• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Starting football again

drwhoman

I could be wrong ADD but I think they are changing the regulation before they take the decision! In other words, change the regulation to suit their purpose.

drwhoman

My previous post refers. EFL Statement on the BBC website:

"It is understood the meeting has been pushed back 24 hours because clubs were given voting papers on Wednesday and five days are required before an EGM can take place.

"The EFL Board met today and considered a number of proposals submitted by EFL clubs in respect of proposed amendments to EFL regulations in order to determine what will happen in the event the 2019-20 season is curtailed in any EFL division," an EFL statement said.

"This now brings an end to a comprehensive consultation phase and clubs have today received formal notice of the meeting which will now take place on Tuesday, 9 June.

"At that meeting clubs will consider a number of different proposals from both clubs and the board of the EFL."

drwhoman

This is the view from Southend which you cannot argue with but it will not happen. I like the comment about this not being a pub quiz. Shame the EFL think it is!

"Southend are 16 points from safety with nine games left to play, and chairman Ron Martin said on 11 May that he believes the campaign should be voided.

"If we are unable to finish the season, is allocating an average points per game fair? Of course not. This is a football competition, potentially with many twists and turns, not a pub quiz. Peoples' livelihoods are at stake.

"People will cite voiding the season is based on self-interest; they are not wrong. The interests of Southend United must come first.

"No chairman of any other club, if they are being honest, would argue differently. There is 'self-interest' in every club in each league and it is for this reason that the 'integrity' of the competition is said to be paramount. If the competition cannot be finished, then it should be voided."

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
This is the view from Southend which you cannot argue with but it will not happen. I like the comment about this not being a pub quiz. Shame the EFL think it is!

"Southend are 16 points from safety with nine games left to play, and chairman Ron Martin said on 11 May that he believes the campaign should be voided.

"If we are unable to finish the season, is allocating an average points per game fair? Of course not. This is a football competition, potentially with many twists and turns, not a pub quiz. Peoples' livelihoods are at stake.

"People will cite voiding the season is based on self-interest; they are not wrong. The interests of Southend United must come first.

"No chairman of any other club, if they are being honest, would argue differently. There is 'self-interest' in every club in each league and it is for this reason that the 'integrity' of the competition is said to be paramount. If the competition cannot be finished, then it should be voided."
At least he’s honest. To be fair, MP’s proposal is rooted in self-interest - and this may be why it has not had the support it might have had. But frankly, every club and the league itself seem to be acting in their own self-interest. This is always likely to happen in the absence of leadership. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52836189

Last edited:
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I have accepted the inevitability now - what a bunch of b@@tards much as I am fu@@ing furious about it ... I am trying to think it is no different as before our 3 game winning streak when we were dead and buried and frankly deserved to go down BUT it is not the same! We should go legal and I think would win ultimately but I know MP will not.
Self interest sadly I get but what frustrates me more than anything is that I have tried to find out on multiple sites and by direct messaging BUT nobody seems to be able to answer the simple question as to under what regulation they can do what they are doing... Despite the fact that we all think that football is different EFL is a legally trading company which files accounts etc. at Comapnies House and as such the directors should be subject to company law......
I am not sure how we deserved to go down before the run of three consecutive wins, given that we only dropped into the bottom three for the first time on New Year's Day. Wimbledon and MK Dons had both spent far longer in the relegation places than us.

The January strengthening was planned and was proving hugely successful, as it was in the previous three seasons under Mellon and Palios.

Player
Manager
John King
What is interesting is that all 24 League Two clubs originally voted to scrap relegation in their division and there was a possibility that vote could have won an overall majority and been extended to all divisions, as Crazylegs said above.

However, the BBC have reported that the no relegation proposal can't get a majority as the Championship clubs won't support it. They are afraid that the EPL might follow suit and their access to the Greed League would be blocked.

So once again, the Premier League proves toxic for football in the lower divisions.

Player
Manager
John King
All alternative proposals rejected and we have been relegated.

Self-serving, unprincipled t**s.

Reactions: Boz

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Integrity my ass...

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
A joke of a decision - but not a surprise and MP will be prepared, whether we take legal action or accept it and move on.

More importantly the club is financially ok.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
A joke of a decision - but not a surprise and MP will be prepared, whether we take legal action or accept it and move on.

