• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers (1) v Bluebirds (2)

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Barrow

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers (1) v Bluebirds (2)
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, August 5, 2023 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, August 5, 2023 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
Some positives though.
McAlear stripped fir and ready when he come, and showed he could see a pass, even though he was playing RB.

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Not great i wont make it mutch and my record over the last few years is terrible watching rovers think its 1 win in aroynd 12 games and not much goals for to show for it think once we get the front two lads fit we will be ok but really frustrating

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
We were far too slow in possession against an ordinary Barrow team, a worldie to win it but the header from Leake was poor.
The midfield was pretty poor, Walker was nowhere fit enough to start, Hendry took too many touches and Lewis contributed little. Playing 4 3 3 does not really suit us.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I'd rather have a fit Lewis in there Boz. Walker has the class, but he didn't have the energy to run into a space to receive a ball, or to deter opponents running past him.
Fair points, Higgy 2. Personally think Lewis is likely to give away something daft when in a defensive role and would rather use him as an attacking midfielder. However if Walker so far off fitness, sounds we may have few other options.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
We were far too slow in possession against an ordinary Barrow team, a worldie to win it but the header from Leake was poor.
The midfield was pretty poor, Walker was nowhere fit enough to start, Hendry took too many touches and Lewis contributed little. Playing 4 3 3 does not really suit us.
Did the midfield get any more incisive when Morris came on?

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
You're right, but I thought we went 4-4-2 second half to counter Barrows 3-5-2, which we couldn't break down.
I thought our midfield balance was poor. And Walker is nowhere near match fit.
I was encouraged in some respects but need something better in midfield and right full back as well as getting our strikers fit.
Morris needs to start and CJ, should not have been subbed!
Mind you, the number of subs disrupted any hope of sustained pressure!

Reactions: Boz

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Morris made a difference when he came on and should have started. I think we probably wasted the first half with players that are not going to win us games. I hope Lewis gets the chop soon as I really think fresh air could do a better job in midfield. Defence was OK but I'd prefer a proper right back than O'Connor. Walker was not fit but can be useful if he gets his fitness up. Jennings did quite well but is not an out and out striker.

I'm not getting too carried away after the first game. We had chances and I think once we get Dennis and Norris fully fit and raring to go we should be able to convert some of those chances we had today. There were too many high and wide shots today but I think we'll settle down after a few games.

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
Did the midfield get any more incisive when Morris came on?
I thought so Boz.
Take your point re Lewis, but he did ok in that role. His "fitness" also enabled him to give someone on the ball an option.
Totally agree with Bimart re Walker and Hendry.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I thought it was a disappointing performance, with a lot of familiar failings from the tail end of last season.

We started brightly in the first fifteen minutes, with nice link up play down the left side between Hendry, Hawkes and Jennings. However, there was no real end product with balls flashed across the box which were not attacked, or fairly tame efforts from distance. It was poor defending from a set play for their opening goal and I don't think we really recovered from it for the rest of the first half, as our play became quite ragged and we looked vulnerable defensively when we turned the ball over.

In the second half Morris did make a difference when he came on and we had a reasonable amount of possession. However, I still had the feeling that Barrow comfortably sat in their shape and kept us at arm's length and there was no real imagination or penetration in our play.

Ironically, the best chances we created in open play were the result of good through balls from the full backs, rather than any measured build up: the two excellent passes from the impressive Leake in the first half, which Hawkes and Jennings should have done better with, and the ball from McAlear at the death, which Dennis almost got on to with excellent movement.

As has been commented above and I said myself in pre-season, I am not at all convinced the 433 suits these players. Jennings was far too isolated in the central striker role, as was Norris when he came on. We don't have a huge amount of creativity in midfield to begin with, and too many balls are whipped into the box without being anticipated. The decision to start Walker ahead of Morris was bizarre given that he was clearly unfit, and I hope Kieron is not going to be frozen out by Dawes. He is one genuinely creative player we do have.

I thought the one real positive was Leake's performance, a very good display in the first half in particular.

There is a sequence of very difficult matches in the weeks ahead, and better performances than today's will be required to earn some points.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
A disappointing result in a game where we probably deserved a point.
I wasn’t convinced with the 4-3-3 from the beginning. There was some nice football at times but it felt like we had to score the perfect goal instead of just putting balls into the box. Although both hawkes and CJ had good chances it was no surprise to me the game ended with us once again not scoring in open play.
Dawes for me picked the wrong team and system. Walker still looks cumbersome and needs to lose a few pounds. Lewis isn’t a central midfielder and as boz says always look likely to give away a free kick. Saunders did what he did last season - worked hard but never looks like scoring.
Playing 3 up top meant CJ was isolated and he isn’t a number 9, much better playing deeper when he can create.
Dennis and Norris looked half decent in their cameos and I can’t help thinking they should have started and maybe come off in the second half.

No need to panic yet but a real shame a decent attendance saw us lose. Very early days but tough games ahead not least MK dons next week who put 5 past wrexscum today.

Stupid amounts of injury time today. 14 minutes in total over the two halves when no physio was ever on. Also it’s amazing to think how big the squad is with none of Hemmings, merrie, Jolley or hughes on the bench never mind youngsters like Davies or Hockenhull.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think the refs will probably calm down a little with the new time wasting rules etc as there were 15 mins extra in last night game too, although quite refreshing to see players actually playing football instead of wasting time and feigning injury. Whether that lasts remains to be seen.

I don't think the system was that bad today. We had chances but wasted them, but I think that has more to do with the players on the pitch than the actual tactics.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I don't think the system was that bad today. We had chances but wasted them, but I think that has more to do with the players on the pitch than the actual tactics.
Not sure I agree, as the pattern of the game was very similar to the final nine games of last season. But time will tell.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
With Walker clearly not fit, Merrie not yet fully fit the midfield looks pretty poor to say the least, Morris has to start as he's much better than several others
I agree. Especially when you’re at home first game of the season. You want your best attacking players on the pitch.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
17 shots. 3 on target. Very familiar….

Dawes complementary post match about Lewis. Really is one of his favourites

drwhoman

You wonder about the Rovers fitness regime and our willingness to sign players who seem to have issues in the this regard. Even more to the point, why are they chosen to play? Wishful thinking ahead of reality? Arguably the Club’s best player, Morris, sits on the bench. Not a good start for the Club or its Manager. Very disappointing against a team we should be beating if we want a decent season.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
It is only one game but if we start the season poorly I do worry. You need to remember we finished at least 17 points off the likes of Bradford, Salford and Stockport last season. Then you have Wrexham and Notts county albeit both conceded 5 today. Then the teams who came down plus the likes of gillingham and Doncaster who have spent a lot.

It doesn’t get any easier at MK next week so we need Norris and Dennis fit as quick as we can. I’m still concerned though about the 4-3-3 and midfield in general. We’ve almost got too many options to choose from.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
In 2023 Tranmere have netted 21 goals - including three own goals and seven penalties. That's nearly 50% of their strikes this calendar year. In ability to score from open play is a huge issue

The above is from a trip to the moon but a concern I’ve had