• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The squad 20/21

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
It could well be a thought bubble on my part but if there is any compensation in prospect might this influence who we might want to sign? Alternatively, MP might not have given up on legal action yet and our league destination is unknown? Very concerning whatever is going on although there do not appear to be a huge number of signings going on at present so maybe players are having to adjust to a new pay normal. Time will tell!

Especially after the case in Scotland went against hearts and Patrick I cannot see us mounting a legal challenge, it will be too costly.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Given the tribunal decision in Scotland, not to reverse the relegation for Hearts/Partick or award them any compensation, the legal route will seem much less appealing now and I don't think there was much confidence from the Palioi that they'd get anywhere with that. While I thought it highly unlikely we'd reverse the demotion, did hold out some hope of compensation, but that now seems unlikely.

It's interesting that there are 10 L2 clubs including ourselves, who haven't either signed new players or secured out of contract players on new deals. While some of them have head case owners like Southend and Macc, others like Cheltenham, Colchester and Exeter reached the play-offs last season. The danger of waiting too long for good players to lower their demands and become affordable, is that there won't be enough time to work with them before the season resumes.

drwhoman

Given the tribunal decision in Scotland, not to reverse the relegation for Hearts/Partick or award them any compensation, the legal route will seem much less appealing now and I don't think there was much confidence from the Palioi that they'd get anywhere with that. While I thought it highly unlikely we'd reverse the demotion, did hold out some hope of compensation, but that now seems unlikely.

It's interesting that there are 10 L2 clubs including ourselves, who haven't either signed new players or secured out of contract players on new deals. While some of them have head case owners like Southend and Macc, others like Cheltenham, Colchester and Exeter reached the play-offs last season. The danger of waiting too long for good players to lower their demands and become affordable, is that there won't be enough time to work with them before the season resumes.
Agree Boz but do we truly know what our financial position is other than that it is fine? We will also know that while 12th Sept is being talked about as a starting date, the government is saying that it will be October before crowds are allowed and then, probably, on a reduced basis. Might be ok for us, given the size of our ground, but other clubs might struggle to social distance their fans, and ours, if away fans are allowed.

ADD

Player
Norwood
It seems Woodyard and Vaughan ITK reports were wrong - dont believe we would have held back this long.
That plus the lack of any news is concerning....

Last edited:

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
It seems Woodyard and Vaughan ITK reports were wrong - dont believe we would have held back this long.
That plus the lack of any news is concerning....
I don't think we can afford Vaughan as for woodyard a 2 year deal was agreed.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I don't think the reports regarding Woodyard were wrong. It seems we were in advanced discussions with him, but something has been delayed or gone wrong.

rossb07

Player
Adam Buxton
Or nothing official due to the club not wanting to pay his wages in full until the lads are all back.

Other clubs he was linked to haven’t announced anything either so it’s just a case of we’ll see unfortunately. Times we live in...

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
steveeeeee released by York which is a bit surprising. He was skipper and played a lot last season Altho him and bucko had a mare in their play off defeat last Saturday. Wonder if Jacko fancies bringing him in as number 2.....

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
steveeeeee released by York which is a bit surprising. He was skipper and played a lot last season Altho him and bucko had a mare in their play off defeat last Saturday. Wonder if Jacko fancies bringing him in as number 2.....
I would hope for an experienced number 2 but it's gone very quiet on the coaching side of things in addition to the playing side.

Player
Manager
John King
I would hope for an experienced number 2 but it's gone very quiet on the coaching side of things in addition to the playing side.
Is 1st August going to be the tipping point when Rovers and a number of other clubs start offering contracts ?

It might be that we simply wanted to keep new players off the payroll in July, given that we still had to make a wages payment to the out of contract players in that month.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Is 1st August going to be the tipping point when Rovers and a number of other clubs start offering contracts ?

It might be that we simply wanted to keep new players off the payroll in July, given that we still had to make a wages payment to the out of contract players in that month.
I would hope so but just don't know, I believe the players we have are back training next week, possibly from Wednesday so there should be plenty of activity from next week onwatds.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Why are there so many glass half empty supporters ? Let’s have a bit of trust in the club. Plenty of clubs in our position and we know MP is not one to rush into things. Signings will be made.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Why are there so many glass half empty supporters ? Let’s have a bit of trust in the club. Plenty of clubs in our position and we know MP is not one to rush into things. Signings will be made.
nobody doubts signings will be made but it is the quality of the signings that will be key. In recent seasons our summer recruitment has not been too good but improved in January but that was under an experienced manager, this time it is a rookie and could well make things tougher.

Player
Manager
John King
In the last two seasons we have not been able to compete financially in the summer due to the rapid promotions, particularly last season, and have only really been able to improve the squad in the January window with money raised from cup runs.

However, that should change this summer due to the impact of COVID and the introduction of a salary cap. We can't compete with Bolton, Salford, Mansfield and FGR but we should be on a pretty level footing with the rest.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I am a pessimist at the best of times, but feeling particularly gloomy for the coming season. I accept that the uncertainty relating to ongoing covid issues, the re-start and if/when/how a salary cap will operate make an football club owners position very challenging, but if a salary cap is operated in the way I've seen suggested, it will tilt things very much in favour of those clubs who've done their spending early.

I'd add Bradford to RLCs list of sides we can't compete with financially. While money doesn't automatically = promotion it goes a long way towards it. If you add sides who have retained all their key players from last season to the mix, thinking Port Vale in particular, but maybe others, then we probably start behind at least half a dozen. We've a relative rookie as manager and are going to need some new players, who even if decent quality are going to take time to bed in. Things may look better in a week or two...

Last edited:

ADD

Player
Norwood
Because we are Tranmere fans... so have seen it all...
This close season has however been even by ours thoroughly dispiriting - relegation by foul means still rankles massively with me at least. Uplifting talk of legal challenges/ arbitration and regular updates from MP and Nicola early on but complete silence recently and sadly absolutely clear now nothing is going to come of it. Then MM goes, then Jacko announced which however it is spinned I doubt was first choice or indeed top 3 choice from very many when MM initially left and then after the fanfare of his appointment absolutely nothing. No mention of assistant manager appointment so has Jacko been doing all the recruitment himself with no support - if so a massive ask for a rookie manager?
Then on signings Woodyard mentioned on the forums but even if initially true looks like it has fallen away whilst McCullough prefers to go to Glentoran (even assuming we offered him a deal). Maybe there is lots of activity and a slew of quality signing will be announced over the coming days but I have my doubts. Other teams like those mentioned above have been spending cash (they didn't have 2 months ago haha!) so guaranteeing they can breach the salary cap (fairly according to the EFL due to the transition arrangements) so basically sewing up the top of the table between them since other (sensible/ well run/ prudent, live within their means etc. etc.) clubs will not be able to catch up even if they wanted or could afford to.
What that means to me is at best a season coming up where we should expect to finish mid table at best and god forbid if we recruit poorly or Jacko does not cut the mustard in the hot seat. Add in no crowds for at least the first month (though with talks of a second wave even that must be in doubt) and almost certainly no away trips for the forseeable that is why Boz in his post above and me and many others are concerned.

Player
Jonny Morrisey
I follow Jamie O'Hara on Instagram and Woodyard is training with Billericay this week.....getting himself ready for a move up north next week I reckon!