• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Stags v Rovers

Match result

• Mansfield

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Draw

• Tranmere

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Stags v Rovers
Posted by Ian
One Call Stadium
Saturday, October 30, 2021 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, October 30, 2021 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Next up we have a trip to Field Mill to take on a Mansfield side who perhaps surprisingly sit second from bottom in the table. Manager Nigel Clough must surely be running out of games to turn things around.
On paper they have good attacking options in ex rovers loanee Danny Johnson plus ex Pompey target man Ollie Hawkins. Ex premier league experience too in James perch and Stephen Quinn and other decent names at this level including Jordan Bowery and Rhys Oates, who I always liked when at Hartlepool. They must have a decent wage bill and whilst a win for us perhaps wouldn’t be a total shock, the only team below them are Scunthorpe who beat us earlier this season, albeit we are much improved since then.

As for selection, despite last weeks result and the Cheshire cup win I don’t expect any wholesale changes. In fact assuming hawkes still isn’t fit an unchanged line up wouldn’t be a shock knowing what Micky is like. Hopefully a full weeks training for the majority of the recent starters will freshen them up a bit. However the likes of Feeney and Nevitt must be feeling the pressure to retain a starting berth against the hosts who haven’t won in 14 games.
Prediction: draw.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Hawkes is likely to be out a couple of more weeks yet, I think we will be unchanged and will get back to winning ways 2 1.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Mansfield's struggles have puzzled me as thought they'd recruited well in the summer and Clough was a decent manager, though he's surprised me by throwing players under the bus in post-match interviews. They have had a dreadful run with injuries including Perch, ruled out for the rest of the season after a fractured skull and defenders needing to be played out of position. However Rovers' record at Field Mill is poor, while the Scunthorpe game illustrates how we're perfectly capable of ending the long winless run of a struggling team.

It wouldn't surprise me if Micky stuck with the same side, despite the dismal second half last weekend on the basis they've done well before and if tiredness was a factor they've had a whole week without playing to build up their strength again. At the other extreme, you could argue that almost the entire team could be changed, excepting the full-backs and were Rovers not a team of snails, there might even be a case for replacing Cogley with O'Connor, as Lee's defensive game is slightly stronger. I'm not suggesting for a moment that wholesale changes are a good idea, but wouldn't be averse to a freshening up exercise. I've written about Nevitt elsewhere and think he may benefit by either being taken out of the starting xi for a bit or being played as one of a front two. However, expecting neither to happen. Feeney was disappointing and didn't come close to filling the Hawkes sized gap in our team, so that needs re-assessing.

About 500 tickets sold already so a decent turnout from the SWA expected. Hope they don't go home disappointed.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I haven't said Cogley should be left out. Defensively there's not much to chose between him and O'Connor, but Josh is the better all-round player because of his pace and attacking ability.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Mansfield have been an enigma in recent seasons. They are heavily backed, with probably the second biggest budget in the division behind Salford, but have consistently underachieved since sacking David Flitcroft two years ago. Clough is one of the most experienced managers at this level, but his problems seem to extend beyond a long injury list. As a club, they are study in contrasts with other high spenders like Forest Green, who do at least seem to be make the right strategic decisions.

I don't think the system will be changed, and nor should it be after one poor display. I thought Feeney did ok last week, retaining the ball well, but he is never going to have the same impact as Hawkes. I can't really envisage any changes to the starting line up.

Prediction: a solid display from Rovers and three points.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I agree. No changes to the lineup. Hopefully we can put last weeks poor display behind us and go for it. 2-0 Rovers.

Charlton1975

Player
Jason Koumas
Hoping for a positive response to last weeks poor performance. Fingers crossed that we put on a positive performance and dont just play for a draw.

Optimistic 3-1 to Rovers!

Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
Let’s see if we’ve got bouncebackability. If we’re serious about any sort of promotion aspirations, we need a reaction after last week. It’s got 0-0 written all over it in my mind, but I’m hoping we show enough ambition to want and get the three points and there’s not a repeat of the Scunthorpe debacle against another lowly side. C’mon Rovers, let’s have a positive day and jump back into the play-off places.

Player
aldo
yea looking forward to this positive 2-0 and god I hope Nevitt gets them both we need goals from a FORWARD

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Big Mani comes in from the cold to replace Nevitt in the starting eleven. Otherwise unchanged

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
While I agree with resting Nevitt, to change only one player after last week’s below par showing feels like he’s being singled out a bit.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Wow, Mani the forgotten man returns. Never saw that coming.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
My guess is it’s partly based on mickeys system. With the lone striker he wants someone with a physical presence and neither Maynard or glatzel fit the bill. It is a surprise though when Mani hasn’t even been on the bench recently. Maynard may be injured but you wonder at his age does he want to be playing first team football and he hasn’t been able to get into a side who haven’t been great in front of goal.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
What was Doohan doing?! Didnt come out for the ball and no communication between defenders.