• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers (1) v Bluebirds (2)

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Barrow

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers (1) v Bluebirds (2)
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, August 5, 2023 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, August 5, 2023 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
@Sparky , I think you may be over analysing. It's just 90 minutes of football so far with new players, a new system and a new manager. I'd say we won't really know the state of play until ten or more games have played. Give the squad time to gel. We now have recognised strikers in the squad and I'm sure they will make a difference once fully fit.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
@Sparky , I think you may be over analysing. It's just 90 minutes of football so far with new players, a new system and a new manager. I'd say we won't really know the state of play until ten or more games have played. Give the squad time to gel. We now have recognised strikers in the squad and I'm sure they will make a difference once fully fit.
Yes as Dawesy said it’s a marathon not a sprint.

There are just a few concerns carried over dawesys 9 games at the end of last season and pre season so far. I’m not a fan of 4-3-3 and once again we’ve not scored in open play.
As you say we can’t judge until our new signings are fit

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I don't think he is to be honest. The performance was very similar to the tail end of last season, despite this now being Dawes' squad with the majority of the new signings arriving very early in the summer and having a full pre season under him.

Of course he won't be judged on one game, but he has now had ten senior matches in charge and there needs to be a significant improvement on what we have seen to date.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes but most of those games which were at the back end of the season consisted of a team that could not score for toffee. We had a combination of Saunders, Hemmings and the enigma that was Joel Mumbongo. What I'm saying is, let's judge him when we have a fully fit squad and some proven strikers on the pitch. If we are not winning games or at least scoring goals, then we can make judgements.

Player
Manager
John King
Yes but most of those games which were at the back end of the season consisted of a team that could not score for toffee. We had a combination of Saunders, Hemmings and the enigma that was Joel Mumbongo. What I'm saying is, let's judge him when we have a fully fit squad and some proven strikers on the pitch. If we are not winning games or at least scoring goals, then we can make judgements.
Jennings is a proven striker / advanced midfielder and Saunders is capable of scoring, but we barely created anything in general play today. If he is going to get the best out of Norris and Dennis I am not convinced the current 433 set up is going to work. We need to play a strike partnership and get sufficient bodies in the box.

The general pattern of play and organisation of the team was no better than the end of last season, which is what concerns me most.

ADD

Player
Norwood
I think at times our performance was more than decent but as has been pointed out the failings that were there all last season (not just Dawes 9 games in charge) were still in evidence. We should however keep poor play and Dawes decisions/ formations separate. Both their goals were down to defensive errors. We know that neither Dawes nor MM would have coached players to allow players at the top of the box/ just outside box the freedom of PP to get off a shot with no pressure on the ball whatsoever. Poor defending pure and simple albeit for their second Turnbull was blocked off nicely by their player. We also gave the ball away far too often with aimless/ poor passes. Also given we had to play without our 3 main strikers allowances must be made for that.
As to Dawes decision making Walker starting was 100% a wrong decision - he was clearly nowhere near fit. Morris should have started in his place. Also I applaud his efforts to get back in the game with the positive subs but Taylor was brought on too late and asking him to hug the left touch line seemed a bit pointless to me given he was ignored and only touched the ball once.
Positives. McGee looked very solid and I liked his playing so far forward although would be nervous at some point this season he will get lobbed when we lose the ball. Leake also looked good though his passing/ crossing needs to impove with several sent sailing over everybody. Hendry also had a good game I felt and was everywhere. All in all some positives to take from the game against a Barrow side who I thought defended well and kept an excellent shape and who were better than I had expected.
Hopefully the Carabao Cup game will allow some more minutes for Dennis/ Norris/ Hemmings (if he is staying) and Taylor who perhaps should start.

Player
Manager
John King
Defending poorly from set plays when the ball is cleared to the edge of the box has been a particular issue under Dawes. We conceded a very similar goal to those yesterday in the final game of last season against Northampton.

Last edited:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Defending poorly from set plays when the ball is cleared to the edge of the box has been a particular issue under Dawes. We conceded a very similar goal to those yesterday in the final game of last season against Northampton.
Yes and the first goal was two errors. One not picking up the lad who had the initial shot and two whoever was marking Canavan lost him in the second phase. Annoying when we had everyone back which of course invites more of their players forward

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
We did it 2 or 3 times in the Northampton game and it was the same player each time left unmarked.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy

Some pretty poor defending on the edge of the box there. I hope they iron that out soon!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I can’t understand brining everyone back to defend a corner. Even if we just leave one up they’ll put two back. It just invites pressue but it’s even worst that their lad on the edge of the box wasn’t even picked up

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir

Some pretty poor defending on the edge of the box there. I hope they iron that out soon!

The highlights are the same as on Sky but miss some key moments like Hawkes shot saved not long after they scored and the Dennis nearly miss

Reactions: Ian

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I can’t understand brining everyone back to defend a corner. Even if we just leave one up they’ll put two back. It just invites pressue but it’s even worst that their lad on the edge of the box wasn’t even picked up
Saunders with his pace would be ideal to leave up.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson

Frankly, Ian, I didn't notice ANY defending at the edge of the box - and inside the box we looked pretty static.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Sat matchday programme attached.

Attachments

• 001_23_24_BARROW_H_SBL2_582023_4.pdf
    7.8 MB · Views: 71

ADD

Player
Norwood
This sums up the issue - passing round the back before a hoof forward more often than not as insufficent movement/ attacking MF...

363389502_10161755479968933_1786249604372978804_n.jpg

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
This sums up the issue - passing round the back before a hoof forward more often than not as insufficent movement/ attacking MF...

363389502_10161755479968933_1786249604372978804_n.jpg
A great bunch of stats, ADD. I’d love to know how many yards we gained through all those 600 passes. The net total could even be negative. :(

Reactions: ADD