• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Stags v Rovers

Match result

• Mansfield

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Draw

• Tranmere

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Stags v Rovers
Posted by Ian
One Call Stadium
Saturday, October 30, 2021 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, October 30, 2021 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
aldo
if I was Maynard I would be off now if mani gets the not over him would be more effective having Morris up top wrong team today something needs to change we are going to struggle we have played ok against most of the top teams, but have lost to two of the worst teams in the LG and another in the cup, I am not going to rant but it is nearly 30 games since we scored 3 goals in a LG game, the middle of the park is too old and slow i am not going to say anything else now

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Agree with Ian that Maynard and Nevitt haven’t had anywhere near enough time to play together. Also agree that Watson is a decent player - Northampton’s player of the year last season in league one. We’ve just not had a system to get the best out of him.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Micky frank in his assessment of our failings today.

On the Nevitt-Maynard combo being our best option up from, in the early games they played together there were signs of potential for a future pairing. However v Northampton, they didn't appear to link up at all.
The Northampton game was a collectively woeful performance, so unfair to judge them on that.

Player
aldo
the last two games have been woeful, with no creativity no flare and a very big lack of goals, says it all when we have a 40-year-old who is our top scorer, and we have a guy who has scored 15 in 50 games if you put his sub on too 109 games 15 goals says it all my mum could score more than him

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The Northampton game was a collectively woeful performance, so unfair to judge them on that.
True, but Maynard barely touched the ball in that game, though like Watson brought on when the game had effectively gone. He’s never given the impression of wanting to be with us, from the joining interview onwards. There were signs of a partnership developing with Nevitt in the early games, so suppose worth another go. Think I’d prefer trying Watson as a no 10 given his goal scoring last season.

drwhoman

What can you say that is new? The same number of goals scored as the bottom four teams - eleven. Ollie Banks alone has seven for Barrow. We can criticise the defence for the goals being conceded but they are keeping us afloat. A shame that MM left at all as a whole season was lost in identifying top targets for 21-22. We have been left with a dogs breakfast of a strike force non of of whom can be relied upon whatever the playing system used. It may be grasping at straws but you can only hope that some miraculous transformation can be engineered in the January transfer window oor else it is going to be a long long season. I know that my comments are probably a rehash of what others have said but it is all very frustrating!

Player
ian goodison
what's scary is that no matter what league we find ourselves in next season the squad overall will be massive under micky we rely on too many players effectively at the ends of their careers, he doesn't appear to trust bringing youth forward assuming we have any one to come through,

Player
Manager
John King
True, but Maynard barely touched the ball in that game, though like Watson brought on when the game had effectively gone. He’s never given the impression of wanting to be with us, from the joining interview onwards. There were signs of a partnership developing with Nevitt in the early games, so suppose worth another go. Think I’d prefer trying Watson as a no 10 given his goal scoring last season.
All we did was punt long balls vaguely in the direction of Maynard, which is why he never touched the ball. However grumpy he looks in interviews, he is more likely to score a goal than any of the other forwards. He is a natural goalscorer who has never been renowned for his workrate. Nevitt provides the workrate.

Watson scored eight goals in total least season. Foley is already on course to match that total, but the odd gaol from midfield is not the issue. We need more from the forward line.

Last edited:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes, I think he calls himself a 'fox in the box'. Not sure why all the negativity for Maynard though @Boz ?

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Just watched the goals back and the penalty. Shocking defending for all 3.

Player
Manager
John King
What can you say that is new? The same number of goals scored as the bottom four teams - eleven. Ollie Banks alone has seven for Barrow. We can criticise the defence for the goals being conceded but they are keeping us afloat. A shame that MM left at all as a whole season was lost in identifying top targets for 21-22. We have been left with a dogs breakfast of a strike force non of of whom can be relied upon whatever the playing system used. It may be grasping at straws but you can only hope that some miraculous transformation can be engineered in the January transfer window oor else it is going to be a long long season. I know that my comments are probably a rehash of what others have said but it is all very frustrating!
It was not MM's departure that led to poor recruitment in the centre forward position. It is the whole recruitment process, from the top of the club down, that has left us strong in some areas of the pitch and incredibly weak in another.

Other clubs with similar resources to us, such as Port Vale and Orient, have recruited far better strikers without spending a fortune.

Charlton1975

Player
Jason Koumas
Just checked something, the 7 oldest starting lines ups in league 2 this season have all been from Tranmere. My big concern at the start of the season was that we have so many ageing players, and that will then dictate that we play in a very slow and conservative manner.

We need some young and exciting legs, bar Hawkes, we just dont have anything going forward, and that is probably why our top scorer is a centre back.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
It was not MM's departure that led to poor recruitment in the centre forward position. It is the whole recruitment process, from the top of the club down, that has left us strong in some areas of the pitch and incredibly weak in another.

Other clubs with similar resources to us, such as Port Vale and Orient, have recruited far better strikers without spending a fortune.
Been saying this since summer.
Also better players going to non league clubs rather than us.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy

Blink and you might miss the Tranmere highlights..

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I think the defence and midfield are strong, but there are huge shortcomings in the centre forward position. None of the five forwards are good enough, for differing reasons.

All we did was punt long balls vaguely in the direction of Maynard, which is why he never touched the ball. However grumpy he looks in interviews, he is more likely to score a goal than any of the other forwards. He is a natural goalscorer who has never been renowned for his workrate. Nevitt provides the workrate.

Watson scored eight goals in total least season. Foley is already on course to match that total, but the odd gaol from midfield is not the issue. We need more from the forward line.

Yes, I think he calls himself a 'fox in the box'. Not sure why all the negativity for Maynard though @Boz ?
RLC, your first quote suggests that you're not totally convinced by the Maynard option either?

In fact Maynard scored less goals than Ryan Watson last season, though that can be partially attributed to an inability to force his way into Mansfield and Newport's team as he only played roughly half a season's worth of games. While I agree Nicky was given little to feed off in the Northampton game, but he looked dis-interested and made minimal effort to get involved.

For the same reason that I would like to see Walker involved until Hawkes is fit again, despite my reservations I would go along with trying the Nevitt-Maynard combo to see if it can deliver the goals that our current 1 up top is failing to. However it will depend on how good Maynard is in attacking the decent balls put into the box as Nevitt's work is mainly done further back and his anticipation skills are still a work in progress.

Player
Manager
John King
I think Maynard is the best of a bad bunch. He is the only striker with any goalscoring pedigree.

He has been far more prolific than Ryan Watson in the last decade.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I think Maynard is the best of a bad bunch. He is the only striker with any goalscoring pedigree.

He has been far more prolific than Ryan Watson in the last decade.
As you'd surely expect from a fox-in-the-box striker as opposed to an attacking midfielder?

I'm hoping Ryan Watson won't prove to be a one season wonder as in terms of goals scored although he had a reasonable tally at MK franchise before joining the Cobblers. Too early to call that one.

ADD

Player
Norwood
As you'd surely expect from a fox-in-the-box striker as opposed to an attacking midfielder?

I'm hoping Ryan Watson won't prove to be a one season wonder as in terms of goals scored although he had a reasonable tally at MK franchise before joining the Cobblers. Too early to call that one.
There's a pretty good chance he will be a one season wonder when he doesn't play.....

Player
Manager
John King
There's a pretty good chance he will be a one season wonder when he doesn't play.....
He was a regular in the side in the opening weeks of the season and was very poor. There is an argument for freshening things up now, but Foley deservedly took his place.