• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Sa£ford v Rovers

Match result

• Salford

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sa£ford v Rovers
Posted by Ian
Peninsula Stadium
Saturday, September 17, 2022 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, September 17, 2022 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
A development squad for this season and one challenging for promotion next year would be ok. However if we’re in say the bottom quarter of the table after the next 6 games then Palios may feel he needs to act if he thinks Micky is not getting the most out of what he has at his disposal.

Palios has set himself up for possible failure. Not only by changing the whole philosophy of the club and as Ian says, arguably taking us two steps back. But also by his goals goals goals comment and suggesting we’d have more entertainment.

drwhoman

Can he be blamed for moving to an almost certainly better paid and easier job babysitting Everton’s kids?
In a way, 'no' Boz but it is sad that he did not stay the course he was on, at least until he had some runs on the board that might have generated an even better job for him! As you say, smacks of a desire for the easy life! No doubt he assured MP of his ongoing commitment when he took the job 'five minutes' ago.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I don't think Mellon is going anywhere.

The only circumstance I can imagine where he would be sacked, is if we are well into the season and relegation to the National League seems a probability. For all of our current difficulties, I don't think that is going to happen.

Mark knows from bitter experience the danger of changing manager midway through the season with an inexperienced squad, and little prospect of strengthening it. Mellon is better qualified to manage us than any of the no-marks that would be his likely replacement. Palios won't give in to the internet whingers, however hard they whinge, because the medium and long term future of the club will be paramount in his mind.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
A development squad for this season and one challenging for promotion next year would be ok. However if we’re in say the bottom quarter of the table after the next 6 games then Palios may feel he needs to act if he thinks Micky is not getting the most out of what he has at his disposal.

Palios has set himself up for possible failure. Not only by changing the whole philosophy of the club and as Ian says, arguably taking us two steps back. But also by his goals goals goals comment and suggesting we’d have more entertainment.
The problem will be in all probability season ticket sales will go down so unless we sell sumbody for a decent fee or we get external investment then the budget is likely to be cut again

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
MP made it quite clear to MM the contraints for the season before a ball was kicked so I really don't think there is any problem between the two. Supporters are allowed to show frustration however. We all want the best for the club no matter the situation and that is football. As an owner/manager you have to be prepared for it, it comes with the job.

Going back to @Sparky comment above, I don't think Micky did himself any favours with the risky talk. He set himself up for a fall early on. He was probably just a little frustrated himself as it was completely out of character.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I don't think Mellon is going anywhere.

The only circumstance I can imagine where he would be sacked, is if we are well into the season and relegation to the National League seems a probability. For all of our current difficulties, I don't think that is going to happen.

Mark knows from bitter experience the danger of changing manager midway through the season with an inexperienced squad, and little prospect of strengthening it. Mellon is better qualified to manage us than any of the no-marks that would be his likely replacement. Palios won't give in to the internet whingers, however hard they whinge, because the medium and long term future of the club will be paramount in his mind.
Yes I agree. Micky certainly wouldn’t resign unless he had a massive falling out but as he said, he knew what he was walking into with Palios offered him the job and that it would be a season of transition.

Micky has a proven record at this level but never perhaps with a squad of this nature, mainly set up for 5-3-2. He has his work cut out keeping the SWA happy this season

In a way, 'no' Boz but it is sad that he did not stay the course he was on, at least until he had some runs on the board that might have generated an even better job for him! As you say, smacks of a desire for the easy life! No doubt he assured MP of his ongoing commitment when he took the job 'five minutes' ago.
It is a pity he moved on, and I’m curious to see if Palios retains the Sporting Director role and replaces him (and if not, why not). But I can’t believe someone with Vaughan’s apparent ambition is looking for an easy life. Or that Everton would recruit anyone looking for an easy life. I think he took the role to get his foot in the door and senses good opportunities to work his way up within the club.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I have now listened to the Micky pre-match interview. Not as negative as comments elsewhere had led me to believe. Think he does labour the point about relative finances a bit; both Salford and Bradford were wealthier than Rovers last season, yet we managed to take four points off both.

I’m a little unclear about the time-line for the development project and change of approach. Micky re-joined us at the start of last season. Was he told at that point about the ‘ grow your own’ approach to developing players, even though we didn’t appear to be adopting it last season with the signing of experienced players like Davies, Foley, Watson? Vaughan hadn’t been appointed sporting director then. It seemed that the change of direction took place at the end of last season, if it always was the intention to go down that route, why not start in 2021-2 season?

Even the current squad is not a team of rookies. The nucleus of the side starting v Bradford had a fair number of professional competitive games under their belts. Not aware of any stats which show how teams fare based on experience rather than age. There is obviously a correlation in that younger players won’t have as many games played, but I don’t think they will prove identical. There is also the question of experienced players not doing as well as expected and the recruitment failing to identify and bring on on field leaders.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
As much as I hope we win I can't see it, really hope I'm wrong but think we will lose 2 0

Player
Manager
John King
I have now listened to the Micky pre-match interview. Not as negative as comments elsewhere had led me to believe. Think he does labour the point about relative finances a bit; both Salford and Bradford were wealthier than Rovers last season, yet we managed to take four points off both.

