• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

FA Cup Stevenage (4) v Tranmere (3)

Match result

• Stevenage

Votes: 8 100.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Stevenage (4) v Tranmere (3)
Posted by Ian
The Lamex Stadium
Saturday, November 4, 2023 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, November 4, 2023 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
While it’s obvious we need to sort out our defensive record, bringing Garnett back to the club isn’t the answer.

We wouldn't have needed Dawes, if the club had not relieved him of his services!

This argument either (1) ignores the fact that Dawes joined the club because the manager, Jacko, chose him to be his assistant, or (2) presupposes that Jacko would’ve chosen Garnett to be his assistant if he’d still been employed by the club, or (3) implies that Jacko should have had Garnett imposed on him by the club.

Given the regular chat elsewhere on here about managers choosing their own backroom teams, surely we can discount (3)..;)

Last edited:

drwhoman

I think if we can keep Norris fit and Apter in the side then we’ll have no problems scoring goals, especially with back up from the likes of Hawkes, CJ and Morris.

McGee looked gutted yesterday and Davies has hands on head.

I guess Nigel will be saying to the two centre backs you have until January to buck your ideas up or otherwise we’ll be bringing new reinforcements. That said I still think the 4-3-3 system isn’t working especially away from home as results show.
I would suggest that the real issue is teamwork. Turnbull and Davies are not suddenly bad players. Lacking in confidence maybe with no real team leader like Spearing leading by example. There is a real need to get the defence to work as a unit with help from the midfield and the attack when defending. That is what Nigel has to do.

Reactions: Boz

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Wonder who’s responsible for the defensive coaching at present. Parkinson does the pre-match drills, but would like to think Adkins as a former keeper would have some good ideas on this. However if Nigel is significantly involved, his ideas so far don’t seem to be making a difference.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Yes, it's Shaun!
If the club had retained him, then there would have been no need to take on Dawes, as we at the resumption of football were a coach short, and more so when Jacko was given the managers job.
Another weird decision in my opinion by the owners.
Shaun was involved in the club for somewhere around thirty years.
What changed? Other than covid? The staff were on furlough!
Not having a coach that is a defender seems daft!

Reactions: Boz
Yes, it's Shaun!
If the club had retained him, then there would have been no need to take on Dawes, as we at the resumption of football were a coach short, and more so when Jacko was given the managers job.
Again, this argument either (1) ignores the fact that Dawes joined the club because the manager, Jacko, chose him to be his assistant, or (2) presupposes that Jacko would’ve chosen Garnett to be his assistant if he’d still been employed by the club, or (3) implies that Jacko should have had Garnett imposed on him by the club.

Which is it?

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Shaun ran the China thing and covid finished his job. He never really wanted first team work

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I still find it curious that Garnett was one of the first out of the door during covid, given that the campus and the college were clearly going to require experienced staff post-covid.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Shaun ran the China thing and covid finished his job. He never really wanted first team work
The international desk as it was called is still running.
And he did still do coaching when I spoke to him pre covid.
As far as I'm aware, not certain the analysis post changed the summer before covid.
But why get rid of the coaching staff only to replace them when it started up again?

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
The international desk as it was called is still running.
And he did still do coaching when I spoke to him pre covid.
As far as I'm aware, not certain the analysis post changed the summer before covid.
But why get rid of the coaching staff only to replace them when it started up again?
Pretty sure he was spending long periods over there which came to a sudden halt, he was certainly in the wrong place when the music stopped.