• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers old boys

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Ryan Watson with another goal for Salford.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Akins and Norwood on the scoresheets too. Could do with some of the Rovers old boys back with us.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Peter Clarke misses his first league minutes for some time as he’s pulled off at half time in Walsall’s defeat at cookies Bradford

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I’m just saying he’d have been a good replacement if Nevitt wanted to go and the club were willing to sell him. I’m not saying I want rid of Elliott. If it sounded like that, it wasn’t my intention.
I don't think Cook was ever a realistic target this summer.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I think before the season began we may have had a slim chance when they brought in Oliver on a big contract. Cookie is in the last year of his contract although on decent money. We would have had to push the boat out for him. We’ve gone down a different road with regards recruitment (mistakenly in my view).

We have zero chance of getting him now and I still think lessons haven’t been learnt in recruitment in attacking areas. 7 goals in 7 league games isn’t enough. Nevitt is not going to score on a regular basis so all the pressure is on Kane. Our other strikers are sadly injury prone.
Early days but at this rate I’m not sure we’ll score many more than we did last season and certainly won’t have ‘goals goals goals’

Player
Manager
John King
I think before the season began we may have had a slim chance when they brought in Oliver on a big contract. Cookie is in the last year of his contract although on decent money. We would have had to push the boat out for him. We’ve gone down a different road with regards recruitment (mistakenly in my view).

We have zero chance of getting him now and I still think lessons haven’t been learnt in recruitment in attacking areas. 7 goals in 7 league games isn’t enough. Nevitt is not going to score on a regular basis so all the pressure is on Kane. Our other strikers are sadly injury prone.
Early days but at this rate I’m not sure we’ll score many more than we did last season and certainly won’t have ‘goals goals goals’
The question is whether we could ever have afforded both Cook and Hemmings. I would imagine we could not.

The recruitment will ultimately only be as good as the wages we can pay, and I am pretty sure we can't compete with Salford, Bradford, Mansfield, Stockport etc for a number of players.

The emphasis on youth development was always likely to lead to inconsistency, at least in the short term, so perhaps Palios should have been more transparent about that to take some of the pressure off Mellon. Still a lot of games to play of course.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes I agree still early days and young inexperienced players will bring inconsistency. Agree cook will likely have been out of our price range.

However the promises of more entertainment and attacking football haven’t yet been seen with only 7 goals in 7 league games.

Last season rovers fans went along with the at times dull football because we had a great home record and were around the top 7 for large parts of the season. Still early days but at the moment we’re not seeing any better football (even the gillingham game was fairly flat for the most part), but we’re in the bottom half of the table.
Let’s wait though until at least 10 games when just under a quarter of the season will have been played

Player
Manager
John King
In fairness, I think the attacking football has been better than last season in the periods when we have been on top in games. I thought we were very good against Gillingham and both wing backs are exciting. The goal against Newcastle is another example.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I tend to agree with Sparky. You can pick out moments last season when we scored good goals but in general, it was poor as an attacking display. I really can't see how this season will be much different with the same attacking options. We've played around 9/10 games counting the cup competitions and the same pattern is emerging.

I also think RLC makes a good point regarding transparency. I also don't think it helped pre season when MM promised us risky football. I don't see this at all and is just more ammunition for people.

Player
Manager
John King
I still think there is more attacking intent in the displays this season, home and away, for all the inconsistencies.

It is a completely different squad of players that would not be capable of defending deep and holding out for a narrow victory as we did with Clarke and co. last season, even if they wanted to.

A blast from our darkest past….Trialist H, Jonny Margetts, scored a brace for Stamford in their 4-3 FA Cup defeat at Bromsgrove today.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
A blast from our darkest past….Trialist H, Jonny Margetts, scored a brace for Stamford in their 4-3 FA Cup defeat at Bromsgrove today.
It’s small comfort, I know, but most of the players we release seem to sink without trace. Very few seem to go on to have a decent career. Vaulks is to most obvious exception.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Max, Ash, Aaron, Declan off the top of my head still playing, bet there is a few more like George (goalkeeper) Davies, Ince who all started out in our school of excellence/academy. There are plenty more in the non league!

Something we won't be able to say in a few years time!

I was addressing the point about players we’d released, not developed and sold. Drysdale can’t be considered one to regret just yet, although clearly he hasn’t sunk without trace either (…just yet!)

Player
Manager
John King
I was addressing the point about players we’d released, not developed and sold. Drysdale can’t be considered one to regret just yet, although clearly he hasn’t sunk without trace either (…just yet!)
I am not sure Drysdale was actually released either. I think he might have chosen to leave for better things like the others quoted.