• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers old boys

Salfordwhite

Player
Michael Ricketts
If Mellon gets Oldham into the play offs first time round it will be the first season in years, perhaps decades, that they have progressed rather than regressed.

I am not sure spreading rumours about Norwood is fair or helpful when there may be no substance behind them.

Not a rumour it is fact, very sad to see having watched him as a Rovers legend and frankly he looked out of control.. I didn`t post every detail I witnessed.

Barnsley wanted to keep him, but Oldham offered him either more money or a longer contract.
Barnsley chose to sell him. Having exercised their option to extend his contract for another year, they then received a bid from Oldham and chose to accept it.

Norwood hadn’t been angling for a move. But he was left with a choice of seeing out a one year deal at a club that wanted to sell him and then becoming a free agent this summer at the age of nearly 34, or dropping down a couple of levels for the security of a two year deal plus option for a third.

If Mellon gets Oldham into the play offs first time round it will be the first season in years, perhaps decades, that they have progressed rather than regressed.
Any such progression after years of regression is much more a reflection of the stark contrast between past and present ownership, than the manager.

With the resources at his disposal, reaching the playoffs is probably the minimum Mellon should be achieving this season. Very similar, in several respects, to the situation and expectation when he came to us after Brabin.

If I had to make a prediction, I reckon the similarity with us will continue in that he’ll need another season before he gets them promoted.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
With the resources at his disposal, reaching the playoffs is probably the minimum Mellon should be achieving this season. Very similar, in several respects, to the situation and expectation when he came to us after Brabin.
I disagree.

Oldham were third from bottom when Unsworth was sacked. I don't recall us ever being in such a perilous position under Brabin, albeit Oldham's position improved slightly under their caretaker manager.

I think the squad Mellon inherited from Brabin was better than the one he has now at Oldham. He had a reasonably solid inheritance from Brabin, who had stabilised us, whereas Oldham were still in a mess under Unsworth despite additional spending.

See how many Oldham fans agree with you if they don’t make the playoffs this season. Although it’d be Rothwell’s opinion that matters.

Nine games into a season is nothing, other than confirming that Unsworth was no more convincing than he had been in getting them to a top half finish the season before. Besides, they’d climbed back up to 12th by the time Mellon took over.

It’s steady management - but nothing more than that - for Mellon to then take them to the brink of the playoff positions after six months, especially in that league and especially with the quality they’ve been able to add.

The jury’s still out on Mellon, despite my somewhat generous prediction that he’ll get them up by the end of next season.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
They have added players like Dallas in January, but the fundamentals were not as strong when Mellon took over as they were at Prenton Park when he arrived. It is not just about individual players, it is about culture, organisation, discipline etc. Brabin had arrested the slide but Oldham continued to go backwards under Unsworth.

We were in better shape in autumn 2016 and the two situations are not directly comparable.

What I said was the situation and expectation on Mellon when Oldham appointed him was very similar, in several respects, to that when we appointed him.

An established but broken EFL club relegated to into non league finally gets a new owner who brings in a manager and gives him the resources to steady the ship and turn it around. Season 1, after a brief flirtation with the playoffs, finishes top half. Steadies the ship to some - including the respective owners of the two clubs - or “continues to go backwards” to others...but let’s not split hairs. Season 2, manager gets a few weeks but still doesn’t convince, gets the boot. Underperforming with what he has at his disposal. Mellon arrives October. Brief to get promotion - season 1 may be optimistic, but season 2 probably essential.

Just some of the respects which I regard as very similar. And pretty significant similarities too, at least insofar as they help define the expectation, which, this season for Oldham, is playoffs at least.

As for “culture, organisation, discipline etc”, of course there’ll be some differences between what Mellon inherited from Brabin and what he inherited at Oldham. I’m not sure Oldham needed a massive overhaul in that regard when Mellon came in, but nor am I convinced about how well he‘s sorting whatever needed sorting. Might need the summer to complete that.

Either way, if they do meet expectation and make the playoffs this season, I doubt even Mellon’s agent will be blowing his trumpet too loudly to garner credit for such relatively marginal progression in year 2 of the Rothwell era.

Last edited:
Joe Maguire has signed for Bury!

Nat Knight-Percival has moved from Kidderminster to VNL North champions-elect Tamworth on loan for the rest of the season.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
A few vultures circling above Micky after a poor run of results at Oldham. He probably over achieved in his first month or two and got fans expectations up. He got a decent contract there but has a big game at home to Rochdale tomorrow as his home results since taking over haven’t been great. Hope he gets the time he needs to turn it round as he knows what he’s doing at that level