• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers old boys

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Not an old boy, but there was a Talk Sport v ITV commentators match in Qatar today, featuring Keane, Neville, McCoist and co, and Nigel Adderley wore his 1997-98 Tranmere shirt for the occasion.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Andy Mangan charged by the FA for using homophobic language. He is appealing the charge and strenuously denies any wrongdoing

Player
Manager
John King
I think it is likely several first team players will feature tomorrow night, given the long wait between games.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Rovers knocked out on penalties after 1-1 at full time. Jameson and lomax missing and it was the latter who scored our goal in the match.
Mumbongo took off at half time hopefully just to rest him for Boxing Day

Player
Manager
John King
I went tonight and thought we played quite well.

Mumbongo nowhere near match fit but impressed with his hold up play and pace and we did not have a focal point up front after he was subbed. Hughes and MacLear both had decent games and Simeu was totally dominant, as you would expect against players of that level. We conceded after he went off.

Burton was the sharpest of the youngsters, although Lomax took his goal well.

Reactions: Ian

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It looked like a fairly strong Rovers xi though a couple of unfamiliar names in Edgar and Mikey Davies at the back. A rare competitive game for some of the fringe players. Disappointing result given the limited opportunities they get. Without reserve team football it would have been good to make further progress and you have concerns that we couldn’t see off Nantwich given our relative strength.

Player
Manager
John King
It was a throw-together side and we were the better team for seventy minutes of the game, so I am not concerned. Nantwich only came into it when Mumbongo and Simeu went off and we were left with a team full of kids.

The players you would expect to perform - Hughes, MacLear, Simeu - played well.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
I went, and it was as described above but other than a few instances the level and standard for a league team mainly made up of squad youngsters was not that convincing for me. Because we don't have competitive reserve or youth games, u23\21, we are asking these lads to play maybe once a month. That can't be good, if they get pushed into replacing first eleven or as sub.

Good luck to Richie and Nantwich, in the next round.

Reactions: Boz

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I went, and it was as described above but other than a few instances the level and standard for a league team mainly made up of squad youngsters was not that convincing for me. Because we don't have competitive reserve or youth games, u23\21, we are asking these lads to play maybe once a month. That can't be good, if they get pushed into replacing first eleven or as sub.
The lack of a significant programme of matches for the fringe players needs to be looked at going forward. If they had more match time, then the failure to progress in these fringe competitions, which are almost the only playing opportunity for many would be less significant.

The starting xi we put out tonight had only M Davies, Edgar and Taylor who were devoid of any real experience, the others all have featured for Rovers in competitive games. While recognising the makeshift nature of the line-up tonight, there should have been enough in there to see off a team of part-timers.

Player
Manager
John King
The lack of a significant programme of matches for the fringe players needs to be looked at going forward. If they had more match time, then the failure to progress in these fringe competitions, which are almost the only playing opportunity for many would be less significant.

The starting xi we put out tonight had only M Davies, Edgar and Taylor who were devoid of any real experience, the others all have featured for Rovers in competitive games. While recognising the makeshift nature of the line-up tonight, there should have been enough in there to see off a team of part-timers.
I have been to countless Senior Cup matches down the years and when we play a mixture of squad players and youngsters we very often get knocked out. The result means nothing and I will bet Parkinson and Dawes were encouraged by many aspects of the performance.

There were several players in the side who had (often limited) first team experience, but it was a very young side. Perhaps you don't favour giving youngsters an opportunity against non-league journeymen and focus solely on the result rather than the performance in such games ?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
C
I have been to countless Senior Cup matches down the years and when we play a mixture of squad players and youngsters we very often get knocked out. The result means nothing and I will bet Parkinson and Dawes were encouraged by many aspects of the performance.

There were several players in the side who had (often limited) first team experience, but it was a very young side. Perhaps you don't favour giving youngsters an opportunity against non-league journeymen and focus solely on the result rather than the performance in such games ?
I’ve been to a few myself. However the team we put out ought to have been capable of progressing. Failing is more significant as this is the first season in which we’ve not been participating in a reserve league. Hence it becomes more important that we progress in these regional cups to allow the youngsters more playing time. Loaning them out doesn’t appear to work,Lomax didn’t seem to get any game time at Bootle or Williams at Nantwich for example. While not seen the latter in action, it was surprising that Lomax wasn’t given an opportunity, as he’s looked promising in Pizza Cup games. Don’t you accept that the current lack of playing opportunity for those outside the first team squad is unhealthy?

Player
Manager
John King
Don’t you accept that the current lack of playing opportunity for those outside the first team squad is unhealthy?

If we don't participate in a reserve league, all the more reason to give the youngsters a game yesterday. And being youngsters, they might lose.

We were by far the better side and development is far more important than the result in games like yesterday's.

overthewater

Player
chris malkin
If we don't participate in a reserve league, all the more reason to give the youngsters a game yesterday. And being youngsters, they might lose.

We were by far the better side and development is far more important than the result in games like yesterday's.
Maybe I'm missing something here, but why don't we take part in a reserve league ? Does one still exist which we could compete in ?