• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v the Colchester

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
My point about Glatzel was not in relation to the formation, but in any case I don't think he is suited to a front two. He is not a conventional number nine.

He has played in a front three or the number ten position, which should suit him, but his individual displays have not been good enough.

Reactions: Ian

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Harrogate have made a very good start tonthe season considering they have a small squad, only 5 subs today. You have to think a small squad will come back and haunt them at some stage with injuries

drwhoman

My point about Glatzel was not in relation to the formation, but in any case I don't think he is suited to a front two. He is not a conventional number nine.

He has played in a front three or the number ten position, which should suit him, but his individual displays have not been good enough.
I agree. This is a first loan for him and the difference between under 23 and senior football is evident when you see some of the games in the Pizza Cup. I saw a few minutes of Bolton v Liverpool under 21s and other than Nat Phillips, an overage player, they were physically dominated by an older and more experienced Bolton team. He has to toughen up if he is to realise his potential. There are many like him and only the rare ones succeed at the top level.

Player
Manager
John King
Harrogate have made a very good start tonthe season considering they have a small squad, only 5 subs today. You have to think a small squad will come back and haunt them at some stage with injuries
Watching the highlights of their game today, Jack Diamond was outstanding, a winger we were linked with in the summer. They also have two regular goalscorers in Armstrong and Muldoon. If those three stay fit, they might maintain their challenge.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Watching the highlights of their game today, Jack Diamond was outstanding, a winger we were linked with in the summer. They also have two regular goalscorers in Armstrong and Muldoon. If those three stay fit, they might maintain their challenge.
Yes it is a pretty decent forward line up, we will have to be at our best to get anything out of the game

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Is their lack of subs a reflection of the home-grown rule? Although when Murphy was injured, we still put out a full bench. Maybe Nevitt not having a professional deal before counts as home-grown?

I’m surprised Harrogate are doing so well, though they have a strong core.

Player
Manager
John King
Chris Beech sacked by Carlisle. Makes next week a bit more interesting.....

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Typical. Will be interesting if they get someone before Saturday. Wonder if Keith Hill fancies the job….
Nah! It's far too cold even though I'm from Bolton.

A mate of mine who is a Carlisle fan, has been telling me that they have been playing some awful stuff, and look like relegation fodder. The usual excuses, no cash, covid, no fans, debts, and not enough income from other ventures.
Can't believe that can you?

drwhoman

Nah! It's far too cold even though I'm from Bolton.

A mate of mine who is a Carlisle fan, has been telling me that they have been playing some awful stuff, and look like relegation fodder. The usual excuses, no cash, covid, no fans, debts, and not enough income from other ventures.
Can't believe that can you?
A shame. Did they not spend some time in the NL before?

overthewater

Player
chris malkin
They were down there in the early 2000s. I think half of the current league 2 have been down there at some point, with Mansfield and Carlisle's form this season showing that just because you've already been down there, it doesn't mean you can't go back.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
We are in a good place at the moment, having got some consistency at last. Has anyone else noticed that we are currently unbeaten against all our promotion rivals? We have drawn away with three of the teams above us and beaten the other two teams we have played who are currently in the top half of the table. Conversely, all the teams we have lost to are now in the bottom half of the league. Very strange, but better to drop points against the lower teams than the likes of FGR and Crawley.

drwhoman

They were down there in the early 2000s. I think half of the current league 2 have been down there at some point, with Mansfield and Carlisle's form this season showing that just because you've already been down there, it doesn't mean you can't go back.
Grimsby are a classic case although they are top of the NL at present.

drwhoman

We are in a good place at the moment, having got some consistency at last. Has anyone else noticed that we are currently unbeaten against all our promotion rivals? We have drawn away with three of the teams above us and beaten the other two teams we have played who are currently in the top half of the table. Conversely, all the teams we have lost to are now in the bottom half of the league. Very strange, but better to drop points against the lower teams than the likes of FGR and Crawley.
Agree BBTC. Scunthorpe was the obvious one but this was early in the piece, before what is a new team settled down and before we signed the likes of Hawkes and others who have improved the team. I would like to think that the result would have been different if we had played them last Saturday! As you say, consistency has to be the key if we are to be promoted, ideally automatically.