• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers old boys

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Paul Mullin is sent off after four minutes (three match ban incoming), and Wrexham fail to beat Maidenhead at home.

That cheered me up a bit.
Won’t it be longer, he’s already served one ban this season? Take it that it’s Wrexham’s misfortune rather than Mullin’s that cheered you up; he didn’t seem that bad an individual while at Rovers.
9 straight wins and top of the table starting to look like at least 1 money bags team coming up.
Sadly yes. I would still rather it was Halifax and Notts County coming up, moneybags teams in our league and geographical area are bad news.

drwhoman

I see Lloyd scored for Gillingham who lost 7-2 at home with Cameron Brannigan scoring four pens for Oxford. Is that some sort of record?!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Won’t it be longer, he’s already served one ban this season? Take it that it’s Wrexham’s misfortune rather than Mullin’s that cheered you up; he didn’t seem that bad an individual while at Rovers.
Yes, largely Wrexham's. Although I don't understand the love-in with players that fail to deliver here and perform for other clubs (Mullin, Stockton).

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I see Lloyd scored for Gillingham who lost 7-2 at home with Cameron Brannigan scoring four pens for Oxford. Is that some sort of record?!
Not sure if it is a record or not but I can't remember that many penalties for one team.in one game

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Paul Lewis gets the winner for promotion rivals Northampton.

drwhoman

Not sure if it is a record or not but I can't remember that many penalties for one team.in one game
There have been a few threes but four? Apparently, Brannigan does not normally take the pens and had not scored one in senior football before! The Gillingham Manager declared their defending ridiculous! (LOL!).

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Yes, largely Wrexham's. Although I don't understand the love-in with players that fail to deliver here and perform for other clubs (Mullin, Stockton).
Don't understand the reasoning of if they don't play for us, they are crap!
Both players are at or near their peak of performance not potential, and also, were given very few opportunities to play regularly, because of others who were in form. Also, because as a club, we couldn't persuade them to stay, for many reasons including contracts!

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
S
Both players are at or near their peak of performance not potential, and also, were given very few opportunities to play regularly, because of others who were in form. Also, because as a club, we couldn't persuade them to stay, for many reasons including contracts!
Stockton was given plenty of chances but for 1 spell in the National League he was poor. He was no better at Hearts Carlisle or Wrexham but has hit it off at Morecambe.
Mullin was OK but cudnt strike up a partnership with Norwood. He had an amazing season with Cambridge and doing well for Wrexham

Player
Manager
John King
Where did I say they were crap ?

I said they did not perform effectively here, at least not consistently. I would rather praise players that make a major contribution to the club.

Stockton was given plenty of opportunities, as was Mullin in the League One season, but he was not as effective at that level as Vaughan.

Last edited:

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Wrexham rumoured to be paying 500k for O'Connor from Burton

Player
Manager
John King
Wrexham rumoured to be paying 500k for O'Connor from Burton
That level of spending surely has to come back to haunt them ? They are handing out three year contracts to players in their thirties and their wage bill must be insane for that level.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
That level of spending surely has to come back to haunt them ? They are handing out three year contracts to players in their thirties and their wage bill must be insane for that level.
Will have paid around 1.25m in fees alone absolute madness and will end in tears.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Agree with the general sentiment about Wrexham. While Stockport are not throwing money around so much in terms of transfer fees their wage bill must be pretty high, they've certainly got players in who we couldn't afford to recruit.

The debate about old boys is interesting. Personally, I'm always interested how they get on after leaving us, some like Akins who I mentioned earlier in the thread surprised me. Likewise Stockton. Mullin's harder to call. While I could get the financial and geographical attraction of the move to Wrexham, it would have been fascinating to see how he'd fare in L1 second time round on the back of a good season and with a manager in Mark Bonner who clearly believed in him.

Player
Manager
John King
Agree with the general sentiment about Wrexham. While Stockport are not throwing money around so much in terms of transfer fees their wage bill must be pretty high, they've certainly got players in who we couldn't afford to recruit.

The debate about old boys is interesting. Personally, I'm always interested how they get on after leaving us, some like Akins who I mentioned earlier in the thread surprised me. Likewise Stockton. Mullin's harder to call. While I could get the financial and geographical attraction of the move to Wrexham, it would have been fascinating to see how he'd fare in L1 second time round on the back of a good season and with a manager in Mark Bonner who clearly believed in him.
I am also interested in how former players perform. For example, I am pleased to see Kane Wilson going from strength to strength, and I quite like Akins.

I just don't think Mullin and Stockton contributed much of note when they were here, save for Mullin's goals against Watford, so I am not as sympathetic towards them.

Last edited:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Currently watching Portsmouth v Charlton. Forgot how fast Blackett-Taylor was!