• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

FA Cup Stevenage (4) v Tranmere (3)

Match result

• Stevenage

Votes: 8 100.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Stevenage (4) v Tranmere (3)
Posted by Ian
The Lamex Stadium
Saturday, November 4, 2023 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, November 4, 2023 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I think that may be 6 defeats in a row now in all competitions???

It’s not all Nigel’s fault of course but he’s had time to solve our defensive issues and hasn’t shown he can.

Player
Aldo
we’ve spent the season on the wrong side of single goal deficits , the spirit must be decent to get back to 3-3 . need a leader at the back

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
You can't reasonably opine anything you haven't seen. But on the face of it very unlucky at a team far better than we will face moving forward. Nigel has only just started and the club isn't in freefall off the park, history shows that struggling teams like us in the early part of the season tend to turn it around.
We'll be fine

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
we’ve spent the season on the wrong side of single goal deficits , the spirit must be decent to get back to 3-3 . need a leader at the back
Some of the Dawes games we fell to pieces, how we didn't get hammered is beyond me. Lots better now, Nigel has sorted the cover for the fullbacks which was shambolic before.
Norris is a game changer

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Some of the Dawes games we fell to pieces, how we didn't get hammered is beyond me. Lots better now, Nigel has sorted the cover for the fullbacks which was shambolic before.
Norris is a game changer
‘Lots better now’? We’re joint bottom of the league and just conceded 4 away from home.

Is that lots better than Dawes tenure? Nigel has been in place since May so hasn’t just started. Ok he’s now the number one but was a mentor to Dawes.

I still think we’ll stay up but it was a massive risk to give Nigel a new deal when before today we had won 2 in 10 under him and lost 5 successive games.

I’d say performances have been a bit better but all I care about is results.

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Hard to judge without being able to listen to any of the game, but it’s frustrating that we weren’t able to take this to a replay after our own injury time leveller.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
In the last third of the game we have conceded three goals!
And that is soooo much better!

You can't build a team that let's in the goals we have since HE has been in charge!
We are not alright!
We will keep losing unless the defence improves!

Reactions: Boz

drwhoman

There is so much negativity. That was a much better result than I anticipated. We just got pipped away from home by a team 6th in the division above. Now the players have certainty about the management there should be a stronger commitment from them. See what happens!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
There is so much negativity. That was a much better result than I anticipated. We just got pipped away from home by a team 6th in the division above. Now the players have certainty about the management there should be a stronger commitment from them. See what happens!
I think negativity is understandable when you’ve lost six in a row and are joint bottom of the league after a third of the season.

I really do not want to be playing Dorking Wanderers next season.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Gutted to lose so late on but we have now lost 10 straight away games which is simply appalling.
The discipline is shocking and needs to drastically improve if we are to have any hope of staying up.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
There were positives but sadly the negatives outweigh them. We have to try and boost the defence in January as that is now the biggest concern.

drwhoman

There were positives but sadly the negatives outweigh them. We have to try and boost the defence in January as that is now the biggest concern.
I have lost count of the number of full backs we have signed but non of them are as good as the two we had last season. We can be critical of Turnbull and Davies but they have not suddenly become bad players. It is the defensive unit that is the issue despite having a better goalkeeper!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I have lost count of the number of full backs we have signed but non of them are as good as the two we had last season. We can be critical of Turnbull and Davies but they have not suddenly become bad players. It is the defensive unit that is the issue despite having a better goalkeeper!
In simple terms, Dawes played 4-3-3 and got sacked. It wasn’t the only cause for bad results but did contribute.

Nigel has played the same and especially away from home it isn’t working. Davies and Turnbull are good players but they clearly need help and the system doesn’t give them enough. Yet Nigel has been sticking with it apart from a few tweaks here and there.

Player
Aldo
Norris is a game changer
Was talking about a 'leader' , I didn't mention full backs . Re full backs - how has Nigel 'sorted the cover '? Lee on the right , Pike on the left ?
I agree Norris is a game changer, if he stays fit we could all be singing Nigels name at the end of the season , if he doesn't stay fit .....
Personally I don't think that the football has changed that dramatically since Dawes departure . There were some spirited performances under Dawes as there have been under Atkins. For most of the fans its the results that count. Norris had only played 2 full league games under Dawes , won one , lost one, and we were winning against Salford when he was withdrawn. Not sure why a player who had just had a great season for his home town team in a promotion winning team would leave to play for a team in a lower division 200 miles away. I am optimistic that we will stay up if Norris stays fit.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
In simple terms, Dawes played 4-3-3 and got sacked. It wasn’t the only cause for bad results but did contribute.

Nigel has played the same and especially away from home it isn’t working. Davies and Turnbull are good players but they clearly need help and the system doesn’t give them enough. Yet Nigel has been sticking with it apart from a few tweaks here and there.
Yes, I do think they get less protection but I also think they are very limited players. If Adkins is going to persist with 433 maybe we need better defenders.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Yes it is time to give LOC a start in that role. Something needs to change as we’re losing every week. We’ve plenty of full backs so other options at right back
Pike at right back but who at left back as nobody has yet convinced in that position this season or Pike left back then no right back

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Pike at right back but who at left back as nobody has yet convinced in that position this season or Pike left back then no right back
Yes that is the dilemma. Don’t want Yarney at RB and Wood has looked dodgy at LB. Leake isn’t fit yet. Can’t remember what game it was but one of Nigel’s wins was I think with turnbull at LB and Yarney in the middle.
Either way I can’t see LOC playing in the middle anytime soon

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Yes that is the dilemma. Don’t want Yarney at RB and Wood has looked dodgy at LB. Leake isn’t fit yet. Can’t remember what game it was but one of Nigel’s wins was I think with turnbull at LB and Yarney in the middle.
Either way I can’t see LOC playing in the middle anytime soon
Wasn't that the Accrington game.