• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Starting football again

drwhoman

A predictable kick in the guts. As many have said, pure self interest which is inevitable. What a roller coaster ride supporting Rovers has been in the last few years! No point in keeping the legal profession in big cars. The situation in New Zealand will be interesting. They are now back to normal, no social distancing etc. if that goes well then maybe the rest of us might be out of this sooner than we think and crowds can go to games again.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Given the silence from the club so far, it seems likely we are going to take legal action, or at least considering it.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Mark has made a statement, the club will.lose £1 million in finding with relegation and that doesn't take into account starting next season behind closed doors. Even more sadly people.will lose their jobs due to this.

Player
Manager
John King
Mark has made a statement, the club will.lose £1 million in finding with relegation and that doesn't take into account starting next season behind closed doors. Even more sadly people.will lose their jobs due to this.
Yet, a number of clubs in mid table voted to relegate us because they did not want to lose 30k in funding because of a 25 team league next season.......

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Yet, a number of clubs in mid table voted to relegate us because they did not want to lose 30k in funding because of a 25 team league next season.......
it has been a total farce from start to finisb, the efl have allowed it to drag on until the point that the season could not be finished and have left it in the hands of the club's who are only interested in themselves with the outcome of relegation for us

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It’s a kick in the teeth but we will come back. We have excellent people in charge and we know what level we need to be at to compete in league one. Lets hope we can all return safe and well to watching and getting behind Rovers again very soon.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
MP in a difficult situation. Can we afford to make a legal challenge when we’re going to lose £1M Anyway if the decision is the same?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Hadn't appreciated that the cost of this decision was going to be so great. It almost makes it worth having a legal challenge.

drwhoman

It will be interesting to see how those of L1 clubs that have cried poor get on next season, having allegedly been unable to continue in this campaign. If they are in such desperate financial straits now how will they keep/sign L1 quality players, and how they go with no crowds for a while in 20-21? It is a very unkind thing to say perhaps but if one of them fell over now would our relegation be annulled? Shame the decision could not have been based on financial stability!
On a general theme, I suspect that a lot of clubs are going to be in trouble with no crowds and we may see the return of the part time player in the EFL. Unlike the PL and possibly some Championship clubs, people through the gate is the core source of income for most clubs.
There is an article on the Guardian Football website on the decision taken and it is fair to say that Peterborough are apoplectic! They make the point that if margin for error was utilised they would definitely have a shout for promotion as they have a good home record and the majority of their remaining games are at home against bottom ten teams! oh well. All history now.

Player
Manager
John King
MP in a difficult situation. Can we afford to make a legal challenge when we’re going to lose £1M Anyway if the decision is the same?
We would not be the only club involved in the action, so would not have to meet the full cost. I am sure MP would only take action if we stood a good chance of compensation, which is quite likely given the way the EFL have behaved.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
You wonder where this leaves the squad and offers of contracts. I’m guessing Of those out of contract most expire at the end of June? Including people like Jennings who would be a key player in league 2...

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It is a very unkind thing to say perhaps but if one of them fell over now would our relegation be annulled?

I suspect they're more likely to leave the league one down or promote the L2 play-off loser.

Player
Manager
John King
I suspect they're more likely to leave the league one down or promote the L2 play-off loser.
If five League One clubs went bust, they would probably promote nine from League Two......

Player
Manager
John King
You wonder where this leaves the squad and offers of contracts. I’m guessing Of those out of contract most expire at the end of June? Including people like Jennings who would be a key player in league 2...
Lots of clubs will be in massive financial trouble in the months ahead, so we should be in a reasonable position to compete.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Had my beers now!!The fact that it is £1m even before the games played with no fans surprises me! The 5 clubs who voted to continue have enough money between them. Worth a go. No way it would stand up a CAS or in court if push came to shove..

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Given the silence from the club so far, it seems likely we are going to take legal action, or at least considering it.
Reading between the lines, Mark has planned for life in League Two but has certainly not accepted the situation and is considering his options.
I don't know on what basis exactly the legal challenge could be made. Possibly it was the vote to change the EFL regulations about clubs not being relegated if the season is not finished. It seems strange that such a fundamental rule like that could be changed in mid-season.