I’m a little unclear about the time-line for the development project and change of approach. Micky re-joined us at the start of last season. Was he told at that point about the ‘ grow your own’ approach to developing players, even though we didn’t appear to be adopting it last season with the signing of experienced players like Davies, Foley, Watson? Vaughan hadn’t been appointed sporting director then. It seemed that the change of direction took place at the end of last season, if it always was the intention to go down that route, why not start in 2021-2 season?

Even the current squad is not a team of rookies. The nucleus of the side starting v Bradford had a fair number of professional competitive games under their belts. Not aware of any stats which show how teams fare based on experience rather than age. There is obviously a correlation in that younger players won’t have as many games played, but I don’t think they will prove identical. There is also the question of experienced players not doing as well as expected and the recruitment failing to identify and bring on on field leaders.
As I posted previously, only four players from the fourteen we used on Tuesday had more than one season of experience. That is clearly going to have an impact on our ability to manage games. I think you know that really.

There is individual inconsistency in certain players - Bristow and MaClear bring obvious examples - and in the team as a whole.

The youth development policy probably took several months to establish, which is why it did not happen instantly in the summer of 2021. Our budget was probably closer to Bradford's last season.

Vaughan was appointed to the newly-created role of Sporting Director in February. I doubt Micky believed he’d be working with (or under?) a Sporting Director when he came back to us the previous summer.

If that new role was to now be made redundant it‘d raise questions about the thinking behind creating it in the first place, and/or would imply that it’s been deemed a failure.

Player
Manager
John King
Vaughan was appointed to the newly-created role of Sporting Director in February. I doubt Micky believed he’d be working with (or under?) a Sporting Director when he came back to us the previous summer.

If that new role was to now be made redundant it‘d raise questions about the thinking behind creating it in the first place, and/or would imply that it’s been deemed a failure.
I think the appointment of a sporting director and the youth development strategy must have been discussed when Micky returned in the summer of 2021. He said it was repeatedly in his interview yesterday and I don't see why he would lie about that.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I don’t think it really mattered who was in charge of recruitment. I can’t believe Vaughan had complete reign over this. The big failing is piling everything into youth and inexperience and the only reason i can think why was the budget. It’s completely unbalanced.

I think the appointment of a sporting director and the youth development strategy must have been discussed when Micky returned in the summer of 2021. He said it was repeatedly in his interview yesterday and I don't see why he would lie about that.
For unity, supportive of his boss, as the last thing the club needs right now is signs of division at the top. That’s just conjecture, but the acid test will be whether Palios recruits a new Sporting Director or now scraps the role.

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
if we get anything out of today I will be happy but Its an away game and we are shit away but it has to change some time so I am going for a last min 1-0 winner of super sub Burton

Reactions: Ian
Player
Manager
John King
For unity, supportive of his boss, as the last thing the club needs right now is signs of division at the top. That’s just conjecture, but the acid test will be whether Palios recruits a new Sporting Director or now scraps the role.
Perhaps, although Palios might struggle to find somebody suitable for the role, even if he wants to make an appointment,

I don’t think it really mattered who was in charge of recruitment. I can’t believe Vaughan had complete reign over this. The big failing is piling everything into youth and inexperience and the only reason i can think why was the budget. It’s completely unbalanced.
The squad is unbalanced although, as both owner and manager said from the outset, it‘ll take time for the rookies to make their mark so, for me, it’s too early to make a proper judgment on that. Budget will always be a constraint, and I guess it might have been cut, but I don’t think we’d have attracted the likes of Turnbull, Morris and Hemmings on long contracts if it was being squeezed too much.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
As I posted previously, only four players from the fourteen we used on Tuesday had more than one season of experience. That is clearly going to have an impact on our ability to manage games. I think you know that really.

There is individual inconsistency in certain players - Bristow and MaClear bring obvious examples - and in the team as a whole.

The youth development policy probably took several months to establish, which is why it did not happen instantly in the summer of 2021. Our budget was probably closer to Bradford's last season.
Inexperience is subjective though. Personally I would not class players who’ve played at least a season at this level as inexperienced, so Doohan, O’Connor and JDC falling into that category. In terms of relative experience, clearly Bradford had more than us, but there don’t appear to be the stats available regarding experience and results rather than age.

I agree about inconsistency with the players named, but this does not seem to be confined to the inexperienced ones. Byrne Hemmings and Turnbull have been fairly patchy so far.

Player
Manager
John King
They are good players, but I would still class Cogley and O'Connor as inexperienced. If experience did not matter then clubs would pack their starting elevens with players in the sixteen to twenty one age range, which they clearly don't, even at the elite level.

Inexperience is not something that can be measured tangibly, but the way our matches have developed this season - heads going down after a goal is conceded, switching off in periods of the game when we are on top - suggests to me that inexperience is a factor in our poor form.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
The two goals Cook scored were a classic example of what experience gets you. Our defenders switched off and weren't doing their jobs and the experienced Cook got inbetween them to head home. It cannot be underrated.