• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Sa£ford v Rovers

Match result

• Salford

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sa£ford v Rovers
Posted by Ian
Peninsula Stadium
Saturday, September 17, 2022 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, September 17, 2022 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Much needed win. Not been following that closely as in Scotland, but it sounds as that Rovers rode their luck a little yet had chances to win more comfortably. Hoping it’s a turning point.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
That was probably one of the most comfortable games I’ve seen this season. Salford were as flat as a pancake. That’s not taking anything away from Rovers who played very well, kept their shape and discipline and played a very good game.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
An excellent and much needed win, 3 points and a clean sheet with the added bonus of Morris returning

Reactions: Ian

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
A very much needed win against a toothless Salford side.

glad we went to four at the back and a fairly flat first half was lit up some good football. A one-two between Hughes and Cogley saw the latter pull the ball back and hawkes slotted home. Nevitt had earlier missed a good headed chance. Second half they had some half chances but so did we with Hemings hitting the bar from distance and just missing some decent crosses from the fullbacks. The hosts also hit the frame of the goal but looked like a side who could have played all night and not scored (sound familiar?)

some good performances. Turnbull and Simeu were excellent. Cogley good as ever. The front two worked hard but we need more goals from them. MOM for me was Bristow. The SWA were noisy and Rhys Hughes didn’t let himself down and played well.

Hopefully 5 at the back will now be ditched as we need a way to have Hawkes in the side, he’s now top scorer and with him and Morris in the team we have goal threats and creativity. We just need another striker to give competition to the front two

Last edited:
Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Well I never!
well done the lads!
much needed and a solid win!

overthewater

Player
chris malkin
Well I never!
well done the lads!
much needed and a solid win!
My first away game of the season and delighted and a bit surprised by the result, given some of the negativity since Tuesday. The way we kept our shape throughout was impressive though I think it helped that we were playing 4-4-2 and that they insisted in playing it out from the back. I know they hit the post but Doohan did not have a save to make and I was wondering how they were 4th in the league before kick off. Some good counter-attacking with the full backs looking as positive and willing to get forward as they were when it was 5-2-3. Great to see Morris back tho' I thought young Hughes looked very promising, Only down side is that for all the willing running he does Nevitt never looks like scoring

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Micky suggests post match it’ll be four at the back now as having given the back five a number of games it hasn’t given him what he wanted.

Tom Davies still a while off and not even running yet.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Interesting stats. Salford 75% possession and zero shots on target.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Micky suggests post match it’ll be four at the back now as having given the back five a number of games it hasn’t given him what he wanted.

Tom Davies still a while off and not even running yet.
He said wants to be flexible with the systems

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I thought we were excellent definsively today too. Anything Salford delivered into the box, we coped with very well. Doohan a virtual spectator all game. We had numerous chances to score a second with some excellent deliveries and good to see Hemmings getting on the end of them. We really should have come away with a greater scoreline.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I agree with most of the comments above.

I thought we were the better side from start to finish. the only mystery being how we only scored one today given the numerous chances we created. A victory by two or three goals would have better reflected the game.

I thought the discipline we showed out of possession was key to the victory today, helped by terrific performances by the two centre halves. In the first half Salford were slick in possession and moved the ball nicely but did not penetrate us at all, due to our workrate and the distances between the defence and midfield. We looked the more dangerous side, and Hughes and Nevitt both had good chances, in addition to the lovely move for the goal.

The second half continued in a similar vein, but we grew in confidence as the half progressed and looked increasingly threatening. They were some great attacking moves, with Hemmings hitting the bar and Hawkes almost scoring an absolute worldy, and we even looked dangerous from set plays, with Simeu forcing a brilliant save from their keeper after a great delivery from Bristow.

As Salford ran out of ideas they threw on Matt Smith and did finally cause us one or two problems, but we showed great togetherness and resilience to defend our lead in the final twenty minutes, qualities that have been sadly lacking in previous matches. The SWA played a big part in getting us over the line, and I think that togetherness within the squad, and between fans and players, stands us in good stead for the weeks ahead. The final whistle felt like a big moment in the season.

Individually, I thought Simeu and Turnbull were awesome and gave us the solidity at the back we have lacked in recent games. Hawkes was excellent and Bristow had a great second half. However, my man of the match was Rhys Hughes. A very impressive debut, composed and cultured on the ball throughout and playing a part in most of our best moves.

A great day capped by a superb meal on the curry mile. :)

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
well ive just got back from working in Cornwall sleep for an hour b4 i head to my real job, well played rovers i did say it would be 1-0 let us hope we Kick on from this now but the front two need to nuckle down and sxore goals

ADD

Player
Norwood
Thoroughly professional perfomance I felt having watched the full replay just now. Hughes excellent full debut whilst Simeu also excellent throughout with a great header very well saved - should score quite a few with his aerial ability. Turnbull alongside is a great combination. Surely 442 is here to stay - MM said after he simply wasn't getting what he wanted from 532 although he wants to remain flexible but this is surely the way he will go now. Doohan had nothing to do but finally seemed to be looking for a short ball to start a move going even if his execution wans't always great. Good to see! Hawkes was excellent and must start. He is a classy player at this level. Finally great to see Morris back - he looked rusty undertstandably but assuming he gets more minutes Tuesday should be looking good from next weekend.

Negatives very few although Nevitt has massive energy and runs about willingly I appreciate but just isn't looking like scoring and hardly touched the ball yesterday. Hemmings looks like he is constantly directing him on the pitch - by now he shouldn't need to be. I would have been tempted to have started with Burton yesterday but I appreciate why MM didn't given Tuesday's pizza game where surely MM will start Burton and see how he does.
Also Salford were poor - yes they had 75% posession but apart from hitting the post they were entirely toothless. Credit to our pressing but even so they will surely not play so poorly very often.

Much much improved and hopefully there will be no more talk that we can't compete due to finances as these players undoubtedly can compete and do well at this level as I have said from season start.

Player
Manager
John King
Much much improved and hopefully there will be no more talk that we can't compete due to finances as these players undoubtedly can compete and do well at this level as I have said from season start.
It remains to be seen whether the players can perform consistently over 46 games. Even if they do, the slow start to the season was clearly the consequence of bedding in so many young players.

One victory does not change the fundamentals any more than one defeat.

What yesterday's performance certainly did demonstrate is that Mellon can organise and motivate a team at this level, as some of us have repeated after every disappointing performance or result.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
The big question now after a good win is can they sustain it. I don’t think ability is in question really, it’s more the mental side of the game for the younger players. It will be nice if we can push on from this. We shall see..

Player
Manager
John King
Hartlepool and Colchester both sacked their managers today, out of interest.

It is that time of the season....