• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers old boys

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Successful people often move on to bigger and better things. I’d be more worried if they weren’t succeeding here in the first place or, from a sporting perspective, if L2 was the height of their ambition.

More important issue for me is to be able to replace any one individual without sacrificing overall progress, which is do-able but is always going to be a big challenge for clubs like us.
I think he lives around the Blackpool area as well so it's very local for him and also championship level.
We already have his successor at the club as well.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I think he lives around the Blackpool area as well so it's very local for him and also championship level.
We already have his successor at the club as well.
Yes micky mentioned Mark after the burton game which I’m guessing is my old mate Mark Cowan who I went to school with and has been on the pitch with the subs at half time recently so in and around the club already. Grew up in new ferry so a real local lad

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Successful people often move on to bigger and better things. I’d be more worried if they weren’t succeeding here in the first place or, from a sporting perspective, if L2 was the height of their ambition.

More important issue for me is to be able to replace any one individual without sacrificing overall progress, which is do-able but is always going to be a big challenge for clubs like us.

The problem with replacing staff is contracts. Or wether the replacement improves the fitness of the players.
The technology in sport fitness now is huge. It needs a fully trained person, not just a replacement.
Or is it the cheap option?

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Yes micky mentioned Mark after the burton game which I’m guessing is my old mate Mark Cowan who I went to school with and has been on the pitch with the subs at half time recently so in and around the club already. Grew up in new ferry so a real local lad
Mark was coaching the academy a few years ago. Also seen him in warm up and half time, wasn't aware he had a sports science degree like Andy Hodgson. Good luck to him.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
In the FA cup both Mullin and Otis khan score 2 goals to help their teams through to the third round. Ollie banks and Mike homes chesterfield win away at Wimbledon who beat us last week

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Ex-loanee Matt Pennington got Shrewsbury's second in a 3-1 win over Peterborough.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Otis Khan bags two for Grimsby at Cambridge.
Interestingly they showed him in a front two in the formation.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Paul Hall takes over interim charge of QPR as their manager joins rangers

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
The League One and League Two charts are generally reliable on the BBC. The non-league ones often aren't, but they can't realistically be expected to have in depth knowledge of non-league football and matches at that level are not even covered by commercial outlets.

The League One and League Two charts are generally reliable on the BBC. The non-league ones often aren't, but they can't realistically be expected to have in depth knowledge of non-league football and matches at that level are not even covered by commercial outlets.
EFL and VNL (Step 1) reports are all provided by the same agency, typically using local/localish reporters, mainly freelancers. Lower than Step 1 doesn’t get reports on the BBC other than, I suppose, for FA Cup games in the competition proper.

Reporting a formation correctly doesn’t require an in depth knowledge of any given level of football (non league or otherwise), just a basic understanding of the game they’re meant to be watching and reporting on.

Incidentally Khan played wide in a midfield five on Saturday.

Player
Manager
John King
EFL and VNL (Step 1) reports are all provided by the same agency, typically using local/localish reporters, mainly freelancers. Lower than Step 1 doesn’t get reports on the BBC other than, I suppose, for FA Cup games in the competition proper.
Commercial outlets would be making the same mistakes then, if they used their reports. Which they don't.

While I am not a great lover of Radio Merseyside, they are the only outlet that has provided coverage of our games on a consistent basis, including commentaries. Most commercial media simply aren't interested in the lower league / non-league game.

They’re the facts. Note I’m referring specifically to the BBC website rather than, say, local radio (BBC or otherwise), where I‘d agree coverage of local lower league stuff in general can vary significantly from place to place.

Commercial outlets would be making the same mistakes then, if they used their reports. Which they don't.
What the BBC (via the agency they engage) tend to get wrong more often that they should do, be it L2 or VNL, is the formation charts accompanying the narrative reports, more than the reports themselves. As the BBC website is the only place I’m aware of that publishes these formation charts, I‘d be interested to know which other commercial organisations you’re suggesting do so but don’t make these same mistakes.

Most commercial media simply aren't interested in the lower league / non-league game.
I agree, which is why it’s mostly farmed out to agencies these days, to the extent they cover it at all.

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King
As the BBC website is the only place I’m aware of that publishes these formation charts, I‘d be interested to know which other commercial organisations you’re suggesting do so but don’t make these same mistakes.
I did not suggest other commercial organisations publish formations. I said they don't publish them. That was my whole point.

The BBC's coverage of the lower reaches of the game will be uneven because the reporting at that level is of variable quality in general. They don't have the resources to send a Steve Wilson or Phil McNulty to a National League game, but at least they provide basis coverage of the lower reaches.

L2 and VNL match reports/formations on the BBC website are all outsourced to the same agency. The formation charts on the BBC website for matches at both levels are therefore equally susceptible to error. Which stacks up with my experience (if clearly not yours (#2,171)) of using them.

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King
L2 and VNL match reports/formations on the BBC website are all outsourced to the same agency. The formation charts on the BBC website for matches at both levels are therefore equally susceptible to error.
You are moving the goalposts now and resorting to point scoring. In my experience, the formations on the BBC website for matches involving Tranmere are reasonably accurate.

My fundamental point is that the BBC provide better coverage of the lower divisions and non league football than commercial broadcasters.

You are moving the goalposts now and resorting to point scoring. In my experience, the formations on the BBC website for matches involving Tranmere are reasonably accurate.

My fundamental point is that the BBC provide better coverage of the lower divisions and non league football than commercial broadcasters.
Unnecessary. In fact I’ve merely stayed on point, patiently addressing the issues arising from your reply (2,171) as relevant to the original point about the BBC’s formation charts. A wider discussion about BBC v commercial is fair enough, but not one for me.

But readers can draw their own conclusions about who‘s moving goal posts around and resorting to point scoring. I cba with any of that.

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King
Unnecessary. In fact I’ve merely stayed on point, patiently addressing the issues arising from your reply (2,171) as relevant to the original point about the BBC’s formation charts. A wider discussion about BBC v commercial is fair enough, but not one for me.

But readers can draw their own conclusions about who‘s moving goal posts around and resorting to point scoring. I cba with any of that.
The two issues are related. And on the highlighted point, ditto.