• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Starting football again

Player
aldo
I don,t think that will be allowed if I'm right it's a listed building also the village prob won,t let it happen

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
You are probably right bigmart but the market might be limited given that many clubs are now allegedly very poor! I think that many players are going to have to adjust their future financial expectations!
But regardless of restricted finances, players of a certain ability will still play at their 'natural' level. Wages are going to be reduced across the board, so League One and Championship players are not suddenly going to become available to us.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Woodward has been linked with orient and Colchester on efl zone twitter, not sure how reliable it is.

drwhoman

But regardless of restricted finances, players of a certain ability will still play at their 'natural' level. Wages are going to be reduced across the board, so League One and Championship players are not suddenly going to become available to us.
Fair comment RLC although some players might think about the solvency of their new employer before they sign for anyone. No one will want to stress over whether they will get paid every week. If nothing else, our position might attract the better L2 players. I am sure that many L2 clubs are struggling financially. Even the ones promoted from L2 might be thinking about how they will afford better players. This was a dilemma Rovers faced last summer even without Covid 19.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Financial constraints may also force teams to have smaller squads of experienced players, bolstered by youngsters, meaning some will need to drop down the leagues to continue playing. It's all speculation, but wouldn't be a surprise to see a few players from the Championship in L2 next season.

Player
Manager
John King
Some may drop from League One to Two , but the Championship to League Two seems unlikely. You have to bear in mind that Championship clubs receive substantial TV money and are less dependent on gate receipts than clubs in the bottom two divisions.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Some Championship clubs have also been spending money they don't have to reach the promised land so it will be interesting to see how they fair financially.

Player
Manager
John King
If some of their players are surplus to requirements, you would still expect them to drop to the wealthier clubs in League One rather than League Two. There is a hell of a gulf between the two levels.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes, agreed. There is a big difference between 1 and 2 imo. I wonder what the difference is between the championship and 1?

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Yes, agreed. There is a big difference between 1 and 2 imo. I wonder what the difference is between the championship and 1?
I think it must be a lot bigger than when we were up there. We added a few players to our third tier side and reached the playoffs three times. Because of the growth of the EPL, the Championship is now much more competitive, more like a Premiership 2.

drwhoman

I think what you say is true BBTC although we were fortunate at that time to have a number of home grown players who were able to step up. I suspect that today many of them would be poached by PL teams at an early stage. At the same time the Johnson money and some astute transfer activity gave us real impetus. The likes of Aldridge and Nevin signing for us were real coups.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I think what you say is true BBTC although we were fortunate at that time to have a number of home grown players who were able to step up. I suspect that today many of them would be poached by PL teams at an early stage. At the same time the Johnson money and some astute transfer activity gave us real impetus. The likes of Aldridge and Nevin signing for us were real coups.
Agreed. You are right. Times have changed a lot.

Player
aldo
the problem with the championship is that 90% of the clubs are overspending by hundreds of millions and if they don,t get up they are going to be screwed. this is one of the reasons for them to carry on they can,t afford not to when reading are spending 2 times the money they bring in on wages says it all and they are nowhere near the top, then you see the likes of Dardy county who are 100m in the red it's eyewatering.

Player
Manager
John King
There are reports in the Mirror today that we are gearing up for legal action. However, I don't know if they have any new information or are just guessing.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
There are reports in the Mirror today that we are gearing up for legal action. However, I don't know if they have any new information or are just guessing.
I’m not convinced the club would be successful. Playing devil’s advocate, the rule change was carried democratically and MP’s proposal was put to a vote and defeated. Mark also tried to change the rules mid-season and in his club’s favour. In any case, even if what was done was found to be illegal, it won’t necessarily guarantee what replaces it will keep us up.

I’m not saying what was done was right. I am still fuming. But it could be a very costly mistake.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
We may know more on Wednesday with the q & a with Mark & nicola.

Not sure the legal.route will.ultimately overturn the.decision and is.likely to be costly and take some time. Although it could be for compensation I guess.

Last edited:
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
We may know more on Wednesday with the q & a with Mark & nicola.

Not sure the legal.route will.ultimately overturn the.decision and is.likely to be costly and take some time. Although it could be for compensation I guess.
Good point. If the EFL are worried and want to settle asap, MP may be offered a sweetener. Whether he'd take it or fight on is a moot point.

Player
Manager
John King
I’m not convinced the club would be successful. Playing devil’s advocate, the rule change was carried democratically and MP’s proposal was put to a vote and defeated. Mark also tried to change the rules mid-season and in his club’s favour. In any case, even if what was done was found to be illegal, it won’t necessarily guarantee what replaces it will keep us up.

I’m not saying what was done was right. I am still fuming. But it could be a very costly mistake.
But MP did not believe the rules could be changed mid competition and only proposed a change in response to the EFL proposal. We do not know if, firstly, it was legal to change the rules mid competition and, secondly, for the clubs themselves to adjudicate on that change rather than an independent body.

Player
aldo
me and the wifey have got the SWA2 tickets we get every year not bothered if they don't get used it helps the club that's all that matters