
Norwood
I would agree with the others on here re Perkins but Danns I thought was distinctly better last season and is worth another year if he wants it - the young players we would be able to afford to bring in simply would not have the vision or craft that Danns has.
All that said the lack of any news is starting to worry - many clubs are back in training and we have what about 6 first team picks only since CBT and Manny will surely go. The fact that Jacko doesn't have an assistant yet will also be putting a lot of pressure on him with no support to sift through all the Agent's communications etc. etc. - the last thing he needs in his first full time role.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
But surely Woodyard is a defensive midfielder ? He is a runner and a ball winner rather than being creative. A better version of Jay Harris really.
I don't think it would be sensible to offer Danns or Perkins anything. They both looked like they were coming to the end last season, although Danns was slightly the better of the two, and if finances and the squad size are restricted, I think our money would be better spent elsewhere.
You’ve seen more of Woodyard than me, though my inclination is he’s better deployed further forward. Would still say we need 2 capable of doing the defensive midfielder role.

Agree re Perkins and Danns.BBTC makes a valid point about experience, but that in itself doesn’t seem enough in the days of smaller squads; we can’t afford to be carrying any passengers.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
With a smallish squad size Danns could warrant a year. However, at a certain age players are potentially one injury away from the end of their career no matter how fit they are - and we already have Clarke.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I find it a bit concerning that we haven't signed anybody or 're-signed any of the out of contract players yet. The season is due to start in less than 7 weeks, none of our.players have done any.full time training for well over 4 months and there is nothing yet on the rest of the management team.

drwhoman

It could well be a thought bubble on my part but if there is any compensation in prospect might this influence who we might want to sign? Alternatively, MP might not have given up on legal action yet and our league destination is unknown? Very concerning whatever is going on although there do not appear to be a huge number of signings going on at present so maybe players are having to adjust to a new pay normal. Time will tell!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It’ll all come together. Failing that, make sure you’ve got a clean pair of boots!