More importantly the club is financially ok.
we will not challenge it, it's going to be interesting to see how we come out.of all this financially relegation will cost us a lot of.money

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yeah. He’ll take it on the chin like he did with relegation to the NL and we will return!

Charlton1975

Player
Jason Koumas
I wonder how many players will we lose on the back of relegation. Such a shame as MM was building a decent squad that, with a couple more additions would have kept us comfortably in League 1 next season (in my opinion).

Manny will go and I imagine there will be a number of League 1 clubs that will have an eye on CBT and Morris, even Ferrier. Our OAP midfield will be released you would imagine, and with the loan players returning to their clubs it doesnt leave us with much for next season.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I wonder how many players will we lose on the back of relegation. Such a shame as MM was building a decent squad that, with a couple more additions would have kept us comfortably in League 1 next season (in my opinion).

Manny will go and I imagine there will be a number of League 1 clubs that will have an eye on CBT and Morris, even Ferrier. Our OAP midfield will be released you would imagine, and with the loan players returning to their clubs it doesnt leave us with much for next season.
it will all come down to what we can afford, the 4 you quote are all under contract so it will require fees to sign any of them.

Player
Manager
John King
We will lose players like Woodyard and probably Vaughan, but Morris, McCullough, Jennings, Banks and co. will be decent in League Two. A lot will happen between now and football resuming however.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
We were building a decent squad and were certainly on the up. With our sound finances, we could certainly have solidified our position next season.

I would hope we can keep at least the players under contract, but loyalty is rare nowadays. It will be money rather than playing level that will talk. I would expect us to be financially competitive in League Two next season. Even without those out of contract and the loanees, we will be able to attract some good players, although they will need time to gel.

My main worry is if Micky Mellon gets an offer he can't refuse.

Player
aldo
i hope we build a good team and batter the shits in LG 1 f%$k all of them whole lot of em can go and fkn swing one . and yes I'm hacked off

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
We will lose players like Woodyard and probably Vaughan, but Morris, McCullough, Jennings, Banks and co. will be decent in League Two. A lot will happen between now and football resuming however.
I think McCullough and banks are.like to stay but I'm not too sure Jennings will as I think he may fancy moving on.

Some.difficult decisions ahead for.all concerned at the club after a grim day.

Hopefully.Mark Nicola and micky can now look into what can be done to get a squad.together.for next season whoever that may start and we get back up, the fans now if they can need to back the club.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Disgusted and disgusting..... time for a beer to drown my sorrows.
Interestingly coinicidentally the French courts today announced that they have annulled the relegations from Ligue 1 in France...

frenchrover

Player
aldo
Meanwhile...across the Channel.....
PARIS, June 9 (Reuters) - Amiens and Toulouse were given a lifeline on Tuesday when France’s top administrative court suspended their relegation from the Ligue 1 soccer championship, although it upheld the curtailment of the season amid the COVID-19 crisis.

The LFP ended the Ligue 1 and Ligue 2 seasons in April with 10 games remaining after the government said no professional sport would be allowed to return before September.

That meant seventh-placed Olympique Lyonnais, a point off the Europa League qualifying spot, missed out on European football through the standings. It also meant Amiens and Toulouse, who were adrift at the bottom, were relegated.

All three clubs appealed the decision to end the season.

“The judge validates the terms defined by the league, in particular for the classification of the Ligue 1 championship,” the State Council said in a statement on Tuesday.

“The judge in summary proceedings suspends relegation to Ligue 2 of Amiens and Toulouse,” it added.

Given that Lorient and Lens have been promoted from Ligue 2, the State Council also ordered the LFP to review its championship format for next season. That could ultimately lead to a 22-team league for the 2020-21 campaign.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
No surprise about the decision, sadly self-interest winning out. Despite events across the channel, I cannot see anything similar happening here.

It is very hard to see how things will pan out next season. When will that start and will games initially be behind closed doors and then with significant crowd restrictions, which may have a marked impact upon finance and who knows how Rovers will fare if playing without the backing of the SWA.

I think Davies, Ridehalgh, Monthe, Ray, Nelson, Morris, Blackett-Taylor, Payne and Ferrier are still under contract for next season. It doesn't sound like there will be as much money around for most clubs, so expect even the out of favour to stay put. No idea about those out of contract, it seems that a lot of players across the board won't get new deals and drop out of the game, while those with new contracts will probably be taking pay-cuts.