• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers (1) v Bluebirds (2)

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Barrow

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers (1) v Bluebirds (2)
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, August 5, 2023 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, August 5, 2023 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Here we go then. The start of a potentially exciting season with a new management team and hopefully more goals with the signings we’ve made.

First up its Barrow at home. The Bluebirds appointed ex Halifax manager Pete Wild last year and despite failing out of play off contention late in the season, achieved a respectable 9th place, finishing 4 points off 12th place rovers.

Ex rovers Sam Foley and George Ray are still there but they lost last seasons top scorer Josh Gordon. Dean Campbell who we were linked with left Aberdeen to join and they also have ex Port Vale striker Jamie Proctor who on his day is decent at this level. On paper signings like Worrall and Acquah are decent and existing players like Robbie Gotts & Ben Whitfield can be dangerous. So Barrow will pose a threat going forward and if the back 4 and keeper is as it was against Wigan then our new defence will be tested.

As for rovers much will depend on the fitness of various players. Who knows whether the likes of Dennis, Norris & Walker are all fit to start. If everyone is fit then I’d go with 4-4-2 but we know Dawes likes his 4-3-3 system so it’ll be interesting. Of course there are still a few days before Saturday so time to bring a loanee in but my team would be:

Mcgee

O’Connor Davies Turnbull Leake

Morris Hendry Walker Hawkes

Norris Dennis

I doubt that will be the line up given injuries with it possible Lewis and Saunders both get a start. Prediction: a home win for me to get us off and running.

Last edited:

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
It will be 4 3 3 as we have played that system in all the pre season games.
I think the team to start will be

Mcgee
O'Connor Davies turnbull leake
Lewis Morris hendry
Hawkes Jennings Saunders

I don't think Walker, Dennis or Norris have played enough minutes yet to start. I think we will win 2 1

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
My starting line up when everybody is fit would be exactly as Sparky states above.

However, on Saturday I think we will start exactly as Bigmart says, with Morris playing in the hole behind Jennings.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Think we will win 2-1.

I don't think Norris or Dennis will start either as won't be fit enough so Bigmart's selection is likely. Only possible curveball for me is Taylor. Dawes talked about some surprising starts who people won't expect. Unlikely I know but we will see.

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Yea i am going 3-0 with muir and aldo making guest appearances Lol wishful thinking but yes would be great. To get off to a winning start when was the last time we did it on opening day

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I’m plumping for a 1-1 draw while hoping for a win and at least one of our strikers to score. ;)

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Still think it will take a few games to find some rhythm and fitness but can't bet against a win so Rovers to win 2-0.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
Just as in the start of every new season it will take time for every team to gel and perform to expected standard. The key to success will be in keeping that time to as short as possible and not have to play catch-up to those who get off to a quicker start. A win on Saturday, given home advantage, is really a must and I'd settle for a 1-0.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Forecast looks pretty bad. Hopefully doesn’t dampen the atmosphere

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Yea its duck weather Lol bring your wellies if your in the kop or just bring a rubber boat

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
1-1 it's just a feeling I have! Would love to start with a win!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Guessing it’s 4-3-3 with hawkes and Saunders either side of CJ. Hendry, Walker and Lewis in midfield

ADD

Player
Norwood
F2xNPiYWkAA7T9Q