• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers old boys

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Akins was average when he was here, not helped by the playing style under Parry, but he developed into a very good player capable of performing at Championship level when he was at Burton. He ripped us apart when we played Burton in League One a couple of years ago.

Reactions: Ian

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Akins has gone on to have a very good career, think we got £100k for him which was decent as he wasn't upto much when he was here

Player
ian goodison
my memory must be playing tricks, wasn,t he in the team the same time as Cassidy under Ronnie moore when but for injuries we should have won the league, my mistake if wrong

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think so yes. I think he left a few months into Ronnies last spell.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Akins did play with Cassidy for a few months but left in the summer of 2012, before the season when we topped League One until January.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I quite liked Akins, he was quite raw but had a bit of pace and unpredictable when he played for Rovers. I'd never have thought he'd have such a decent career with Burton though.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
I quite liked Akins, he was quite raw but had a bit of pace and unpredictable when he played for Rovers. I'd never have thought he'd have such a decent career with Burton though.
I'd echo that. I think he has certainly made the most of his abilities and has probably made a decent living out of the game. A relative success story which is good to see.

Reactions: Boz
Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
John doesn't get much credence for the work he did with our keepers, first team and youth and academy!
it was something he was proud of! He was directly involved in having nine or so keepers make pro!
one of which was Shamal George. Who we had on loan. Now with Colchester. We got a few bob for Shamal, when he went to the Reds as a youngster.
For some reason, John has survived, way before Klopp!
So for him to praise someone who was in place, when he became manager, is huge!

One of the reasons why a proper academy can produce good quality pros from a young age that have the potential and know the ethics of the club and because we have always been a selling club, a good source of income.
if all clubs did what we do, where would we get our British youngsters from?

The legacy that Warwick Rimmer to Andy Parkinson, including the likes of John Achterberg, has ended and the likelihood of players such as Max Power, since a youngster, would not have the development that he achieved through our school of excellence and our youth system.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Pleased that Ollie banks gets a new 2 and a half year deal at barrow. He’s their top scorer with 10 goals in all competitions and captain. Made up he’s done so well there. He even managed to play well and score v Oldham (he was always poor for us against them!)

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Connor Jennings starts his second successive game for Dave Challinors Stockport and they go top of the national league after Harvey gilmours halifax lose.
Keith hills Scunthorpe lose again and are now 6 points from safety.
Mark Ellis keeps a clean sheet on his Solihull debut alongside another ex rover Lois Maynard.